John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hey Everyone,

I have a Hotpoint HULT 742, (about 4 to 5 years old now) and all of a sudden the drum will not spinning, 
Last cycle did not finish,

I've checked all inputs/outputs/filter/pump etc. and there are no blockages
No error codes appearing on screen either 

if I start a standard cycle, water starts to fill into drum no problem, then at the time it should start spinning, you hear a small click and nothing.
it carries on and at every time you know it should be spinning it gives off a small click.
I've tried a few different programs all same result.

The belt is fine as with the lid off the belt/drum rotation is fine,
Anyone any ideas what this is... i'd take a guess and say the motor is gone?
if it is the motor, am I looking at an expensive repair and would be better getting a new machine?

Thanks in advance,
Paullyie

Hi. This fault could be caused by many different things. All possible causes are in this article drum not turning

• Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy, 

That's great thanks for the reply,
Checked all the main items ,
- Drum turns by hand fine,
- Belt is not lose or worn and it turns the drum when wheeled by hand.

So pointing more towards the motor (or carbon brushes - not sure if they are fitted on this model)
Will take a look later

Thanks again,
Paullyie

Aye if it has carbon brushes it’s easy enough to check them. Other than that it will be tricky to work out what the fault is. Don’t try replacing the motor unless you can be sure it’s faulty. 

• Thanks 1

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Excellent. Nice one.