John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Model XWD71452:- aged about 3/4yrs

Very small leak coming from the front left of machine
Looking underneath, no  pipes or  pump - on the other side
Door Seal looks OK, no splits visible
But I can see a water stain at the bottom of a lump of concrete just below where its bolted/Fixed
Cant see above that fixing
All I can think of is the Door Seal or the Drum
Any idea where that could be coming from, as I am baffled

Quite common for them to leak from the dispenser, usually water marks visible where the hopper cover joins the dispenser base and normally happens at the rinse stage. Take the lid off and put it on a rinse and you should see it starting to drip. Quite common when the water jets get blocked or partially blocked, so you can either remove the dispenser completely, separate it and give it a good clean or alternatively I've heard others have success by drying it off and putting a bead of silicone along the join. Failing that the hose underneath can sometimes rub on the edge of the cabinet

On 08/12/2019 at 07:09, bures said:

Thanks for that clue,  never thought of the dispenser being the culprit
I will give that a look

Unfortunately the Dispenser is bone dry after filling drum and rinsing etc
Ideally I would like to take off front cover inc door, to get a better view of where the leak is coming from
But on this model, I cant see any fixing screws at the bottom

Charlie,
(a) The dispenser all around was bone dry, I filled the machine with water - nothing

(b) Then I put a sheet of tissue under the machine on the front left side, run the machine for a full wash cycle, but after a couple of minutes, the tissue was wet the size of a 50p piece
So that would be the filling up with water cycle.  - that conflicts with (a)  of course

(c) I have also cleaned the jets under the lid in the dispenser with a stiff brush and turned down the water pressure slightly
I am convinced it`s the dispenser somewhere
(d) The next move is to run the machines on another  full washing cycle this time with the top cover removed, a torch and plenty of tissue - hopefully that should get me somewhere
I will let you know how I get on

There could be a small crack halfway up the outer drum somewhere that might be difficult to see. It could be behind the concrete weights. If the water is coming from the dispenser you should be able to detect water just under it or see it dripping.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Found it
For the umpteenth time I pulled out the machine because today,  the leak was worse at it saturated kitchen roll I placed underneath
The water is coming from the drum and dripping from behind the concrete balance weight on the left side 
Oddly enough I can feel  a fixing bolt on the right side with my hand but nothing the side of the leak.
As the front  cover cannot be removed, how on earth do you get to the concrete fixing bolts at the front when they are recessed
When the machine was manufactured, am I right in thinking  the complete assembly was lowered into the case and then bolted up ? 
So then are we talking about removing the entire assembly out of the top of the case ?

Thanks to all for your patience in helping me solve this problem

Hello. The entire assembled outer drum will be lowered into the casing. To find the leak you would need to either take the entire drum out or take the front off (if possible) and remove the concrete drum weight. If it's a hairline crack you might be able to repair it providing it's in an accessible place Can you repair a plastic outer drum in washing machine?

But if the crack turns out to be a hole, or it's in a place that can't be repaired you would need a new drum. This damage is almost always caused by coins or similar left inside pockets. If you find a crack and want to repair it you need to try and find what caused it and make sure there isn't a coin or similar inside the drum. It make have made its way into the sump hose or pump filter.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I appear to be the culprit causing the drum  damage
When I mentioned the possible causes of damage to the  drum to my wife.
She said although she always checked my works overralls, sometimes missing the odd nut, bolt and screw  she finds in the drum after taking out the washing to iron.
Whoops !

• Like 1

I would try to argue only 49% of the blame. 51% goes to them who put the laundry in the washer with the offending objects in pockets :)

1 hour ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

I would try to argue only 49% of the blame. 51% goes to them who put the laundry in the washer with the offending objects in pockets :)

I like it, I will tell my wife when she is in a better mood,  wwhen she has retrieved the handtowl which has found a permanant home under the WM 
Just out of interest I assume the rest of the Indesit Group such as Hotpoint  all have spot welded cases
Are there any Manufacturers that still use the traditional screws to fix the front and back covers