Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Teds01

Knocking noise AEG washer dryer

Hi. Would be very grateful for advice on following problem with our integrated AEG washer dryer which is just over 4 years old. I’ve gone through your videos but  am still not sure what is causing the noise. The machine has developed a knocking sound which you can hear when you rotate the drum by hand - it creates a single or double knock for each whole revolution of the drum. It’s louder when you turn the drum anti-clockwise. It is muffled during the wash cycle but then becomes very loud during the spin cycle. There is no rumbling sound and there’s no leakage or brown staining in machine. The machine works perfectly fine and cleans and drys clothes. When moving the drum by hand the noise seems to build up to the knock sound if that makes sense? Just concerned that this could build into a more serious problem. Am a confident DIYer so am up for a challenge but if machine is failing then will replace. Have tried to post video here but too large. Many thanks.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hello. A knocking noise is often a loose tub weight. If so it should be easy to test by disconnecting washing machine from the mains and taking off the lid. Then move and shake the drum about by hand to see if you can make the noise and locate its source. You might also disconnect the drive belt to ensure that when turning the drum you are only turning the drum and not the motor too. Also check out my comprehensive list of possible causes of a noisy washing machine

Thanks. I’ve taken off the lid and back of the machine and as you recommended moved the drum around but there’s no noise so believe weights still firmly attached. I’ve taken the drive belt off and when spin the drum the clunking noise occurs although much quieter. I’ll remove the support wheel to try and see the bearings.

Having removed the wheel (which seemed to have a little too much play) and now spinning the drum by the spindle there’s no noise at all. On the floor of the machine and in the wheel there’s a build up of fine black dust?? Maybe a new wheel would solve issue you think?

Possibly. If the noise is caused by the wheel it should make it when you turn the drum with it on. Is it loose on the shaft, or cracked anywhere?

Yes it’s loose on the shaft. Going to replace it and hopefully that will solve issue. Will let you know. Thanks for your advice much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi,

yes it solved the issue. You can check by seeing if the wheel can be slightly moved while still attached. Also the fact that when I removed it there was no knocking noise coming from the drum if I rotated it by hand. The  new wheel was clearly a snug fit and required a bit of effort to push it into place - this was in contrast to the old wheel that came off easily. Hope it solves your issue.

• Like 1

Hi All,

i have a similiar knocking noise.

will any of you share the part, part number I would need to purchase to replace the wheel please?

Thanks

Hello Mishk. Have you confirmed it is the drum pulley wheel that is loose in your case? It would be risky to assume your knocking noise is caused by the same fault as other people's. It may be, but you need to check first. If it is, then the part number that other s used may not fit your washing machine. Even washing machines with the same model number could have different types of part fitted depending on when they were made. You can easily look up which part you need on 4Washerhelp spares by selecting your brand and searching for drum pulley 4Washerhelp appliance spare parts