Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

KevinH

Twisted metal strap in drum

Hi there. I found a stainless steel strap (see attached photo) approx 10mm wide and 150 mm long buried in a load of dried clothes within our Hotpoint tumble dryer. It may have come from the dryer or alternatively was wrapped  up in the clothes from the wash in our Indesit washing machine. There was also a very small screw in there. There is a screw hole in one end, and the strap is twisted like a corkscrew at the other end and has sheared off at the other screw hole end suggesting it's been twisted then torn off during a spin cycle. I've looked in the drums of both machines and can see where it could of come from inside, but can't see how it would have got inside the drum. Any ideas? Could I still run either machine without the strap or attempting a repair? Many thanks. 

2019-01-07 04.50.29.png

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hello Kevin. I don't recognise it. I think it's very unlikely to have come from a tumble dryer. They don't tend have stainless steel drums. Washing machines have stainless steel drums, but if something as big as that had come off you would expect to have some symptoms. If you cannot see anything wrong with the drum it's hard to imagine anywhere else it could have come from if it was found inside the drum.

I was wondering if it could be a heater bracket holding the element in place. It doesn't look like the thickness of metal normally used in washing machines though. But it seems unlikely someone would have had this in their pocket so it must have come form the washing machine or dryer. Do not leave the washing machine running until you are happy it isn't going to leak. Test it with a normal load of washing inside and listen out for knocking or tapping noises. If it were me I would disconnect from the mains, take off the top and back panel and have a good look inside first to see if you can see anything.

I have had exactly the same thing happen this evening. 

Found a twisted metal strap, very similar to the one pictured. There was no screw at one end and it was sheared at the other. It was twisted up a lot more than yours. 

I found it in the drying pulled out of my relatively new Hotpoint dryer. 

I use a Bosch washing machine, rather than Indesit. 

Would be interested to know what on earth it is. 

I did a basic strip down this morning 

There was also a tear in one of the mesh panels in the filter. Understandable if a piece of metal was whizzing around inside. 

I took out the condenser unit underneath and it looked to be ok. There are screws on the side walls, near the front. One looks to be slightly out of place and a little sign of rust on it already. I wonder if anyone has an image of a new condenser unit? Does it have any metal strap screwed onto it?

I can’t imagine how anything from inside a dryer could get into the drum. The only entrance into it is where the hot air is blown into the drum. 

If the filter is damaged btw. Get it replaced ASAP as fluff can build up on the element and the whole thing can catch fire. 

Hi there. Yes very strange how it got in. The machine runs but doesn't dry anything so will have to get it fixed. Thanks for the advice.