Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

konradvg

Miele W1512 Washing Machine For £519

Hi,

I've read some of the reviews on the washer help site and did a search for 'cheap Miele washing machine' and this one came up. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? It looks kind of basic but I like the idea of that because that means I'll probabaly be able to work it and less chance of stuff breaking down. It includes 5 year Miele warranty and UK mainland delivery.

Konrad

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

A much better buy is to get the W 1515 from John Lewis who currently supply it at £499 also with free delivery. Apart from John Lewis being cheaper, I can personally vouch for their high class of service having bought many appliances and products from them.

The W 1512 is an entry level Miele washing machine and is still a high quality washing machine. The features are relatively basic but a 5Kg drum is what we've all used quite happily for the last 10 years and a 1200 spin will not leave laundry wet through. It should be perfectly fast enough for most people. I would only get concerned about paying for a much faster spin if I did a lot of tumble drying.

Although for £499 you can buy washing machines with bigger drums and faster spins, this washing machine is ideal for someone who values quality of build, quietness, stability and longevity over features if forced to chose between the two. In an ideal world it's better to have both, with something like the Miele Paragon Plus which has 1400 spin and a 6Kg drum amongst other extras plus a 10 year warranty. It just costs a little more at £799

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi,

I was about to buy a Miele W1512, but as I live in an apartment (read indoor drying & no space for tumble dryer) I was wondering if the 1200rpm will cause my wife and I problems.

After reading this thread I started to think that 1200rpm would be plenty, but this thread made me unsure.

Is an entry level Miele better than a faster Siemens or Whirlpool?

We're living abroad at the moment and the Miele models which are available where I live are not as plentiful as in the UK. The next one up is the W3240 (1400rpm) but it's a big price difference (W1512 approx £530 Vs W3240 approx £790 ). There's a chance we won't be able to bring this machine back with us in a few years so it may need to be sold second-hand locally, which is fine but makes me prefer to not spend massive money on it.

So if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PS: Great site, really useful.

I was about to buy a Miele W1512, but as I live in an apartment (read indoor drying & no space for tumble dryer) I was wondering if the 1200rpm will cause my wife and I problems.

After reading this thread I started to think that 1200rpm would be plenty, but this thread made me unsure.

Is an entry level Miele better than a faster Siemens or Whirlpool?

Thanks Dan. It depends how you judge "better". If you value build quality and longevity over features, then an entry level Miele is much better. But if you judge on features and think a 5kg drum is too small and 1200 rpm spin is too slow you could think different. The next model up has many other features which explains the price difference but it is quite a jump. I can understand you not wanting to spend too much under the circumstances.

I've been suspicious of faster spins ever since I noticed in Hoover's sales brochures in the 1990s that their 1300 spin washing machine only extracted 1 percent more water than their previous 1100 model (or something like that). I could have got the models wrong, but I distinctly remember discussing the extremely small difference in apparent efficiency and being quite surprised.

1200 spin should be perfectly adequate. It's not that many years ago that 1200 was the fastest spin available and every one thought it was fantastic. Then they brought out 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 and so on. Each successive increase in spin can usually be proved in a lab test to extract more water but my argument has always been - what does that really mean to a user in real terms? "Bigger" and "faster" are not good enough sales descriptions to me. £1 is "more" money than 99p - but so what? I need to know in real terms that something has a tangible benefit and that I'm not paying a premium for something that may be relatively meaningless in real terms or something I'd not be overly bothered about paying more for.

If they quoted figures like "10 minutes less drying time in a tumble dryer", or 15 minutes less time drying on a washing line" then we could make properly informed decisions. I might then think it's worth paying £50 more for a certain spin speed because it will save X hours use of my tumble dryer or decide that I don't mind an extra 15 minutes drying time on the line.

As it is, they use percentage figures and the spin efficiency rating system. The spin efficiency rating gives a useful guide but it has shortcomings. For example, Miele's 1200 spin washing machine gets a "B" spin rating (graded on a scale of A - G with A being the best) but hang on a minute - the 1400 spin washing machine also gets a B. Does that mean there's no difference between the 1200 and 1400 spin?

There is a difference, but it's not enough to bump it out of the rating grade so it has to be fairly negligible to my logic, yet most people would pay more for a 1400 spin over a 1200 expecting it to get laundry a good bit dryer. If it's genuinely worth paying extra for a 1400 spin over a 1200 then clearly the current grading system that rates them the same isn't good enough, and if the difference is as negligible as the same-rating implies then maybe we shouldn't be paying much more for it.

The other figures available are percentages but as with all percentages they can be meaninglessor even misleading without proper context (eg. 100% of those asked said product X was great - but only 2 people were asked).

1200 rpm. Residual moisture at maximum spin speed 53%

1300 rpm. Residual moisture at maximum spin speed 53%

1400 rpm. Residual moisture at maximum spin speed 50%

1600 rpm. Residual moisture at maximum spin speed 44%

This appears to show that there's no difference between a 1200 and a 1300 spin. And that a 1400 spin washing machine only gets 3% more moisture out than a 1200 or 1300 spin washer, which frankly doesn't sound much. The 1600 spin appears to get a more significant amount of water out but the impression to me is that if you want to get significantly more water out of laundry than a 1200 does, a jump to 1600 is required. The 3 different spin speeds in between look relatively unnecessary unless 3% extra water is more significant than it sounds but how can a customer tell if an extra 3% water extraction amounts anything tangible in the real world?

The problem is that in order for to be able to fairly compare products they use specific lab tests that can be replicated. It may be a little harder to establish a tumble dryer test or a drying on the washing line test that's exactly the same for all but something could be worked out. At the end of the day some tests may be fair and accurate but they must have some real world meaning to consumers in order to be genuinely useful to them.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Many thanks for your swift response. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond with such depth.

Just out of interest, do you know how Which? rated the machine? The free sign-up requires credit card details to be handed over which put me off.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Miele should be offering you commision I think! I've just ordered the W1512 and it will arrive on Wednesday.

If there is any information you would like me to provide for your site regarding the specifics of this washer once it arrives (user perspective?) please let me know.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Miele should be offering you commision I think! I've just ordered the W1512 and it will arrive on Wednesday.

If there is any information you would like me to provide for your site regarding the specifics of this washer once it arrives (user perspective?) please let me know.

Thank you - I think they appreciate my efforts but they haven't offered to pay me yet ;). Please post a review by starting a thread in this Miele forum. It doesn't have to be a "review" as such, but your honest thoughts and experience would be great.

Well after thinking about it for a while we've bought a W1512 which arrived 4 days ago. We are very happy so far, it seems to be an excellent machine. I think the looks are ok, controls setup make is very simple to use. Build quality seems excellent, its a heavy machine and much more solid than the old machine we had. We've done approx 8 washes and we like how quiet it is, how quickly it wash (compared to old Indisit), it uses less water, spins better. We got it for £437 and so far its money very well spent :)

Well after thinking about it for a while we've bought a W1512 which arrived 4 days ago. We are very happy so far, it seems to be an excellent machine. I think the looks are ok, controls setup make is very simple to use. Build quality seems excellent, its a heavy machine and much more solid than the old machine we had. We've done approx 8 washes and we like how quiet it is, how quickly it wash (compared to old Indisit), it uses less water, spins better. We got it for £437 and so far its money very well spent :)

wow, can I just ask where you managed to get it for that price, I'm currently on the hunt for one, but all the prices seem to have been pushed up to 519 recently.

I just wanted to drop by again and give a few user opinions of the W1512 as promised.

We've been very pleased with it so far. The control is really easy and my wife loves the timer which states the time for the program prior the the wash.

The machine oozes quality from the finish, but I only had to see it running to see where the extra cash went compared to other brand machines with similar features. It stays perfectly still and practically silent during the entire cycle. This certainly gives welcome piece of mind compared to some of the old shake, rattle and rollers we've had in the past.

My previous concerns regarding the 1200 spin were not entirely unfounded, but I haven't felt the spin to be lacking either. Towels do still feel a bit wet rather than just damp when they are removed from the machine, but they are still pretty well spun and not wet enough to cause any concern.

The only negative thing I can mention is that the machine (delivered by Miele direct) was filthy when it arrived. There was a lot of dust/dirt around the door and on the lid. All of this cleaned up easily with a damp cloth, but still I wasn't too impressed by that as you can imagine.