Appliance Offers
ils

Is It Worth Repairing?

Hi all..

One issue I haven't seen either on the forums or the website is a general guide on when to give up on trying to repair a washer and go for a new one. Is there any general concensus on this issue, or do you think it can only be decided on a case by case basis?

Of course.. this abstract question is leading on to my own problems smile.gif I recently had to replace the motor on my Hotpoint WD52, and when I say "I", I mean the repair man as I heeded the warnings aimed at novice electricians. Now a couple of months on, I have the feeling something is wrong because the machine wobbles on the spin cycle even with an empty load. The choice I'm faced with is a second repair that could come to the cost of a new budget machine, or a new machine.

I hope this question isn't too specific to warrant deletion, as I think a general guide to what kind of problems are 'big jobs' would be a help to someone.

As an aside, thanks to andy washerman, this site is a little goldmine smile.gif

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I'm no expert but I replaced the core of the motor (can't remember what it is called - might be the armature but don't quote me!) last year and afterwards it jumped all over the place. We have a really brilliant place in Shrewsbury called Stokes, and the owner is happy to supply parts and advice as well as carry out repairs. He advised that it sounded like the magnet on the end of the bit I had replaced was loose, it has a single screw that holds it in place. I had to open the machine up again, take out the motor (very easy to do: remove belt, remove the electrical plug onto it, undo two bolts to remove) take the motor apart (two screw thread bolts) and carefully remove the central core (it is basically two parts the motor: a heavy casing and the central bit that spins round-which was the bit I had just replaced). On the end there is a circular magnet, (I think it might have had a little strip of metal fixed with two screws covering it but I can't remember for certain now!). Anyway, that magnet has a screw holding it I seem to remember,and that has to be tight otherwise the magnet moves around and that apparently causes the machine to hop around and vibrate alarmingly (the drum was banging against the casing). I tightened this and sure enough when I put it all together it worked great. Sadly it has now packed up, I suspect the door interlock switch so taking the old one down to Stokes tomorrow for a test and hopefully a new one will be the solution.

One issue I haven't seen either on the forums or the website is a general guide on when to give up on trying to repair a washer and go for a new one.. As an aside, thanks to andy washerman, this site is a little goldmine smile.gif
Thanks, and welcome. The big repair jobs on washing machine have always been the same, that is drums, drum bearings, motors, main PCB's and timers and outer tubs. A wobbling machine is often just a foot broken or that when it's been moved it's been put back on an uneven part of the floor.

As you say, individual circumstances have to be taken into consideration so it depends on the make and age of the washing machine and the financial circumstances of the person faced with the decision. If you have invested a lot of money in a high quality product that you know should be worth keeping going then it's relatively easy to grin and bear the current repair expense knowing that it will probably pay off in the end. However, with relatively cheap washing machines it's much less certain that your repair investment will pay off. It's hard enough trying to decide whether to repair or replace in the first place, but once you've committed to one repair it gets very stressful if something else needs fixing shortly after and you have a tough job deciding whether to stick with it or potentially throw good money after bad.

Over the last 30 years or so we've moved from being a world where we paid a lot for our goods, but they were extremely well made and repairs were much cheaper than buying a replacement to one where goods are so cheap (and less well made) that we have little respect for their durability and little sense of having invested in something worthwhile. The repair or replace decision is also driven by economics because repairs are now disproportionately expensive compared to repairs.

[ related links: Book washing machine (or other appliance) repair | Buying Washing Machines Advice

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.