Curious

Washing Machine Tripping Electrics

My 10 year old Hoover AC134 built-in is now tripping out persistently. It used to happen occasionally at certain sections of the programme but now it happens at any stage. What do I need to fix this problem and where can I obtain the part(s)

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hi. You really need an insulation tester called a megga which puts 500 volts (DC) through the appliance to test for fusing or tripping the electrics. Otherwise you can't isolate the cause. Something is likely to be shorting out to earth and the insulation test meter can detect this. The maximum reading allowable may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (but it's commonly 1 meg)

Unless you are electrically qualified it's not really a diy job to be honest. The only thing you can check its whether there's a loose wire, or a wire that's rubbed on something and the plastic insulation has revealed the wire inside which is touching something metal. This can sometimes only happen on spin with certain loads in when the tub does a lot of bouncing around.

Several parts are commonly associated with tripping the electrics on a washing machine such as the motor, suppressor and the heating element. Sometimes water can leak onto a part and cause fusing too.

It may be better to get a washing machine repairman Find a washing machine repairman on Washerhelp