Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

qwerty

Water Seeped Into Washer Over Night

I just did a normal wash at 95 degrees and when I opened the tray I noticed that the powder was still in there. When I removed the clothes from the machine they were warm, wet and looked cleaner. I assumed that they must have been washed in hot water but for some reason the function that deposits the powder into the water must be broken. After scratching my head for several minutes I noticed that the hot and cold taps under the sink were switched off!

How on earth did the water manage to get into the machine and wash my clothes? Weird.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Mysterious. My guess is that the taps are those with red and blue levers, and that at least one of them has the very common fault (with this type of tap) where although it appears to turn off it hasn't actually turned off the water valve inside. That would allow either the hot or cold water hose to still supply water to the washing machine (maybe at a reduced rate though). If the clothes were warm then maybe only the hot water got into the machine although most modern washing machines should abort the program and give an error code (or flash some lights) if the cold water didn't get through on rinses.

(Nice topical avitar btw)

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

You're right, the taps under my sink are the small, plastic, red and blue ones. The cold tap is a little bit leaky whether it's turned on or off. I think the hot tap is water-tight though. However, I guess it must have been allowing water through despite the fact it was turned off. I seem to remember that hot-washes only use water from the hot tap.

I guess it must have been allowing water through despite the fact it was turned off.

This article may help - washing machine fills with water overnight or when switched off

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.