John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

The city tap water in my area is absolutely horrible. How do I know if my washing machine has a filter and if it doesn’t, where do I buy one?

Rate this topic

Firlase

• Members

I live in a subdivision in north fort Myers, Florida. The water here is absolutely pugnacious, even the rain. The smell is hard to describe, and it changes every so often. Sometimes, like today and yesterday the water smelled varyingly sweet, like rotting fruit, mixed with a seawater/sulphury smell. On most days though it just smells like seawater with varying amounts of sulphur. Even though I have installed a whole house carbon filter from AquaSystems, a filter company local to my area, who claims that one filter will solve all the problems with water aesthetics and hardness, the smell didn’t go away, only the chlorine, so I bought and installed a hydroviv undersink filter for my kitchen and an ispring alkaline uv reverse osmosis filter for my bathroom sink. Neither of them removed the smells as well, so I’m now still stuck in this situation. One of my other worries though is the washing machine, which I know nothing of because I didn’t buy it. I haven’t tried washing my clothes without detergent to test its smell solely because I don’t want it to ruin my clothes. 

So I’m wondering, do washing machines have water filters? Do only some have, and if so, how do I see if mine has? If it doesn’t, can I run a water filter through the feed line, and which type of filter do I need to specifically remove all the smells? I’m worried about that too because my ro filter doesn’t seem to be doing the job well, even though it’s the most advanced filter on the market.

I also did a mytapscore water quality report for my tapwater which only went through the carbon filter. The link is here. https://gosimplelab.com/iZXLVMjv3U

• Root Admin

Hi there. I've never heard of any washing machines with a filter, other than the basic filter inside the water valves to protect them from little bits of grit etc. But this is a UK forum, and as far as I know we don't have any problems with our water in the UK. At least not as bad as yours sounds. We tend to just have hard to soft water.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

Thanks for replying, the total dissolved solids in my tap water is a staggering 500-900 ppm. I know I’m not ingesting my clothes or bedding, but I will wear them to sleep or sleep on them, which forces me to be in contact with the stuff inside of the water 24/7. Like I said, I’ve pondered and experimented with solutions for as long as I’ve been in Florida. The water here is not deathly radioactive per se, but it does irritate my sensitive olfactory organs so much that I want to avoid it at all times. So, do you know of any solutions for adding a filtration system for my washing machine, beside a whole house filter, since it is way too expensive?

• Root Admin

Hi. Unfortunately it’s not a problem I’ve ever encountered here. It looks like we are lucky in the UK, and presumably there are much stricter regulations.

It’s unthinkable here that we would be supplied water that we have to filtrate at our own expense. The only thing I can suggest is looking for a US based forum. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.