Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

vans998

Miele W1512 Leak Help

I have a miele w1512 that has started leaking from the bottom left hand corner under under where the drain filter door is located, it appears to be running from underneath directly underneath, to start with after a couple washes it was just a small amount but appears to getting more and more after each wash and is now leaking from the dispensing drawer too.

No error codes have been shown and other than the leak it has been a perfect machine and always worked normally (fills, drains, takes in powder etc), although the leak is so bad you cannot leave it turned on for more than a few seconds!

FYI: the drain outlet doesn't appear to be blocked and the hoses at the back of the machine for the cold water feed/drain are fully connected with what appears to be no blockages etc.

Is there a hose underneath this 'drain filter area' that has maybe become dislodged or become blocked? I've called miele and they suggest an engineer but this costs at least £250! :0(

Any help or knowledge would be much appreciated.

The machine is only 3 and half years old but now out of guarantee, it is used two-three times weekly and up to now we have had no other problems, and we brought Miele based on good reviews of solid build quality and it has been well looked after.

Thanks in advance.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hi

The most likely solution is that it is leaking from the detergent drawer. The hose that takes the water from the drawer to the drum is blocked with old detergent/softner residue and the water cannot get passed it, so it finds the next obvious escape, which is out the front! It's a fairly easy fix involving removal of front and left side panels and then cleaning out the hose. If you're in the UK the cost of Miele call out is £105 (not £250) including an hours work and it should be done easily in this time (unless you have a dryer stacked on top). Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input Murphy. I would add that if the leak is from the area you describe it should leak only whilst the machine is filling . If it ;leaks all the time from the wash it could be from the pump or sump hose but at less than 4 years that would be unusual on a Miele.

I too wonder where the £250 figure comes from. Someone else earlier this month said they'd been told the same. It must be an estimated cost including parts but if so it's misleading for Miele to quote any figure like that as it may not even need parts.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your input Murphy. I would add that if the leak is from the area you describe it should leak only whilst the machine is filling . If it ;leaks all the time from the wash it could be from the pump or sump hose but at less than 4 years that would be unusual on a Miele.

I too wonder where the £250 figure comes from. Someone else earlier this month said they'd been told the same. It must be an estimated cost including parts but if so it's misleading for Miele to quote any figure like that as it may not even need parts.

The £250 is probably the new 'Remedy Plus' option which Miele now offer. For this you get the machine fixed (upto a price) including spares and an extra 12 months warranty on top. For some it's a good shout, but a lot of washing machines don't need parts just a good clean out of pipework.

Good option, but not always necessary unless you like the idea of another 12 month waranty after the reapir date.

The £250 is probably the new 'Remedy Plus' option which Miele now offer. For this you get the machine fixed (up to a price) including spares and an extra 12 months warranty on top. For some it's a good shout, but a lot of washing machines don't need parts just a good clean out of pipework.

Good option, but not always necessary unless you like the idea of another 12 month warranty after the repair date.

Thanks Murphy. Lots of companies seem to be doing similar fixed price repairs these days although £250 is a lot more expensive than the others, which considering the price of Miele spares is to be expected. Personally I don't like fixed price repair schemes as they can only work if the majority of people pay more than they would have if they'd just paid for the repair, which subsidises the ones with more expensive faults. I also expect it's more likely than not that the amount of people who pay more could far exceed those with more expensive parts requirements resulting in extra profit to be generated.

However, as most people don't know which category their fault lies in at the time of booking the repair the idea of a fixed price repair may be appealing to some. The fact that you can also pay over 12 months at £20.75 a month will also be attractive to some. I can't know the figures behind the Remedy Plus scheme so I don't know if my comments above are fair, or unfair, but if they aren't true then Miele are doing a very generous thing :-)

The fact that 2 people have reported quotes of £250 to repair their Miele gives the impression they may not have been given the option of a normal repair? It seems strange that neither said it would cost £105 plus parts if require (£111 in central London), which is the real situation. The remedy plus at £250 is only an option.

There are no "up to a cost" figures on the repair cost limits in the terms & conditions, they just say if the appliance is considered beyond economical repair they will opt out and refund the £250. I wouldn't expect Miele engineers to concede that too many Miele appliances are beyond economical repair though when their entire ethos is to be forever better, and the appliances are built to last at least 20 years. So I would expect in practice that most repairs would be honoured on that scheme as long as they weren't quite old?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

This article is useful for diagnosing leaks - 5 tips to diagnose a washing machine leak

I know this is quite an old thread but it's great that it's still here - thanks very much to all concerned!

I just want to add that I had a similar problem with a Miele novotronic W833 that was leaking from near the filter. With the help of this thread I worked out that it was only leaking as the drum was filling so probably caused by blocked pipes.

Two applications of 'Mr Magic' foaming drain cleaner (£1.00 each from the budget shop, poured into the soap dispenser not the drum and leave to work before thoroughly rinsing as per instructions on the bottle) and the leak is gone, normality restored, joy unbounded.

Now what was that about £250.00???

• Like 1

Hello Jeanette. The problem with the leak is that it could be coming from well over a dozen different places. Some leaks can be very easy to fix, and hardly need any parts. Other leaks can be extremely expensive to fix. So without knowing what is causing the leak you can't really make much of a judgement call on whether it's worth repairing or not. The only thing I can say is that Miele washing machines are designed to last about 20 years under normal average use. So at 17, especially if by any chance it has been washing for a large family it may be better to accept that it's had its day and look at buying a new one.

Alternatively you need to be prepared to spend at least a £110 to get it repaired even if it doesn't need any parts if you get out a Miele engineer. There aren't many independent engineers that will repair Miele washing machines, but if by any chance there is a local engineer who is prepared to have a look at it then it might be worth him having a look if ht hey don't charge too much. Parts on old Miele washing machines can be very expensive though.

It would be better if you could take the dryer off before an engineer came if possible. Some engineers can be marry about having to remove a dryer first especially if they are only giving an estimate.