Appliance Offers

I have had a machine now for about 4-5 years which I am needing to replace.....it only cost me £145 in a closing down sale so I guess I have had pretty good use for that price.....it started getting very noisy, then covering my clothes with white (rubbery?) bits and now has started leaking. I have married recently and my husband wanted a Zanussi machine as he has had one in the past which he swears by as being reliable. However I have a minute kitchen and the present machine is only 49 - 50cm depth and all Zanussis we have looked at are out of the question as too deep. Most machines are in fact 59 - 60 cm in depth which would mean we couldn't open the door where our food etc is kept. It is a council flat so have to make do with the layout as it is but can only accomodate 54-55 depth max and that would be a squeeze. We cannot afford a huge amount either as just spent all spare money on the wedding so maybe £300 tops. I have been looking at Beko and Haier machines and they will fit into the depth I can accomodate. I am aware that these are probably at the lower end of the scale but what are your experiences with these and are there any others you would recommend with the smaller depth?

I was interested to see elsewhere the comments on using liquids for washing v powder as I have used liquids for ages and my husband powder...seems he was right!

Sue Channon - Aberdeen

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I heard Zanussi isn't very reliable. You're best off getting a German make like Bosch.

Can't have Bosch it is too deep!

Sue Channon - Aberdeen

I have had a machine now for about 4-5 years which I am needing to replace.....it only cost me £145 in a closing down sale so I guess I have had pretty good use for that price.....it started getting very noisy, then covering my clothes with white (rubbery?) bits and now has started leaking. I have married recently and my husband wanted a Zanussi machine as he has had one in the past which he swears by as being reliable. However I have a minute kitchen and the present machine is only 49 - 50cm depth and all Zanussis we have looked at are out of the question as too deep. Most machines are in fact 59 - 60 cm in depth which would mean we couldn't open the door where our food etc is kept. It is a council flat so have to make do with the layout as it is but can only accomodate 54-55 depth max and that would be a squeeze. We cannot afford a huge amount either as just spent all spare money on the wedding so maybe £300 tops. I have been looking at Beko and Haier machines and they will fit into the depth I can accomodate. I am aware that these are probably at the lower end of the scale but what are your experiences with these and are there any others you would recommend with the smaller depth?

I was interested to see elsewhere the comments on using liquids for washing v powder as I have used liquids for ages and my husband powder...seems he was right!

I forgot to add that also there are jagged bits on the drum as if it has been torn apart in one small corner!

Sue Channon - Aberdeen

Someone asked me about Beko washing machines the other day - Beko washing machines You could buy worse. Many of them are at the budget end although they have plans to go upmarket. As far as I'm aware they are easy to get parts for and to work on.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I heard Zanussi isn't very reliable. You're best off getting a German make like Bosch.

Zanussi are at least average reliability according to Which? reviews (check out via £1 offer) when compared to all washing machines including the best. They are above LG, Ariston, Hoover, Servis, Whirlpool, Indesit & Hotpoint. I wouldn't say they are unreliable but there are definitely more reliable washing machines. As you say, Bosch are reported to be more reliable than Zanussi.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

There is a Bosch slimline (depth wise) its only 44cm deep

Do you have to buy a brand-new washing machine? If you're on such a tight budget, perhaps it would be prudent to buy a reconditioned or nearly-new machine for half the price or less. I paid £50 for my machine from a washing machine repair man. It's only 3-5 years old and it works perfectly.