Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Glenscimitar

2 Machines - Both Not Emptying Water

My friend's 18 year old hoover played up the other day - it wouldn't drain or spin. Drain Hose wasn't blocked, filter looked fine and the upstand to the drain wasn't blocked either. It seemed that when the programme timer went to "Spin" it would completely cut out, and let you open the door with a drum full of water!

Engineer diagnosed it as the programme dial, and as the machine was so old repair wasn't possible.

Eventually (as she's not got much money) she settled on a budget Servis from the local Co-Op store.

Plumbed it in, switched it on. Did full wash programme. Then wouldn't drain or spin. :angry:

A friend of mine thinks she's picked up the lemon in the batch. Any more Ideas?

Glen

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

transport bolts taken out and in bottom of wheelie bin!

And servis not around til tuesday, though the Co-Op have said i can take it back for refund/replacement.

the other obvious thing is if the drainage hose was kinked.... so no drain, and since no drain, no spin (spinning presumably only starts when the system is drained).

If the new washing machine has the same symptoms as the old one, which is how it appears to me. The fault it likely to be in the plumbing, otherwise it's quite a coincidence. See if the washing machine pumps out into a bucket.

( Related: Washing machine won't empty water )

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

If the new washing machine has the same symptoms as the old one, which is how it appears to me. The fault it likely to be in the plumbing, otherwise it's quite a coincidence. See if the washing machine pumps out into a bucket.

( Related: Washing machine won't empty water )

Not the plumbing as the standpipe flows when i put a hose pipe in it.

Hose doesn't kink when in place. but it doesn't pump water out - with the machine running I don't hear the pump whirr etc and when i ran it dry the impellor didn't spin.

I think we got the lemon!

That's a very unlucky coincidence. There's some washing machine consumer advice here - Free advice on washing machine consumer issues (UK) Make sure there's nothing blocking the impeller though. See if it turns reasonably freely. Small obstructions like elastic bands, kiddies hair bobbles, matchsticks etc. have been known to jam a pump impeller. One final tip - put the machine to a pump position (preferably a drain only if available) and get down on the floor and listen to it. Take the filter out, shine a torch into it. If you can hear a gentle humming from the pump or see that it tries to move, there could be something physically preventing it from turning. If not, the chances are there's no power to it or it's faulty.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

That's a very unlucky coincidence. There's some washing machine consumer advice here - Free advice on washing machine consumer issues (UK) Make sure there's nothing blocking the impeller though. See if it turns reasonably freely. Small obstructions like elastic bands, kiddies hair bobbles, matchsticks etc. have been known to jam a pump impeller. One final tip - put the machine to a pump position (preferably a drain only if available) and get down on the floor and listen to it. Take the filter out, shine a torch into it. If you can hear a gentle humming from the pump or see that it tries to move, there could be something physically preventing it from turning. If not, the chances are there's no power to it or it's faulty.

It's got a year's warranty so I've told her to ring Servis's helpline on tuesday when they open.

But I've now been given more tips by a friend who put a Servis machine in a property he rents to students - apparantly if you switch the machine off, move the selector to stop and leave it for half an hour or so, then switch on, the start button should flash, then after 10 mins it stops and it's run a brain reset. Dunno how true it is so should she give that a go too?

Under the circumstances anything's worth a try as she's been without the washing machine over Christmas. Leaving it for half an hour won't make it go into a reset. That would be a very crazy thing if an engineer had to wait half an hour :) If there's a fault on the washing machine it should be going into an abort situation and flashing an error code. After it's trying to empty the water and can't, it should start flashing lights or light up some option lights to indicate a fault. Normally, resetting the program (if available) won't do much because if the fault is still there it'll just pack in again next wash.