Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

rachel123

Hoses Not Long Enough To Plumb In Washing Machine

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

That's very frustrating. There are extension kits available but I have to advise that frankly it may well be cheaper to get in a plumber to move the plumbing closer. The W4446 WPS doesn't have a normal fill hose. It comes with the waterproof system which is an extra safety feature. This means it has a "double safety valve that can switch off the water supply within seconds of a leak occurring". This is very good, but it means the hose is very expensive because it has wiring and a solenoid built into it. There is also an extra long drain hose available that is 2.25 m at £25.21 + VAT & Carriage.

Here's Miele's customer help line number 0845 330 2660 (Lines are open from 9:00am until 5.15pm, Monday to Friday) where you could speak to someone about the options, but if you needed both hoses lengthening I'm afraid it really would be cheaper to have the washing machine plumbed in from scratch.

Of course one possible option for the fill hose would be to fit an ordinary extension hose and connect it to the Miele hose with a connector as shown at the bottom of the right column of this page Washing machine spares However, this ordinary hose would be a weak link and you'd need to pay attention to the instructions for how the Miele waterproof system hose should be connected. I've known cases where the manufacturer says that the valve part at the end that fits to the tap should be pointing at a particular angle.

You could in theory just not fit the Miele fill hose and connect up a normal 2.5 meter fill hose but the guy I spoke to at Miele said that would invalidate the guarantee. When I pointed out that although I accept this would invalidate any problem associated with the hose and the waterproof safety system - but surely not the entire washing machine - he claimed it would invalidate the entire washing machine guarantee. I had to restrain myself from getting bogged down in an argument on this point but I said I'm sure Trading Standards would disagree. Personally I find the idea that any company could get away with invalidating a 5 or 10 year guarantee just for fitting a normal washing machine fill hose is ridiculous. However, although I still think this information could be erroneous, technically, all guarantees are in addition to statutory rights and companies can put certain conditions on them. In practice though, a claim for an unrelated fault could still be made under statutory rights, but to be on the safe side I would double check with Miele or if you want me to pursue it I could find out for you. It would obviously be better to use the proper Miele hoses.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I should add by the way that my own washing machine situation is similar in that the size of my kitchen dictates that it goes into an old pantry. This is way too far away from the plumbing for any washing machine and its hoses. My current washing machine is a Miele W 3740 and I simply extended the reach of the fill hose by fitting a normal hose to my cold water supply tap and used a connector (as mentioned in my last post) and connected the Miele fill hose to that. On my old washing machine I extended the drain hose by fitting a connector but with the Miele I extended the waste water piping (which is easy enough).

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.