Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Hefin

Non Return Valve?

A quick question.....In addition to the handbook literature and spanner that came with my new 1714, there was a metallic adaptor. I think it's a non return valve which threads on to my stopcock cold tap and the water inlet pipe threads onto the other end.

Does this item need to be fitted?

My old washer just had the water inlet pipes (hot + cold) attached directly to the taps. I have fitted this item but I did not put PTFE tape round the stopcock thread. In other words I have threaded metal to metal. The inlet pipe has a plastic thread. Should PTFE tape be used in this situation?

Apologies in advance if this sounds stupid.........but I don't want to wreck a 700 quid machine! :rolleyes:

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

This sounds like part of the Miele "waterproof" system. Is it a metal adaptor with a bulge, and is the fill hose also bulky and made of corrugated plastic? Here's a description of the Miele waterproof system -

“The inlet hose is fitted with an additional electrical safety valve, which works like an automatic stopcock and is housed in the inlet hose connection box. – It is pressure tested to between 7,000 and 10,000 kPa. – The inlet hose has a protective sleeve. Any leaking water from the inlet hose is fed into the sump through this protective sleeve. A float switches off the safety valve, preventing any more water from flowing into the machine and water in the suds container is pumped away.”

You shouldn't need ptf tape; the sealing is done by the rubber seal inside the hose screw cap end. However, it doesn't hurt to use a little.

NOTE: With fill hoses, always be careful not to over tighten them. The temptation is to tighten them very firmly, but doing so compresses the rubber seal too much. This cuts the rubber seal between the hose screw cap and the metal tap or in this case adapter. A leak may not necessarily occur straight away, but the longevity of the seal is compromised if the rubber seal gets damaged. I always tighten fill hose connections by hand, tighten them as tight as they naturally go without any great force, and then nip them up a fraction of a turn by using a cloth to get a better grip or (carefully) using pipe pliers. I would estimate the amount I “nip” the connection up is roughly 3 or 4 mm more than I got it by hand.

I also don't trust the fact that a hose connection doesn't leak immediately. I keep a very close eye on them for a while as I've know them to be perfectly water tight at first, but start a small drip after a few washes, or a few days.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.