Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

S-Express

Frequency Of 10yr Warranty Offer?

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Miele W3240 (£668 from Dixons) which is currently part of the 10yr warranty promotion. This promotion ends on the 28th of February, so I am wondering if I should rush to buy before the deal expires, or will it come round again soon enough?

Our current machine is an incredibly noisy 8yr old Hoover Soft Wave 1100 which refuses to die. This backs onto a room which will soon become a nursery for our first child ( due July 30th). So we would like to replace the Hoover before this date with something quieter. What's the chance of the 10 year Miele promotion being back on before then ? Or can I put up with the Hoover for a while longer?

Thanks

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Thanks, the extra £50 off has helped me make the decision that we should buy it now ( subject to approval from the Boss ;) ) There's an extra 5% cashback available at dixons now for those with a Egg Money credit card, so it's cheaper still.

Cheers

Martin.

Thanks, the extra £50 off has helped me make the decision that we should buy it now ( subject to approval from the Boss ;) ) There's an extra 5% cashback available at dixons now for those with a Egg Money credit card, so it's cheaper still.

Cheers

Martin.

It's a good deal you have there... about £587 after discounts - with 10 year guarantee!

It costs about £289 for an extended 5 year one I think, so effectively you are getting a Honeycomb drum Miele for about £300 with an extra 5 years cover on top- in that light it's not a good deal, but a bargain ;)

I bought mine a few weeks too early and missed out on the £50 off :(

Before we bought our machine I e mailed Miele’s consumer services to ask what would happen if you ordered before the 28th Feb deadline but delivery came after. Am sure they replied that as long as it was ordered before 28th it would qualify for extended guarantee they didn’t give any indication that the offer would be carried on.

Have you tried entering your post code on Dixons web site for a W3240 for when I tried with our post code it was unavailable giving three further options forward order/when due back in stock/choose other machine.

Have you tried entering your post code on Dixons web site for a W3240 for when I tried with our post code it was unavailable giving three further options forward order/when due back in stock/choose other machine.

Thanks Peter, I just attempted to order it and came back to this forum to report that it's showing out of stock. ( As is the W3364WPS which was also a good deal). I get directed to a contact page suggesting I call them, so will do that tomorrow to see what the chances are of getting ordered by the end of the month.

Well, I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd have one last go on the Dixons site before bed and it's now accepted my order. :) Not sure if this was an earlier glitch or if their system now reflects a planned delivery, but they show stock of both the W3240 and W3364WPS for my postcode ( KY7...). I decided to go for the W3364WPS, on the basis that the timer, extra noise insulation and faster spin should be worth the extra cost to me.

If all goes to plan it should be delivered next week, but I will not get too excited until I get confirmation from Dixons.

Thanks for all the help and advice, both in this thread and the rest of the forum.

Well, I'm not sure why, but I thought I'd have one last go on the Dixons site before bed and it's now accepted my order. :) Not sure if this was an earlier glitch or if their system now reflects a planned delivery, but they show stock of both the W3240 and W3364WPS for my postcode ( KY7...). I decided to go for the W3364WPS, on the basis that the timer, extra noise insulation and faster spin should be worth the extra cost to me.

Have just tried again and same result not available in our area (HU) it must be grim up north. Used a Sheffield post code some 60 miles away and was available for delivery there.

Strange with Dixons site they are offering a 5yr cover plan on a machine sold with 10yr warranty. Am sure it must make sense somewhere to want to buy it!!!!!!

I am considering purchasing a Miele W3240 (£668 from Dixons) which is currently part of the 10yr warranty promotion. This promotion ends on the 28th of February, so I am wondering if I should rush to buy before the deal expires, or will it come round again soon enough?

I have it on good authority that the promotion will be extended from 1 March - 31 May 2007. It will also be on all W4000 series models too. All other models in the range, including dryers, will have 5 year guarantees during that period.

I just attempted to order it and .. it's showing out of stock. I get directed to a contact page suggesting I call them..

How far into the ordering did you get before being told it was out of stock?

Strange with Dixons site they are offering a 5yr cover plan on a machine sold with 10yr warranty. Am sure it must make sense somewhere to want to buy it!!!!!!

It's likely they just try to sell the plan with every washing machine. There is a possibility that the extra (and apparently unecessary) cover gives a different or more comprehensive cover but I doubt it.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I work in e-commerce and stocks could be down to warehouse location, either at Dixons or the manufacturers.

- 'I think' the Miele machines are 'drop shipped' i.e. Dixons get the order then pass it on to Miele for delivery as the lorry that delivered our Dixon's Miele was plain white with no Dixon's branding, though it could be that Dixon's use white vans for reasons of security or co-operative operations with Currys/PC World (they might not want a Dixon's branded lorry pulling up with a Currys/PC World delivery perhaps)

Many on-line "retailers" don't stock any washing machines at all. They just pass orders on to the manufacturer, and it's the manufacturer that then deals with the order and delivery. Washerhelp could start selling washing machines and just get the manufacturer's to deliver but I personally think it penalises the "proper" retailers who invest a lot of money in stores, staff and stock, and allows people to exploit a store and their staff to make a choice but then order it somewhere else often just a few pounds cheaper. I have an article on it here - Buying washing machines online

However, with Currys, they clearly do stock washing machines and have them on display for people to see (including Miele washing machines). They could have an arrangement with Miele, or it could be that they were out of stock themselves and needed to get Miele to deliver direct. If Miele had delivered it though, I would expect them to be proudly displaying the Miele name on their van but as you say uumode, it could be an arrangement.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

If all goes to plan it should be delivered next week, but I will not get too excited until I get confirmation from Dixons.

As I thought, too good to be true. . . . Just got this from Dixons:-

"Dear Mr S-Express,

Thank you for your recent order D***** with Dixons.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to process your order as one or more of

the products you have ordered is now out of stock.

Please contact our telesales advisors on 0845 850 0545 who will help you

choose an alternative product. Alternatively you can visit our website to browse for a substitute product.

If any payment has been taken in relation to this order, this will be

credited back to you.

Yours sincerely

Dixons Web Sales"

What exactly was the point of me putting in my postcode, and then being offered a choice of delivery dates? Grrrr.

As the deal 10-year warranty deal is going to be extended I think I may leave it a while, then take my business to John Lewis.

In e-commerce, sometimes the order admin department put orders on 'hold' if they think it is a potentially fraudulent transaction.

If address details are different or it just looks wrong. By the time they have put it on hold and cleared it, the stock may have been sold.

So that 'might' have been one reason - there are other reasons of course, like overselling stock, or warehouses reporting phantom stock on computer systems.

I cannot praise too much the deal and service we received from our local Miele dealer, price matched national department stores sale price, machine delivered 24hrs later and old one removed for free. OK I had to disconnect it and throw it into the garden, couldnt do that with the Miele.

Another Local Miele dealer was 15% more on price so could be worth looking around dealers.

Currys/Comet were selling at the same price but after phoning their call centre was told that the two machines I wished to view were not on show at any Comet store in the vicinity and we have two very large ones.

The W3240 is quiet (only sound on wash is clothes sloshing around).

Soon I will post its full virtues.

As I thought, too good to be true. . . . Just got this from Dixons:- Unfortunately, we have been unable to process your order as one or more of

the products you have ordered is now out of stock. Please contact our telesales advisors on 0845 850 0545 who will help you

choose an alternative product. Alternatively you can visit our website to browse for a substitute product.

What exactly was the point of me putting in my postcode, and then being offered a choice of delivery dates? Grrrr.

As the deal 10-year warranty deal is going to be extended I think I may leave it a while, then take my business to John Lewis.

Cockups can happen with any store, and no one is perfect, but I've always recommended John Lewis on Washerhelp as I've found them to give a standard of service second to none. My personal experience is now backed up by the latest Which? survey showing John Lewis and Waitrose are Britain’s favourite high-street shops but some familiar names including Currys, Woolworths and WH Smith are poorly rated, according to Which? members.

My personal attitude has changed over the last few years. As I get older, I'm much less prepared to put up with being messed around, and I suspect this eventually happens to most people. After many years of being let down and given the run around I'm now at a stage where I value my time and a lack of stress far more than I value saving £10 or £20 or even more.

I couldn't say this sort of thing couldn't happen at John Lewis but I know that looking at any washing machine on the John Lewis web site one of the first things I see (at the top right of the page) is a stock level indicator. Once or twice I've seen an "out of stock" notice there and my first reaction was that this is not good for business because if I wanted that model I'd probably immediately leave and try elsewhere. I then decided it was probably just John Lewis being honest and up front, and not messing customers about and I respected them for that.

I suspect some online retailers would try to get an order commitment before telling you it's out of stock, or at least be quite lax about announcing it because they believe they can salvage many of these orders by trying to persuade customers to pick another model instead. This is not good service it is selfishly messing customers about.

As uumode points out, there are some valid explanations for this sort of thing occasionally happening and its great to have uumode's input as someone with a different perspective. However, I remain unconvinced that some companies don't deliberately take orders hoping to salvage a sale rather than being frank about stock levels.

Peter also points out that he has had great service from his local independent retailer. Which? also found independent retailers generally rated much higher on the customer satisfaction survey than the major stores (apart from John Lewis).

I suspect some online retailers would try to get an order commitment before telling you it's out of stock, or at least be quite lax about announcing it because they believe they can salvage many of these orders by trying to persuade customers to pick another model instead. This is not good service it is selfishly messing customers about.

As uumode points out, there are some valid explanations for this sort of thing occasionally happening and its great to have uumode's input as someone with a different perspective. However, I remain unconvinced that some companies don't deliberately take orders hoping to salvage a sale rather than being frank about stock levels.

On many of the comparison sites where customers have posted their reviews of a particular retailer most bad comment seem to be about

Item “in stock” money taken and its now not in stock

Difficulty in obtaining refund because of the above – obviously they want you to wait till it is available again.

Delivery dates being put back because of non availability.

Very few complaints are about the product just the service.

I don’t know how much profit can be made by holding onto people’s money whilst the product comes into stock but it must reduce the retailer’s borrowing/overdraft.

When you make any order it can be worth using the phrase “ I consider time is of the essence and should the order not be filled by xxxxxx I reserved the right to cancel.

It should help to get your money back as you have told the retailer the longest you are prepared to wait and they cannot use the excuse to you that the delay is reasonable

As with Washerhelp Andy I consider my time to be a valuable commodity and if I remember my old economics correctly it is the ultimate example of opportunity cost.

You only have to look at the cost others charge you if you miss an appointment, not in when goods delivered, call out for reason not covered by warranty. I appreciate people require to be paid for their lost time but we as a customer are expected to put up with it.

It's fairly backwards for an e-commerce site to take payment upfront, and any half decent site only takes payment when the goods are shipped. This works via a scanning process, when items are scanned out of the warehouse, that squirts out an email to the customer to say the goods have been dispatched, and it's normally at this point that payment is taken and the 'contract' starts.

On larger purchases, some sites may 'ring fence' some funds on your card which means they don't actually take the funds, but kinda pre-authorise it to see if your card can absorb the amount...but when the funds have been ring fenced you can't actually use this amount for other purchases but it doesn't show on your credit card statements as a purchase, until it has physically been debited when the goods are scanned out.

Most e-commerce site are as keen as the consumer to take payment only when the goods are shipped because of pricing errors! If they take the money upfront that enforces a contract.

However I can imagine there are some smaller dodgey sites that do take payment upfront, and perhaps ship you faulty goods to secure an order.

Irritations arise when stock status isn't up to date or availability is set knowingly or unknowingly to an optimistic date. Retailers can only go by what their suppliers tell them.

The best customer experience I've had is from Tesco's direct where I ordered a shaver, and waited for about 3 weeks, they sent me a free Kenwood's smoothie machine for free! (which cost more than the shaver) and I ordered a game which didn't arrive after about 3 weeks and they sent me an alternative (more expensive) game absolutely free as well.

I have it on good authority that the promotion will be extended from 1 March - 31 May 2007. It will also be on all W4000 series models too. All other models in the range, including dryers, will have 5 year guarantees during that period.

Do you know whether they are likely to include their washer dryer (WT 2670) in a 5 or 10 yr guarantee promotion? :)

I expect that will be given a 5 year cover Lady-Jane as I was told, "All other models in the range.. will have 5 year guarantees during that period".

Hi. First post here after reading just about the whole site :rolleyes:

I have just started to look around for a new machine and noticed that the current Miele extended offers end at the end of this month.

Is there any news if these will be further extended or does anyone know how often these tend to be repeated?

Need to decide whether to quickly dive in with an order before the end of the month.

Would really like the benefit of a 10 year warrantee although would be even better never to need it :)

Cheers

Gary

Hello Gary and welcome. Thanks for reading such a lot of my content.

The 5 and 10 year guarantees offered by Miele have so far been restricted to short periods. However, up to now they have always extended them each time they expired. This cannot be relied upon of course and even if they do extend them they may adjust which models are covered by which guarantee.

I am trying to find out from Miele what the current situation is and will post back later.

__

White Goods Blog | White Goods Newsletter

Hi, thanks for the reply and thanks for providing such an informative and friendly site :)

Certainly interested in what you can find out as I would prefer some proper time to select the model I want but more importantly convince my wife that it is worth spending £800 on a washing machine :) The ten year guarantee would certainly help.

Just that I'm ready to give up on our 10 year old :o philco and soggy washing as it's ability to engage full spin speed has become increasingly erratic over the last few years which is getting more and more annoying...

Still amazed it's lasted so long with no major faults (Just noisey) as we use it on average at least once a day!

I've not been able to find out anything concrete at the moment and the current promotion is due to expire on the 29th. Although Miele have been very helpful in the past we have to respect that they may not always want to divulge their exact marketing plans. With Miele having such a high price tag the extra warranties have probably helped sales a lot but as I said in my previous post there is no guarantee that these promotions will continue. At the moment they are marketed as extra warranty promotions. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopted permanently but that is just pure guess. They will no doubt be carefully monitoring sales figures and will have to weigh up the extra sales against the extra cost of supplying these extended warranties. As such, they will always be subject to being withdrawn at any time and only Miele know these figures.

I will of course keep everyone informed if I find any further information.

__

I've posted on my white goods blog about the Miele guarantee promotions - keep track of things like this there Miele guarantee promotions

__