Appliance Offers
MarkB

Miele W412 - Repair Or Replace?

Hi,

I bought my machine around 7 years ago. Until recently it only had one problem which was repaired under guarantee. Over the last few months, it doesn't always spin out properly at the end of a cycle and the clothes, although not sopping wet, need an extra spin. It is odd that even though it doesn't spin at the end of a wash cycle, if I then set it to "drain/spin" it spins OK. I was looking the Miele site and it seems a service with repairs is around £200. The machine has taken a bit of a battering as for 2 of the 7 years, I ran a B&B and regularly used it 3 or 4 times a day loaded with heavy egyptian cotton bedding (often slightly overloaded). I'm just wondering if it is worth spending that kind of money to repair or should we push the boat out and replace it. Out machine is in a cupboard in our basement which is also a TV room so noise is an issue. I have been looking at the W5824 because of the quiet motor and also the 1600 spin.

PS - I have cleaned the filter and run the machine twice with HG Service Engineer. I also use a Lidl limescale tablet about every other wash so I doubt the machine is scaled.

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

A 7 year old Miele washing machine should in theory be definitely worth repairing. Miele say they are designed for a life of 20 years. The fault you describe isn't necessarily expensive, it depends on if any parts are needed and what they are. It sounds like a possible partial blockage - as if it's not pumping out fast enough - maybe even in the small connection under the u-bend in the sink (if the drain hose is connected so it pumps out into the u-bend).

Other than that it depends on what's gone wrong. Even if it's had a lot of use it should still last longer than 7 years but I wouldn't blame you for thinking it may be better to buy another if you've used it 3 or 4 times a day in a B&B. If you'd used it normally you could argue that a Miele washing machine should have lasted a lot longer than 7 years..

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Regarding the possibility that the washing machine is just not draining fast enough but you can't see any blockage in the pump filter make sure you check there isn't a partial blockage in the end of the drain hose especially if it's connected to pump out into the u-bend under the sink. These plastic tubes that the drain hose connects too are notorious for partial or even full blockages as they narrow the aperture and small buttons or bits of bra under-wire can get trapped in there - Pump has no blockages, filter is clear and it runs but it still won't drain water

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi

this is a difficult choice. It could be something very simple i.e blocked internal pipework which affects the electronic water level sensor and produces some odd symptoms, like poor spin, poor rinsing and a few others. This is easily remedied by having a good clean out of the necessary pipework and in some cases where possible re calibration of the sensor. The worse scenario is the sensor is actually faulty and as it is part of the electronic woud be quite costly.

Miele UK charge £105 for a call out including an hour and this should cover a clean out and testing. They also do a £66 estimate charge, so speak to them again about this alternative and trust the engineer to give an honest opinion! They can usually look at how many 'hours' your machine has clocked up which will give a good view of exactly how well used it has been which may well determine which way you go. I have an 18 year old Miele which is now a bit noisy but has been great!

Hope this is useful