Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Celtictaj

W980 Any Others Out There?

My much loved w980 miele washer has just gone seriously wrong for the first time in the 10+ years I have had it.

Ive done all the usual things (cleaned the filter, cleaned dispenser tray etc, and checked the drain), but it's not happy so first thing in the morning I will getting onto the Miele service dept. Has any one else had any problems with a machine of this age?

I have to say that despite this hiccup and the potential cost I still think that the £1100 I spent on this machine was best money ever spent; My poor old machine does anything between 7 and 20 loads a week and we live in North Norfolk where the water ishard beyond belief (most appliences just commit suicide when they hear the post code. not being up to being entombed in limescale).For many years I worked as a residential social worker for people with learning difficulties and physical disabilities, many of the places I worked in had Miele machines which often worked 24/7 and I never saw one go wrong.

I will let you know how things go with the Miele engineer.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

In theory, your Miele washing machine is only halfway through its expected lifespan, it could last another 10 years yet. It will be interesting to see how much it costs to fix and whether you think it's worth investing in a repair or not. As you infer in your post, it's not just the length of service that we should judge a washing machine on, but also how reliable its been and the kind of service its given - eg. quiet, smooth - a pleasure to use etc. so it's still viable to say its been a good buy even if you scrapped it now.

They use Miele washing machines on Thompson's cruise ships too, in the public laundry room.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I was all set to ring Miele in the morning, but had filled in a find an engineer in your post code form in on the whitegoods site, via the link on this site, the chap rang this evening and will be with me before noon tomorrow. Call out only £40. Hope am doing the right thing by using an independant (did ask if he was used to working on Miele etc ). Will post again with results. Only downer is the guy doesn't take plastic so will mean a drive to find cash machine as several miles from civilisation. Thanks ever so much for a brilliant site which only found and joined today. Thanks washer help :rolleyes: fingers crossed that the w980 can do another 10years+

Thanks. He should to take a cheque though. It’s always a worry calling out anyone you’ve not used before to repair your washing machine. Many people have had extremely bad service even from the manufacturer, so it's all a bit hit and miss at times. I wrote an in depth article looking at the pros and cons of choosing the manufacturer or an independent repairer here - Should I contact the washing machine's manufacturer or an independent repair company?

I'm glad you found the Find a washing machine repairer link useful.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Where to start?! I had been very optimistic when the chap rang last night and we had arranged that he would get to me between 10-12. However last nights optmistic mood soon disapeared; I spoke to the guy soon after nine this morning to double check he was happy working on Miele , yes he saidand I also checked out if they carry any Miele parts with them , yes he said, adding that his eta was "soon".

When he arrived I doubled checked that his repairs carry a warrenty (yes)and again said you sure your ok with Miele (yes). I had expected that he might have been carrying a laptop or PDA to be able to diagnose the fault;he started of with a multimeter type thing and checked the plug and the proceeded to take the top of the machine. He did n't seem to know how to open the door so I passed him the the orange lever/tool spatula thingy that is used to open the filter door and then showed him how to opn the washing nachine door with the release tag. (By this point I'm getting a bit concerned). He takes the top of the machine and then starts to struggle with the side and front facia panels, decides that he needs to go about things in a different way and dispears to go and get a socket wrench from a different tool box. Front facia and bottom face panel removed, peers inside.He has put the multimeter thing on something inside. I ask if he knows what the problem is yet. Says could be motor could be main board. I'm flapping slightly because I can't find my cheque book. I notice that everything is starting to be put back together, so again I say do you know whats wrong ? and again he says either motor or main board, I ask which? says dunno best replace bothand mutter something about very expensive., so I say any idea how much , "No we will have to get a price on the parts, Ill get back to you." While hes putting his tools boxes back in the car (complete with very fetching polyetheneand gaffer tape covered rear window!) I go and borrow some money off a friend. He says got to come back in as he's forgotten to get model and serial number so I hand him the bit of paper that I'd written them down on in preparation for calling Miele. Hands my bit of paper back and says its ok and takes down the details off the inside of washer door. I'm a bit surprised when I hear him taking down not only model number and the serial number but what I suspect are some industry standard codes from door label as well (DVE, HW01-1,CE IPx4). He leaves saying he will be in touch with the prices for the parts and I'm frankly gob smacked. I decide to ring Miele and ask the rough cost of motor+ mainboard. fast efficient reply is about £700

I wonder round to partners place a few doors away to recount my tale of woe and decide that I since am still no nearer knowing whats wrong with the machineI ought to get onto Miele arrange one of their peeps to come and have a look. Thats been arranged for Thursday. I explained about having cerebral palsy and this meaning that I may have disapeared under a mountain of dirty washing by Thursday , so they promised to let me know if theres a cancellation.

Later in the afternoon I realise he hasn't put the dust/screws cover back on the bottom face plate (oblong one) and that the little orange tool thingy is nowhere to be seen. I have ahd a look round the kitchen to see if the dustcaps can be seen. After a large amount of moping and the increasing realisation that I have been had big time, relieved of £40 cash for no good reason and that the gentleman this morning possibily "had" no greater understanding of the diagnostics of Miele washing machines, than I have of Serbian poetry in the dark ages .....

I have contacted UKwhite goods who found this so called engineer for me and I have recounted the whole sorry tale. UK whitegoods have it has to be said been very good and say they will lookinto things for me since its not in their interest from them to be recomemding cowboys. Also contacted the chap from thismorning and told him that bitsare missing and I'm not happy, got a very lukewarm sullen kind of OH ? response.

As you can imagine I'm not a happy bunnyand feel a pillock for having been "had". Lets hope things are more postitive with the guys from Miele on Thursday, if spending a few hundred quid means I get another 10 years out of my machine I'll be happy as I haven't got the funds for a new Miele at mo. Sorry for the long post :(

Edited by celtictaj

If you’d been asking for a “free” estimate, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the engineer didn’t tell you exactly which part needed replacing, but if paying £40 you should be told which part needs replacing. If I was an engineer in such a position, and couldn’t say, I wouldn’t charge anything although I don’t know if the engineer is a sole trader with that kind of flexibility or not.

From what you say, it doesn’t look like he knew for sure which part did need replacing. It sounds like you put him under a fair bit of pressure though, which wouldn’t help (even someone fairly confident can get easily flustered if someone’s watching every move and constantly questioning) but frankly it does sound like the engineer wasn’t really familiar enough with your washing machine and able to diagnose the fault properly. This is one of the potential cons on my list about using independent repairers, “levels of expertise can vary considerably”. A good engineer can still find himself faced with an unfamiliar machine although you made it clear you expected one that was specifically familiar with Miele washing machines.

Only a Miele engineer is likely to have a laptop with diagnostics but most faults wouldn’t really need one. Most faults can be diagnosed without diagnostic equipment although a proper meter is essential.

It’s hard to know how much of the unsatisfactory visit is down to lack of knowledge and how much (if any) could be down to being put under pressure. I’m not implying it’s your fault, I just can empathise a little with the engineer who could have felt under extra pressure which can cause you to forget to get the numbers from the machine (and things like that) or even affect your logical thought (a bit like when taking your driving test or an exam) :)

But the impression I agree with is that you don’t appear to have really received what you paid for, a proper diagnosis with a reasonable estimate of the cost to repair it. It does sound like you may have grounds for a legitimate complaint about not getting what you paid for. Please keep us posted.

I've just had an email from the independant chap who came yesterday, to say that that the orange tool thing has been left inside the filter housing door. So I've justopened it up to retrieve it to find that the syphon/tap oulet for the filter is detatched and possibly damaged..arrgh. Sent another email to him telling him of the situation and requested that he get in touch. :angry:

Oh dear :(

The Miele repair came to visit this afternoon. Wow He arrived with the laptop gizmo and got straight to work. After I expalined the problem, he said is the pressure chamber/bag is probably blocked. He took the afore said part out and its was stuffed to the gunnels with limescale. Absolutely packed solid. I took the bunged up part away to photograph it. By the time I got back he'd cleared the machine out and recalibrated with the laptop. So nothing needed replacing, just a clean and a reset. Everything was done in under an hour, so everything has been coveredin the £92 fee. Im a very happy bunny glad to have the machine back again. The engineer recommended the descaler that can be bought from direct Miele. They recommend you use it on an :0empty 95c wash once a month. Think I'm going to give it ago or certainly up using on of the other descalers more often. I think the £92 fee was worth every penny. :)

Having had the man from Miele here working its very clear thet the independant guy who came on Monday didnt know what he was doing , he was going to charge me for a new main board and possibly a motor. God only knows what he would have done with them asI'm now not sure he if he actually has the laptop and software etc to recalibratethe machine. Going to be contacting him in the morning to ask for my £40 quid back. Also going to update UK white goods as to how ill equipped he was. Just wish he had been honest. :blink:

celtictaj said:

The Miele repair came to visit this afternoon... it was stuffed to the gunnels with limescale. The engineer recommended the descaler that can be bought from direct Miele. They recommend you use it on an empty 95c wash once a month. Think I'm going to give it ago or certainly up using on of the other descalers more often. I think the £92 fee was worth every penny. :)

Excellent news. I cover the service wash here, which may be useful - Causes of grease and slime in washing machine Your Miele washing machine could well last another 10 years now.

Having had the man from Miele here working its very clear thet the independant guy who came on Monday didnt know what he was doing , he was going to charge me for a new main board and possibly a motor. God only knows what he would have done with them as I'm now not sure he if he actually has the laptop and software etc to recalibratethe machine. Going to be contacting him in the morning to ask for my £40 quid back. Also going to update UK white goods as to how ill equipped he was. Just wish he had been honest. :blink:

It sounds like you have a strong case. Many independent engineers may have charged around half what Miele charged to clear a blocked pressure chamber and that's why so many people are prepared to use one instead of the manufacturer. It's a gamble, because standards and expertise can vary considerably. If you find a good one, they mostly charge less and give a better service but sometimes it turns out to be a false economy. Using a list such as the one compliled by UKW (as you've unfortunately found) can't guarantee you'll only get the best, but at least you have someone to point out complaints to, who can look into it and maybe exert some influence. It's still better than choosing one at random. Sorry it didn't work out in your case.

UKW are chasing things up as we speak, their level of customer service has be fab, very polite very helpful and have asked to be kept uptodate with all events.

I have been to

Consumer protection gov.uk

and they have taken the details of the first guyand given the frame work of a letter to send him, very helpful.

Its such a shame that some one can give independant repairers a bad name.

I've never had this kind of problem before, I've used independant people in the past for washing machine and fridge/freezer repairs and things have been great. I think the thing I've learned is that with something som sophistcated as a Miele it wasn't worth trying to save money by not using the manufacturers engineers.

Another thing I was very impressed by with Miele was the fact that had I had to have a new main board they would have do a part exchange on the old one and saved a fair few quid ! Thanks for the tip on service wash etc. Heres to another ten years plus with this machine.

;)

celtictaj said:

and they have taken the details of the first guy and given the frame work of a letter to send him, very helpful.

Hopefully it won't be necessary to send a letter, but if being reasonable doesn't work and you believe you are in the right, that link and many others can be found on my consumer advice section - Free advice on washing machine consumer issues (UK).

I've never had this kind of problem before, I've used independant people in the past for washing machine and fridge/freezer repairs and things have been great. I think the thing I've learned is that with something som sophistcated as a Miele it wasn't worth trying to save money by not using the manufacturers engineers.

Indeed. The price of parts should be no different, but the potential labour charge savings can be as much as £40 which can be tempting. With something as expensive as a Miele though, I would definitely tend towards advising using Miele engineers.

I heard from UK White Goods today they have suspended this bloke from there list pending investigation. Sent a letter quoting breech of contact as per "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982" today via signed for post. Hoping this will do the trick re refund. Very impressed that UWG have been keen to sort this out, good to know he won't be ripping off someone else. Will update as and when. The W980 is now using less water and back to the almost silence of when new. :)

Many thanks for keeping us updated. I hope this experience doesn't put people off using the list. The list is never given with any guarantee, but the advantage of it over choosing at random from advertisements is that its a not for profit list aiming to list quality engineers, and as you’ve found there are avenues to pursue if you feel you’ve had a bad experience.

It sounds harsh to call the engineer a cowboy, I got the impression he was just out of his depth with the Miele. Many independent engineers struggle to get enough work in these throwaway days and he might have found it hard to turn a job down. However, I do agree that if your recounting is accurate, he appears to have misled you about his experience with Miele washing machines, and that he shouldn’t have charged you when he realised he couldn’t diagnose the fault properly. He should also have refunded your money when advised that you had the Miele engineer out who found the fault was nothing like he’d described to you. I suppose in many people’s books that is a cowboy though. It’s a shame a letter has been necessary.

Its now late Thurday night and I've checked that the letter has been recieved, it has. I also sent an email copy ofthe same letter. I think I may have hit a dead end and this chap may have gone to ground as there has been no reponse as yet. I will give him a full seven days ,incase he's been caught up in the bad weather etc. UKWG have not had anyresponse as yet either .....

Some of you may have followed my postings to the forum regarding problems I had last month with dubious so called engineer. The results of many phone calls and much letter writing is mixed : two stiff letters sent with help from this site and the goverment consumer rights site. The individual in question has not responded to any email, phone calls or letters and may have gone to ground. So I am still no nearer getting my £40 back. The upsideis that this person has been removed from the UKWG and ISE sites on a permanent basis. The machine was fixed by Miele in the end and I'm very pleased with the results. Help from UKWG has been fantastic (they reffered this chap).

Small Claims Court route is £30 (up to £300 claim) http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabo...laims/index.htm

if you are relatively confident the Court will rule in your favour, which I think it will as you have other backing and the chappy has been struck of the list.

and if you claim back your original loss (£40, and your initial costs £30, and perhaps any other reasonable costs, e.g. phone calls, postage etc) you will see justice done.

Small Claims Court route is £30 (up to £300 claim) http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabo...laims/index.htm

if you are relatively confident the Court will rule in your favour, which I think it will as you have other backing and the chappy has been struck of the list.

and if you claim back your original loss (£40, and your initial costs £30, and perhaps any other reasonable costs, e.g. phone calls, postage etc) you will see justice done.

Thanks for that, I think I might well take that route, as at the moment despite the blacklisting his negative behaviour is still being financially rewarded. Will let you know what transpires .