Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I have a zanussi washing machine which I bought in May 2017. It is connected to mains soft water. It serviced a family of 3. I used it on average about 4 times a week / every other day. In August 2018 the pump failed. I got an e20 message and water would not drain. Engineer came and replaced the pump, cost me £73. He couldn't find anything that would cause the pump to fail. In March 2019, 8 months later, the pump failed again. Another £71 this time as the pump was outside of its 6 month warranty.... It has failed again for a third time on 9th November 2019. I don't want to pay another £70 odd pounds for a fourth pump, nor do I feel I should fork out another several hundred quid for another washing machine when this one is only 2 and a half years old. What could be the reasons for the pump failures? They all happen in roughly a similar timeframe. I'm putting a complaint in writing to the retailer under the consumer goods act 2015 as they fobbed me off over the phone. I cannot see this being a quick conclusion. Any information on what might be causing this washing machine to get through so many pumps would be useful. Thank you. 

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hi. Most washing machines never need a new pump. If they do it’s highly unlikely they would need another. It’s important to know exactly what has gone wrong with the pumps? The overwhelming cause of washing machine pumps not pumping water are blockages and obstructions. 

So when the pumps apparently need replacing have they stopped running, burned out, or were running but not draining water?

Also were the pumps that were fitted genuine pumps or non genuine? the retailer or manufacturer won’t be remotely interested if the replacement pumps were non genuine and possibly most engineers fit them because they are much cheaper and more profitable.

Finally, how sure are you that it needs another pump now? If the washing machine isn’t pumping water, the odds are still more likely it’s a blockage inside it or in the pump filter etc  

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Check this article carefully for help diagnosing

Washing machine not draining water

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 22/11/2019 at 10:23, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Hi. Most washing machines never need a new pump. If they do it’s highly unlikely they would need another. It’s important to know exactly what has gone wrong with the pumps? The overwhelming cause of washing machine pumps not pumping water are blockages and obstructions. 

So when the pumps apparently need replacing have they stopped running, burned out, or were running but not draining water?

Also were the pumps that were fitted genuine pumps or non genuine? the retailer or manufacturer won’t be remotely interested if the replacement pumps were non genuine and possibly most engineers fit them because they are much cheaper and more profitable.

Finally, how sure are you that it needs another pump now? If the washing machine isn’t pumping water, the odds are still more likely it’s a blockage inside it or in the pump filter etc  

Hi. Thanks for the reply. No, never any obstructions found. The machine is immaculately kept and I am very careful with loads, emptying pockets and so forth.  The engineer is a registered zanussi engineer, so if the machine was in warranty, he would be the one they would send out. He has assured me that the pumps are genuine. He seemed miffed. I know when the pumps have failed because they simply fail to start on the drain cycle. The pump is silent. A knowledgable friend suggested that the programming is out, so the pump is getting damaged from a timing issue? I have always noticed a bit of a crunching sound when the pump starts up. Was like that from day 1 but thought nothing of it.