Jump to content
John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

 

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have a similar symptom on my WDR7543121W. Completely dead. Plug fuse is okay. Really happy to find out about this thread. I checked the D7 diode (both legs soldered out), but It seems like it is working, ca. 0.3mV in correct direction, OL on the other direction. Anybody faced something like this? Nevertheless, I still want to try to replace D7 and ordered 100V 2A diode and will give a try once received. Will update my result.

Edited by samiruzan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi to all,

Thanks to Bob I managed to find the same problem on my washer-dryer Beko ProSmartInverter WDR7543121S which was about 32 months old.

The problem occurred when my washer was disconnected from water supply  and my wife tried to start it... after that washer just didn't started again

Luckily I had a Multimeter with a diode testing function ( which I never used it) and the problem was easy to find.

I tested all diodes on the board D6 and D7 were faulty (D6 is 5A 100V). D6 showed faulty on the board but when I took it off it looked fine, anyway I ordered and replaced both, washer is working fine.

Such a shame these days nobody wants to repair anything, it is all about consuming and the parts have some crazy prices...

Thanks Bob!

 

20210428_104252.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SorinS said:

Hi to all,

Thanks to Bob I managed to find the same problem on my washer-dryer Beko ProSmartInverter WDR7543121S which was about 32 months old.

The problem occurred when my washer was disconnected from water supply  and my wife tried to start it... after that washer just didn't started again

Luckily I had a Multimeter with a diode testing function ( which I never used it) and the problem was easy to find.

I tested all diodes on the board D6 and D7 were faulty (D6 is 5A 100V). D6 showed faulty on the board but when I took it off it looked fine, anyway I ordered and replaced both, washer is working fine.

Such a shame these days nobody wants to repair anything, it is all about consuming and the parts have some crazy prices...

Thanks Bob!

 

20210428_104252.jpg

Hi Sorin s,

I did mention in a previous post that D7 being faulty could affect the readings of D6 when tested in circuit, even though D6 was ok. This may not be typical of all faults where D7 is faulty, so to prove that D6 is ok and D7 is faulty you must desolder 1 leg of D7 to get a more accurate reading. At least you got it working again, which is still a lot cheaper than replacing the board.

Regards Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/04/2021 at 14:25, samiruzan said:

Hi, I have a similar symptom on my WDR7543121W. Completely dead. Plug fuse is okay. Really happy to find out about this thread. I checked the D7 diode (both legs soldered out), but It seems like it is working, ca. 0.3mV in correct direction, OL on the other direction. Anybody faced something like this? Nevertheless, I still want to try to replace D7 and ordered 100V 2A diode and will give a try once received. Will update my result.

Good luck

Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just want to thank Rob (and Jonboyuk for the guide and pictures). Saved me £150+ and potentially weeks of waiting for an engineer to order a whole new board (which presumably would follow the same fate 2 years down the line..) 

My machine's model is slightly different (WDIX8543100), but exactly the same issue.. Just went completely dead. Just over 2 years old so outside of warranty. 

Ordered the bits, took me less than an hour.. sorted. Can't tell you what a good feeling it was. THANK YOU!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another user who had been caught by this Beko scam. Amazing addvice @bob12241, and an amazing photograph walkthrough guide here too. £3 diode on Amazon and £15 soldering iron later, done.

This sort of action by companies should be stopped, but very grateful that groups like this exist to help us out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/04/2021 at 10:25, samiruzan said:

Hi, I have a similar symptom on my WDR7543121W. Completely dead. Plug fuse is okay. Really happy to find out about this thread. I checked the D7 diode (both legs soldered out), but It seems like it is working, ca. 0.3mV in correct direction, OL on the other direction. Anybody faced something like this? Nevertheless, I still want to try to replace D7 and ordered 100V 2A diode and will give a try once received. Will update my result.

Same here. Did you figure it out? I'd love the feedback. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

@bob12241

You are an absolute legend! 

My Beko WDX8543130W panel died last weekend, extended warranty ended in May, obviously 😅

Found this topic, ordered the STPS2H100 2A diode. Nothing was available on Amazon with quick delivery, so I've ordered from eBay £2.10 incl. RM24 Service. Replaced the diode yesterday. However, I made a small mistake, haven't checked the polarity first, so I've done it twice 😆 

You should have open a donate site for now and everyone who was able to fix their machine - with your help - should give you a tenner 😉 You deserve it mate.

Many thanks again and all the best,

Rob

Just out of topic, why Beko haven't re-called those particular series to replace the panel...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Brien145, Glad you were able to fix your machine. I have contacted Beko previously and they did reply to my second email. They just congratulated me on such an easy and economical fix. There was no mention of them fixing the problem. So I suppose if they are still selling them why bother to put it right.

Edited by bob12241
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello all, so my BEKO WDX8543130B has suddenly died with the exactly what has been described in this post. No lights, beeps 3 times when plugged in but not responsive to any buttons etc.

 

I'm going to replace the DIODE and hope this resolves the problem however I am struggling to find the STPS2H100 that's been recommended. They all seem to have a delivery time of 6th of oct at the earliest even amazon. 

 

I have no knowledge of these things but I did find this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUABAN-1N5401-Rectifier-3A-100V/dp/B087C7FCXQ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Diode%2B100V%2B2A&qid=1633076027&qsid=258-7196079-4893053&sr=8-10&sres=B01BTV6R14%2CB07R7C8F4G%2CB082MPYRMD%2CB079KG6X36%2CB087C6ZJRT%2CB087C7FCXQ%2CB079KJPYFW%2CB00MMYLURE%2CB071H7QZTX%2CB01M7PG8XA%2CB07CMH7BR7%2CB07YK3XMQQ%2CB09HGSF3T8%2CB09GVD2366%2CB07ZCVQ6KJ%2CB079JW6YRH%2CB0831NGRYK%2CB079KCQPKC%2CB07XZ3GF68%2CB087C6GRW7&th=1

 

Am I able to use this one instead? because they can deliver this one much faster? thanks guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi sorry to double post it won't let me edit my original. I also found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0839C4PFK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

 

It can be delivered next day and appears to have a wide variety of Diodes. There is also a comment in the reviews that literally said they used these to replace their D7 Diode on their washing machine and it solved the problem but before I dive in, could anyone please confirm these are compatible/acceptable thank you guys?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John2005 said:

Hi sorry to double post it won't let me edit my original. I also found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0839C4PFK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

 

It can be delivered next day and appears to have a wide variety of Diodes. There is also a comment in the reviews that literally said they used these to replace their D7 Diode on their washing machine and it solved the problem but before I dive in, could anyone please confirm these are compatible/acceptable thank you guys?

Hi John2005, I checked ebay and found the diode first on the listings at £1.80 each. A little dearer but still cheap for the repair. You can search for any Schottky diode rated at 100v 2A in the same package (inline). It is also on Amzon delivered Oct 7th for £1.85 and £3.35 pack of 5 delivered Oct 7th also. Whilst they state the delivery time I have found that they generally tend to be a little quicker than that. If you were to book an engineer then you could have similar waiting time and then they would have to order any component that needs to be replaced, guessing at 4 or 5 weeks overall.

If you go for a higher rated diode then the packaging may be slightly bigger and then you could have problems mouinting it plus the leads may not go through the holes.

Regards Rob

Edited by bob12241
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bob12241 said:

Hi John2005, I checked ebay and found the diode first on the listings at £1.80 each. A little dearer but still cheap for the repair. You can search for any Schottky diode rated at 100v 2A in the same package (inline). It is also on Amzon delivered Oct 7th for £1.85 and £3.35 pack of 5 delivered Oct 7th also. Whilst they state the delivery time I have found that they generally tend to be a little quicker than that. If you were to book an engineer then you could have similar waiting time and then they would have to order any component that needs to be replaced, guessing at 4 or 5 weeks overall.

If you go for a higher rated diode then the packaging may be slightly bigger and then you could have problems mouinting it plus the leads may not go through the holes.

Regards Rob

Thanks for responding so it's just a case of physical size being an issue rather than the amp breaking the machine further as such?

 

After posting earlier, kept searching and I managed to find a 100v 1amp which I know you mentioned is the same one already in there so I ordered that from fear of the 3amp not being suitable. I know it might only fix the problem for a few more years but if I can get the machien going again and then look to replace with the 2amp I would rather that because we have no machine at all until we fix this. :(

I did find the ones mentioned but yeah they all have earliest delivery of 6th-7th oct which a week from now, dont think we can go this long without it. I was worried that fitting the 3mp would be too much "power" and blow something up deeper in the machine or something. 

 

[UPDATE]

The one I bought: 1N4002. I just read doesn't mention Schottky, so I guess this is the wrong one and wont work? :(

Edited by John2005
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi  John2005, The schottky diode has different characteristics than the ordinary diode, the main one is a faster recovery time (technical, but it is relevant to its operating frequency). 

I am a great believer in what does more can do less, hence if you use a 1A diode the 2A diode will do the same but won't burn out as easily. This is of course is subject to the other specifications being the same.

I understand the need for an immediate repair, as you only miss the washing machine when it breaks down and then it is a catastrophe. It is a shame Tandy closed down a few years back as they did stock components and there would have been every chance of getting something similar. I also seem to remember 1 or 2 happy customers had a couple of spare diodes, maybe if you read them all you might be able to contact them.

Incidentally what part of the country do you live, there might be a seller nearby

 

Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Rob for your continued support on this topic. The electronics part of the pcbs is a specialist subject that appliance engineers know nothing about. We are all taught and expected to simply replace the entire PCB or module. 
 

I think this ridiculous system has to - and needs to change. Particularly in light of the new right to repair directive, which in my opinion will only make any difference if white goods manufacturers make very drastic and comprehensive changes to how they operate. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, I am more than happy to help, I am only an amateur when it comes to electronics, but my little bit of knowledge has helped a lot of people so far to get a fast and very cheap repair, something I am proud of.

 

When it comes to Whitegoods I know very little, but industrial machiinery I am/was at home with, but even then I relied heavily on schematic diagrams. This is something that washing machine manufacturers no longer include, I have seen them on the inside of the top, a long time ago. This makes you wonder if they are creating a niche for themselves. I cannot see the right to repair directive compelling  whitegoods manufacturers to supply schematics though. 

Rob

Edited by bob12241
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m writing a new article on the right to repair white goods directive. I don’t think it will make any real difference at all unless manufacturers go back to how they operated back in 50s - 80s. That would require massive changes and massive price increases. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it strange that I can download a complete service manual for my combi boiler costing in excess of £1200 for free, yet I cannot get the service manual for my washer dryer, even when I offerred to pay for it. 

You are right, I don't think the right to repair directive will have a big effect on manufacturers as they will choose to ignore any recomendations, and only supply information if it became a legal requirement. Then the price will go up to cover lost component replacement and service engineers.

 Did I mention to you, I had the BBC ring me, asking if I would go on tv for their right to repair article they did with Gloria Huniford et al, about 12 months back. I refrained as I am camera shy, and in any event it was only a 3 minute article as it turned out

Good luck with your article

Rob.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. They’ve asked me a few times but like you I’ve no desire to be on tv. I’ve advised a few programmes like Watchdog by email and telephone though. 
 

That’s that’s why I’m writing the article because I do not believe right to repair will make the slightest difference. The EU has completely failed to realise that white goods have got to where they are not lasting and unrepairable for specific reasons, and it’s impossible for white goods manufacturers to just start making spares available for longer. They will have to reverse decades of change.
 

I’ll post a link to it here when published. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bob12241 said:

Hi  John2005, The schottky diode has different characteristics than the ordinary diode, the main one is a faster recovery time (technical, but it is relevant to its operating frequency). 

I am a great believer in what does more can do less, hence if you use a 1A diode the 2A diode will do the same but won't burn out as easily. This is of course is subject to the other specifications being the same.

I understand the need for an immediate repair, as you only miss the washing machine when it breaks down and then it is a catastrophe. It is a shame Tandy closed down a few years back as they did stock components and there would have been every chance of getting something similar. I also seem to remember 1 or 2 happy customers had a couple of spare diodes, maybe if you read them all you might be able to contact them.

Incidentally what part of the country do you live, there might be a seller nearby

 

Rob

Hi there,

I placed an order for the schottky diode despite it saying delivery time of 7th onwards (and intended to use this one when ti arrived) but in the mean time find a suitable replacement. Unexpectedly the schottky diode arrived today! Far far earlier than they said... it's crazy but a very positive unexpected event! so now I can replace the diode tomorrow  when my tools arrive. Woohoo! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great Britain (as it was) used to be renowned for its industrial machine manufacturing, but we fell into the trap of making machines that last, because once you bought one you didn't need another for years (I have a hobby lathe thats 70 years old), the early electric light bulbs were a classic case, where the largest manufacturers held a meeting in secret and decided to shorten the lifespan. 

When I was working in industry it was typical for a machine lifespan of 3 years to break even was planned for, and if they got  5 years then they were in profit from the purchase price. 

White goods are regarded as a disposable product, just look at the price to have an engineer  replace the circuit board in this topic. Obviously the engineer has to make a living, but I can't help but feel that planned redundancy is built into a lot of consumer goods now.

 I will look forward to the link.

 

Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, John2005 said:

Hi there,

I placed an order for the schottky diode despite it saying delivery time of 7th onwards (and intended to use this one when ti arrived) but in the mean time find a suitable replacement. Unexpectedly the schottky diode arrived today! Far far earlier than they said... it's crazy but a very positive unexpected event! so now I can replace the diode tomorrow  when my tools arrive. Woohoo! :)

Good Luck let us know how you go on.

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay sooo, fantastic news. I have now taken it all apart and fitted the new schottky diode and we have lift off! All appears to be working! haven't ran a cycle just yet but it does appear to finally be working!

 

Having never soldered or done anything remotely electrical before...  I am very thankful for you posting this topic. If I hadn't of seen this , I am almost certain I would of ended up paying £100s for someone to come out and do the job for me. As a first time property owner, I really want to learn new things and become a bit of a handy man/DIYer and this certainly taught and saved me a lot! so thank you again.

 

Just incase it helps anyone in the future, my washing machine was WDX8543130and had the same faults described throughout this thread/topic. Replacing that D7 Diode fixed it for me. Multi Meter read 0 so it confirmed the D7 was dead.

 

Thanks again guys! If I have any issues when I run the machine later (I need a break..) I'll post back otherwise all is well, thanks again! 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice one John.
 

By the way does anyone have a price quoted to replace the pcb? I want to use this specific case in my article about the new EU right to repair legislation. 

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...