Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Sign in to follow this  
Curious

New Wave Auto Washer 1100 Can't Sustain Fast Spin

When the spin cycle shifts into higher speed you can hear the motor speed varying slightly and after a few seconds the spin stops with all leds flashing. Any help would be appreciated.

Curious, is a made up name that I use to re-post questions I answered in my original Washerhelp forum (before I closed it to new questions). The reason I've transferred them to this new forum is to make them easier to find, more useful, and to add more relevant information and related links - as well as to host them on a much better forum. Andy - Washerhelp.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

The chances are the motor is flashing and sparking causing the washing machine to abort. You can try replacing the carbon brushes if you like but it's possible that the armature is worn. If so it will do the same even with new brushes in. You could order new carbon brushes from online washing machine spares sites listed here if you require - Washing machine spares

The chances of the armature also been worn is dependent on the age and amount of washing it's done.

Hi. I did what you suggested and changed the brushes but it does still cut out on fast spin, particularly if the load is large. Rather strangely, sometimes, if you select fast spin only, as soon as the motor cuts out the machine starts to fill with water! Could this be the sparking corrupting the programme?

Many thanks.

Is the armature sparking badly when it goes onto fast spin? By sparking, I don't mean minute sparks, which are normal and acceptable, but flashes, or rings of sparks that run from one carbon brush to the other.

If it only cuts out and starts the lights flashing on the fast spin then it sounds like the armature is worn out. This is behaviour I've seen many times on the New Wave washing machines because of the bizarre way Hoove rmake carbon brushes for these models. Instead of having a smooth curved surface, they have a grooved service where they run against the armature. This makes them very difficult to bed in with any armature that's slightly worn.

On Hoover New wave washing machines you can replace the armature, and it used to be a viable job, but it's way beyond economic repair now due to the age of these machines.

As for the filling with water when it aborts. I've not seen that, and it's weird.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi again Andy,

The armature doesn't really spark that badly. I've seen it far worse on previous occasions when the brushes have needed replacing. Started looking at new machines yesterday and was rather taken by the Miele Premium 300. Haven't completely given up yet though.

Many thanks for your help.

Curious, is a made up name that I use to re-post questions I answered in my original Washerhelp forum (before I closed it to new questions). The reason I've transferred them to this new forum is to make them easier to find, more useful, and to add more relevant information and related links - as well as to host them on a much better forum. Andy - Washerhelp.

These New Wave washing machines have a particularly sensitive electronics for detecting sparking at the brushes. Consiquently, they can abort when in reality the sparking isn't that bad and the motor would run OK. Maybe if given a chance, they would bed in nicely after a few washes and spins. There's nothing we can do about it, it's just these washing machines.

The Miele washing machine is indeed a very well made washing machine. Probably twice as well made as the Hoover ( Related: Miele washing machine review and other washing machine reviews - Washing machine reviews )

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Sign in to follow this