Appliance Offers

I'm looking to replace my 17 year old AEG which has given sterling service but now finally conked out due to limescale problems.

My current machine has a stainless steel drum inside a s/s tub. I understand that most of the new machines actually have a plastic tub these days to save cost and meet EU regs re. energy ratings. These plastic tubs can be easily damaged with loose coins, buttons, paper clips etc. being left in pockets by mistake.

How can I find out how a washing machine is made? Which magazine does not specify any models with totally stainless steel interiors, and none of the manufacturers blurb seems to cover this point.

I don't mind paying for a decent machine, but don't want to fall into the trap of buying a 'name' only to discover that production methods have changed and what was a quality brand (manufacture, materials and reliability) has now gone down market and 'plastic.'

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

If you want a washing machine made as well as your 17 year old AEG you cannot buy another AEG. They are still relatively decent but now produce washing machines from as little as £300 so they can't possibly be anywhere near as well made. If you want a washing machine to compete with the quality of your old machine and with a stainless outer tub you need to buy a Miele or an ISE10 washing machine (which has a 10 year guarantee). If you think they are expensive, they are probably no more expensive in real terms than your 17 year old AEG.

The plastic tubs are simply cheaper and easier to make. I don't believe it's anything to do with EU regs or energy ratings. If they were then the best quality washing machines mentioned above would be breaking those regulations.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi WasherHelp and thanks for the reply.

I think we spent c.£400 on the AEG 17 years ago, so in today's money that would be a lot of ££££££s.

As mentioned, I don't mind paying for an equally good machine - even £800 over that timeframe is less than £50 a year, so works out much 'cheaper' than a lower cost model (I hope that makes sense to you!)

What bothers me is that all the cost of a new machine seems to be aimed at lights, LED displays, push buttons, umpteen useless programmes etc. All I want (and had with the AEG) is a solid build, a good spin speed, a couple of knobs to indicate temperature and wash cycle and the ability to choose to rinse/spin only. There's only two of us, and both have office jobs so no really mucky washing to do but it would be nice to be able wash superking duvets if that's possible. The dry cleaner charges £15 a pop for those.

Yes Binky, £800 in today's money is possibly even less than you paid for the AEG 17 years ago in real terms. It sounds like the best machine for you is the ISE10 It has 10 year guarantee, a commitment to no big mark-up on spares, plenty of technical information and even support from ISE and is a simple machine, with a semi-commercial build and a stainless outer tub.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

An update here. Seeing as the machine I already have is still excellent build quality, OH has decided to repair it himself. The old heating element has been removed (full of horrible limescale) and the hoses and pump cleaned. I ordered a new element today from Electrolux.

Here's something interesting for your readership: if you go on-line and look for AEG spares, they are more expensive than the same part under the Electrolux name. My heating element for instance is £76 if you ask for an AEG spare, but only £24 if you ask for it under Electrolux (the part ordering numbers are exactly the same). Is there an explanation for this?

Electrolux and AEG are owned by the same company group but as far as I know Electrolux only sell built in washing machines in the UK. If anything they are supposed to be a slightly higher quality brand than the AEG washing machines so the AEG part should be cheaper. Nothing would surprise me, companies sell things for what they can get away with rather than what they are worth. I can't think of a logical reason why there would be such a price difference. Do you have the part number for me to check? Were both spares at the manufacturer's sites?