John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Price Variations

nuttee1

• Members

I recently purchased a washing machine from a well known online clearance company. On the auction site it gave details of the condition, ie unboxed/unused and if there is any damage to the item, the item I bid on and won stated the store price of £279.99 and was unboxed and unused with no damage.

At 1st I was pleased with the price of £152 +£30 delivery but when my receipt came in the post the store price of the item showed £229.99 (£50 difference) then showed the discount line as 'Previously Sold -£77.00' .

I called 1 branch who confirmed the price of £229.99 and said that it had been at that price for as far back as they could check on their records, I then visited another branch who had the exact model at £279.99. I'm not expecting delivery until the 2nd January but would like to know other peoples views on whats happened as I feel either they should credit £50 back to my account or give me a choice of selecting a machine that has a consistant price tag of £279.99. What do you think???

• Root Admin

I've moved this to the consumer section as it appears to be a consumer related issue. I presume you mean you are expecting delivery on 2nd of July (not January)

If you have any proof of the cheaper price it might help, but otherwise they could just say you made a mistake. Retailing web sites have had a lot of problems regarding pricing. There's been many examples where something has been displayed at a very cheap price only to be retracted as a mistake. After several high profile and controversial cases where things were advertised at a fraction of their real price (due to misplaced decimal points and other mistakes) most web sites will now have something in their terms and conditions saying they have a right to amend prices if they were mistakenly advertised too cheap.

_

White goods Blog

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

So is this an auction site, like Ebay? Hmm. I don't fancy your chances on getting a refund. The way I understand it, you've bid on a particular make/model of machine and won. The exact price it may have originally been advertised at is immaterial. Well, maybe that's too strong a word. What I'm trying to say is an items value is more important than it's price. Obviously people have a price in mind, it effects what goods they look at. But you need to judge an items value and work out if it's a good price or not.

Speaking generally - You cannot demand a retailer sell you goods at the price they're advertised at. I think it's called an 'offer to treat'. You then make an offer to buy them at that price. The only way the law/Trading Standards would get involved is if the retailer is purposefully and continually misleading the consumer with false pricing. If it's a genuine mistake, as in the examples Washerhelp gives, the retailer is well within their rights to withdraw the goods and not honour any sales. Sometimes they do honour them, out of sheer goodwill.

I know of retailers that are always advertising goods at supposedly reduced prices, e.g RRP £100, was £80, now £40. But they may never had advertised the goods at £100 in the first place, or indeed £80. (Legally, I think sale goods have to have been on sale at the higher price for 28 days, but not necessarily at that particular store.) The way I see it is if it's not good value at £40, it doesn't matter what the original RRP was, and I walk on by.

I understand you now feel you haven't quite got the bargain you thought, but put it this way, if you'd not found out about the original price would you still be happy with the machine? If you're still unhappy then call the retailer, make your complaint and see what they say. They may offer to cancel the sale and you can look elsewhere for something better.