John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Bosch WFG2420GB Ready light flashing with unfinished cycle and door unlocked

Hello, I have a Bosch WFG2420GB washing machine that stopped working during a wash, the' Ready' light started flashing and the door was unlocked. I think it was towards the end of the wash cycle on a 60 deg C cottons+linens setting. It still had all the water in the machine. When selecting and starting the drain function to get the water out of the machine it did not respond so I had to drain the water out of the machine with the drain hose under the front cover.I removed the pump cap and checked the pump for loose debris/fluff etc but did not find  much at all. The pump impeller rotates Ok, so the pump cap has been put back on.I removed the drain hose off the back of the machine and gave it a good clean but it wasn't blocked so it has been refitted. I have checked the drain pipe that the drain hose fits into and it is not blocked, so the drain hose is back in the drain pipe. Please help! What is causing the 'Ready' light to flash ?

Hello Rab. When you say the pump impeller rotates okay, do you mean that you can physically turn it okay or that it rotates okay when the pump is supposed be running? In other words is the pump running or not?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hello Andy, thank you for your response. To clarify what I meant about the pump impeller is that when pump cap is removed, I can physically turn it Ok with my fingers.As I start to rotate the impeller blades, after about 90 degrees of rotation the impeller then flicks around itself to about 180 degrees.This is repeatable. Apart from this, I do not know if the pump is running or not as with the 'Ready' light flashing and the door unlocked, the machine won't operate. What do I need to do next ?

If there is water in the drum then failure to drain may be what caused the issue, drain the water completely and then see if the pump runs on a spin cycle. If there's water in the drum and it aborted it may not resume normal behaviour until the water has gone. 

But if there isn't water in the drum and it drained out OK then a different fault is likely to have caused the issue. Unfortunately it could be too many things to be able to advise.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hello Andy, thank you for your reply.I have only just had an opportunity to look at the fault again. I drained the water out of the machine using the drain hose from the pump at the bottom of the machine, when I first saw the 'Ready' light flashing and the door unlocked,so I don 't think there is still any water left in the drum but I'm not sure how I can double check this? With all the normal safety precautions,the machine covers have been removed and I removed the Askol pump off the machine, tested it and cleaned it and it works fine.However with a test meter there is no power getting to the pump or to the door interlock hence something has triggered the machine to cut the power off to these items and possibly some others that I haven't checked.What could do this, please?The very small tube from the soap powder dispenser to the drain hose trap device was completely blocked with congealed soap powder I think, which I have now cleared/cleaned.I have also removed the drain hose trap at the back of the machine and found it to be quite badly clogged up with old soap powder etc.I have cleaned it out fairly thoroughly and put it back. I tested the machine again but still the 'Ready' light flashes and the door is unlocked, so what else can I try looking at, please? I have noticed carbon deposits around the drum and some of the wiring etc but I imagine this to be expected as the motor brushes wear down, or could this be the problem?? I also wonder if there is a float or level sensor somewhere telling the machine to turn all the power off iif it is not working/blocked up.I am still quite determined to try and work out what this fault is,if you can please advise me?I would appreciate any help I can get! Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hello Rab. Apologies, I've only just seen this. I thought the fall had gone quiet, it turns out I have a technical problem that has prevented this forum from sending any emails out for an unknown amount of time. To be honest I don't normally come to the forum unless I get a notification saying something has been posted. That's why I didn't realise.

It sounds like your washing machine is quite badly gunged up. Have you checked that the pressure system isn't blocked? That can cause problems. There's plenty of information about the pressure system and how it works on my main site here Washing machine pressure system faults