Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

squeeze

Washing Machine/washer: Lg F1480Tds Vs Aeg L64850Le

FIRST POST. Note since it would not allow me to post in the "I'M UNDECIDED" forums, I decided to post in here. I hope this is acceptable especially since the other forums seem to be four years since the last time anyone posted in there!

----

Hello,

Can I beg anyone for a recommendation between two washing machines, please? It would also be great if you have current knowledge, experience or servicing of LG 1400 RPM washing machines (especially the Direct Drive ones) or recent AEG washing machines!

Our ancient (well over 15 years) AEG Oko_Lavamat 6205 washing machine broke down last week with a broken drum or mounting. So, I spent most of yesterday doing heavy research on a suitable replacement.

I checked out UK, US and German consumer agency reports on consistently best brand machines under performance testing and most reliable based on consumer surveys. They short list of brands came out to be: Miele, Siemens, AEG/Electrolux, Bosch, and LG.

However, when I started to check pricing I realised most, if not all, the Miele and Siemens machines would be beyond my budget or the value added for jumps in price, compared to other brands, of GBP 200 or more was not clear!

In addition, even though the Bosch machines were very attractively priced, I saw consistent customer reports across multiple machines and even generations of machines of issues with load balancing, halting machines during spins, broken pumps and motors ... This did not fill me with much confidence!

Anyway, after more detailed individual machine reviews, I came to the conclusion these were the two best mid-range buys available:

1. LG F1480TDS

- Best price: GBP 529.

- Manufacturer Guarantee: 10 years (drum)

- Energy rating: A+++

- Energy consumption: 1.04KWh

- Spin efficiency: A

- Capacity: 8kg

- Spin speed: 1400 rpm

- Unique: Direct Drive, quietest on the market, steam cycle, intelligent dry load weighing.

- Cons: door does not open flat (120 degrees from what I can tell) so loading and unloading could be made easier. Power button separate from pause button so if you hit power button accidentally you may lose where you are in the cycle and have to start over. The child lock also seems to not affect the power button to avoid this issue ... This is an issue because in our house we often have to pause the washing machine so that someone else can run water for a shower without interference (low mains water pressure sucks and is apparently super expensive to fix)! It would be all too easy to accidentally press the power button ...

Video:

Which? UK reports:

- Review: http://img35.imagesh...80tdsreview.jpg

- Test results: http://img708.images...tdstestresu.jpg

- Specification: http://img189.images...tdsspecific.jpg

2. AEG Lavamat L64850LE

- Best price: GBP 400.

- Manufacturer Guarantee: 1 year

- Energy rating: A+

- Energy consumption: 1.19KWh

- Spin efficiency: B

- Capacity: 7kg

- Spin speed: 1400 rpm

- Unique: Super Eco program - ability to wash straight from cold mains.

- Cons: Noisy spin, Super Eco program require special detergent, short drain hose (may or may not be a problem).

Video:

Which? UK reports:

- Review: http://img856.images...850lereview.jpg

- Test results: http://img97.imagesh...850letestre.jpg

- Specification: http://img190.images...850lespecif.jpg

Both are considered Best Buys by Which? UK and the Germans seem to love this particular AEG model according to Amazon.DE.

So, if money was no consideration, which of the two would you guys buy or do you have a recommendation that is clearly better value, please? :blink:

Edited by squeeze

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I wouldn't think there's a massive difference in quality but I would buy an AEG. They've been making washing machines much longer and the repair network, spares and technical information on error codes are better in the UK.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I've done that for you. You should be able to edit the title using the "use full editor" button when editing.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.