John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Miele W3240 Vs Philips Elite

2005 Vs 1985 (approx years of technology)

Bought Miele in 2007, Philips in 1986

OK, to give you some perspective, the Philips is from an age when new cars roamed around on our streets on B or C plates, and before most people had a PC with anything Microsoft on it.

Obviously the Miele is a much quieter machine, and in normal operation is barely audible, the noisest element being the water and clothes slotching around in the drum. The pump doesn't appear to be much quieter though. When the Miele is compared to modern machines I have seen and heard like my mother in laws Hotpoint, the difference doesn't appear to be so apparent which is advertised as being quiet (perhaps it's nosier in spin, but when washing they seem comparatively the same). Which? also don't rate the Miele as being quieter than the machines in it's class.

It weighs substantially more than my Philips which I could move around by myself, and the external build does appear to be slightly better, particularly the door and rear (Philips seem to have cut corners on the rear)... Miele have a nice touch where there the transport bars can be stored on the rear... also the water pipe is steel braided, not plastic!

Notable differences is the Miele washes with much less water, it almost looks like damp clothes being thrown about inside (as the focus now is on saving water), the Philips had a visible water level against the window. The W3240's wide door opening is very welcome, opening a full 180 degrees, though it would have been nice to have a stop at the end of the travel instead of slaming into the front panel (if you forget how strong you are)... one of my minor gripes.

Spin speed of the Miele is 1400rpm but that really only applies to cotton loads, so in my 'real world' circumstances 1200rpm is top whack, which is just as well I didn't spend more on a more expensive 1600rpm Miele as my washes are mixed.

1200rpm in Miele Vs 1200rpm Philips, Philips wins hands down with very noticably much drier clothes, but that is probably because the Philips doesn't care about anti crease and just goes at breakneck for a longer period. (Miele has anti crease)

With the Philips you can choose any temperature you like, and any spin speed you like, (it has a dedicated temperture dial, and a dedicated spin speed knob) with the Miele you are restricted to certain temperatures and certain spin speeds - but perhaps that is deliberate according to the type of load to prevent you destroying it :D

The jewel in the crown for the Miele is it's absolutely fabulous 6KG Honeycomb drum (compared with 4.5KG) There are no internet photos including on Miele's site that does it justice, or to help a prospective purchaser see what the fuss is about, so here is a glorious hi res photo of the drum

<a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_drum.jpg" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_drum.jpg" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_drum.jpg" target="_blank">http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_drum.jpg</a>

and a detail of the honeycomb structure

<a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_macro.jpg" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_macro.jpg" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_macro.jpg" target="_blank">http://wan.st/public/honeycomb_macro.jpg</a>

as you can see the holes are indented so they contact the clothes less. My Philips drum looked like a cheese grater!

that's it for the time being...

/EDIT

The lower noise levels are becoming more evident and annoyingly, it makes me realise how loud our LG dishwasher is... (quoted at a relatively quiet 47db) grrr.... :)

Some of the programmable features are not that flexible on the W3240

for example an extra rinse cycle can only be set for the cotton or minimum iron programs :blink:

and not any program you like - not sure why it would be restricted.

An interesting comparison. The pump on Miele washing machines does seem disappointingly noisy. Several people have reported it here. It's not that it's noisier than other washing machines, it's just not quieter - and it should be.

It weighs substantially more than my Philips .. and the external build does appear to be slightly better, particularly the door and rear (Philips seem to have cut corners on the rear)... Miele have a nice touch where there the transport bars can be stored on the rear... also the water pipe is steel braided, not plastic!

The extra weight of the Miele washing machine is due in part to the cast iron tub weights (other washing machines just use concrete) and also the large motor. I expect your curiosity was about comparing a current Miele washing machine with one that was made 20 years ago when it seems like everything was made better, but the build quality of the Miele should be a lot better than the Philips because the Philips was only an "ordinary" washing machine. The interesting point your comparison raises though is that there should be less of a difference in build quality between your Miele and the 20 year old Philips washing machine than that of your Miele and a current equivalent of the Philips washing machine. This is because virtually all washing machines were built better in the early 80s. Lots of components that were then made of metal have become plastic, and the thickness of many plastic and metal components has also been reduced. Of course washing machines were again built "better" 10 years before that ... and 10 years before that etc. Even Miele have been forced to source some slightly cheaper components that could appear "lower in quality" when compared with the same part Miele used 20 years ago in order to keep prices from escalating beyond everyone's reach. They are still the best available though as far as I'm aware.

Notable differences is the Miele washes with much less water, it almost looks like damp clothes being thrown about inside (as the focus now is on saving water), the Philips had a visible water level against the window.

All washing machines use a fraction of the water that washing machines used in the 1970s and 80s. It seems like a great idea, but there are side effects. First, you can't rinse laundry as effectively with such low amounts of water. Consequentially, most washing machines get a "poor" rating on <a href="http://track.webgains.com/click.html?wgcampaignid=93016&wgprogramid=5665&clickref=WH_ForumPost&wgtarget=http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/laundry-and-cleaning/reviews/washing-machines/best-buy/table/" rel="nofollow">Which? Best Buy tests</a> - even their Best Buy washing machines don't show "good" rinse results. Second, in order to wash as effectively (and help gain the wash efficiency labels) all washing machines wash for much longer than they used to.

1200rpm in Miele Vs 1200rpm Philips, Philips wins hands down with very noticeably much drier clothes, but that is probably because the Philips doesn't care about anti crease and just goes at breakneck for a longer period. (Miele has anti crease)

That could explain it. Another possible influence is that a new washing machine does take a bit of running in. Also, the older a washing machine gets the faster it spins because all the grease in the drum and motor bearings thins out (the other side effect of this is extra noise). An old washing machine is likely to spin a fair bit quicker than it did when new.

With the Philips you can choose any temperature you like, and any spin speed you like, (it has a dedicated temperature dial, and a dedicated spin speed knob) with the Miele you are restricted to certain temperatures and certain spin speeds - but perhaps that is deliberate according to the type of load to prevent you destroying it :D

You could argue that variable controls are mostly unnecessary, even gimmicky although I must admit I always like manual overrides personally. Specific laundry types have specific requirements, specific water temperatures and specific appropriate spin speeds. It shouldn't really be necessary to alter the temperature or spin speed, it should be just necessary to choose the correct wash programme. However, other Miele models will have variable controls.

The jewel in the crown for the Miele is it's absolutely fabulous 6KG Honeycomb drum (compared with 4.5KG) There are no internet photos including on Miele's site that does it justice, or to help a prospective purchaser see what the fuss is about. The holes are indented so they contact the clothes less. My Philips drum looked like a cheese grater!

It costs more for the Honeycomb drum. Frankly it looked a bit gimmicky to me at first, but the write-ups about it say that it protects laundry by creating a film of water between the laundry and the drum. I'm not sure if a user would notice any difference in the normal course of washing but I expect the benefits of it are in less long term wear and tear of laundry. I also found myself thinking that, if the Honeycomb drum is so much better, why isn't it on all the Miele washing machines? It's either a cost thing to keep the entry level Miele's price down (although how much more does it cost to produce?) or a price point marketing thing.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Some of the programmable features are not that flexible on the W3240. For example an extra rinse cycle can only be set for the cotton or minimum iron programs :blink: and not any program you like - not sure why it would be restricted.

I imagine it's because an extra rinse is only likely to be effective on certain fabrics. It's the more absorbent laundry that is likely to benefit, whereas some other fabrics don't hold the detergent as much.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

The W3240's wide door opening is very welcome, opening a full 180 degrees, though it would have been nice to have a stop at the end of the travel instead of slaming into the front panel (if you forget how strong you are)... one of my minor gripes.

We have just taken delivery of a W3240 and see what you mean about the door opening 180 degees.

Have stratigically placed a couple of clear door stops ( those used with kitchen cabinet doors) and hopefully the problem will not be so loud.

We have just taken delivery of a W3240 and see what you mean about the door opening 180 degees.

Have stratigically placed a couple of clear door stops ( those used with kitchen cabinet doors) and hopefully the problem will not be so loud.

I solved it with some tiny transparent self adhesive rubber dipple from DIY store. I stuck it on the front face where the door would touch. Now it comes to a nice rubber bump stop. :)

Philips probably wasn't environmentally friendly.

http://www.pprc.org/pubs/epr/cases.cfm

'"Miele's washing machines consist of up to 83% metal by weight. Miele claims that over 50% of the weight ...consists of high-grade recycled material. Cast iron componentry contains more than 80% recycled. Stainless steel and steel flatwork have 70% and 100% recycled material. The percentage of reclaim ... in non-metallic parts, however, is considerably lower."

Variable controls are mostly unnecessary, even gimmicky. Specific laundry types have specific requirements, specific water temperatures and specific appropriate spin speeds. It shouldn't really be necessary to alter the temperature or spin speed, it should be just necessary to choose the correct wash programme.

After a few uses, the only real negative thing I have to say about the W3240 is the 'Automatic' program cycle which is arguably the most useful (mixed loads), yet it is constrained to 40 degree washes, one would like to reduce that to 30 degrees sometimes. Also the top spin speed of 900rpm is imposed yet it's more expensive brother W3922 as pointed out can do this at 1200rpm.

So we have defaulted to 'Minimum Iron' for our mixed load washes since this offers 1200rpm, and a 30 degree option.

(we just like our washes a bit drier :P )

But I wasn't sure what Miele means by 'Minimum Iron'.

I automatically assumed it was to a cycle where it made efforts to reduce crumpling as per the Bosch 'definition':

"Minimum iron wash

Your washing has enough space to unfold in the extra large 6 kg drum. If you choose the minimum iron function, a special interval spinning program loosens up the washing even more. Creases are significantly reduced."

However, I'm thinking the Miele definition could be that this program is for clothes which are 'Minimum Iron' items?

Philips @1200rpm produces drier results than the W3240 @1400rpm, but as you point out, perhaps it hasn't loosened up yet.

Another update:

The end of cycle anti-crease action is very effective. This simply rotates the drum now and again so the clothes to loosen up instead of sitting there (as with my Philips). Clothes are really fairly crumple free if you forget to unload the machine promptly.

- not sure if other makes do this, but it's a good idea!

Also the extra rinse cycle of the Miele is very good as well, I can't really smell the washing powder's fragrance anymore! - It seems like I have just washed the clothes in plain water. I live in a hard water area so have used the exact recommended dose on the box (to protect the machine as well), so the extra rinse cycle has to contend with more powder.

£630 does seem a lot of money to spend on a washing machine - twice most other washing machines infact (there are £299 machines everywhere), but once you factor in the extended warranty of 10 years, cleaning efficiency, quietness of operation and solid engineering, it's very good value considering you will use this over 10+ years.

Even assuming it only lasts ten years that's £63 a year - less than the annual price of using Calgon tablets!! - some people don't batter an eyelid when buying those to protect their £299 washing machines which might only last 5 years.

Anyhow, impressed with the Miele, and have ordered a Miele vacuum cleaner from Comet as they are doing a price reduction AND 10% off with the discount code mentioned on their Comet promotional page is one of the best as tested by Which? and is cheap for a Miele!

Sorry getting a bit carried away now with Miele :)

Next will be the LG dishwasher :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have mentioned some of the tiny niggles, but thought I would summarise them here... (in case Miele are reading)

W3240 'design faults'

1. I generally tend to forget to switch off the power after a wash - the Power button needs an LED!

or replace it with a non-toggle button so power is timed out after say 30 mins after a wash.... but ha ha I hear you say, you need the power on to open the door, yes you do, but if my £60 VHS tape recorder can power on to eject a tape and then power off after it's ejected the tape, so can a Miele to open the door :P (might need to be a programmable feature, so user can set)

2. Door needs a built into hinge 'door stop' (as already mentioned to stop it slaming into the front of the machine when opening door, which you can do if you are an excited Miele owner)

3. Cripple mode 'rev limited 900rpm' Automatic wash cycle (general laundry and arguably the most useful) other Mieles have 1200rpm on the same program - there is also no 30 degree option to conserve a little more energy and be a little more environmentally friendly.

4. a much smaller niggle, the conditioner compartment has a flap door which guards against stray washing power entering this area, but there are a couple of finger holes where detergent can fall (if user if a bit clumsy). This flap door could be solid and transparent with a finger overhang or lift instead of holes.

5. There is no handle (to grip, not to open with) or hand recess in the door (reminds me of a bargain basement Citroen AX door.

OVER USE, I 'think' the pump has got quieter, and the spinning too! I can't even hear that the Miele as finished it's cycle! Our last Philips would rumble the whole house!! - so if lying on the bed upstairs you would know to come down soon to empty the machine as it was on it's final spin.

I hope that has been impartial, and two sided.

Would I recommend a W3240... course I would. B)

• 12 years later...

Well 13 years on, and my W3240 has developed a fault. Both drain and inlet lights blink madly and machine refuses to operate. 

Machine can be reset if I tilt it 45 degrees and empty the water from the sump. Programme can start again, fills up with water then immediately drains all water from the drum and doesn't proceed any further. Both lights then blink. 

Miele call out charge is £130, not including parts, so looking at a Bosch for slightly over £400 

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/wat28371gb/bosch-wat28371gb-freestanding-washing-machine

Hi there. Welcome back. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Check there isn't water in the base of the machine. It sounds like it could have a leak and has triggered the sensor in the base. In theory at least, a repaired 13 year old Mile can outlast a brand new average washing machine.