Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Rollcage

KENWOOD K714WM16 E33 Error

20 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

If you could find an AEG within price range that would be better, but out of that list, if buying personally, I would probably choose  Zanussi. LG and Sharp are likely to have the least attractive aftersales service and spares.

Hello Andy. Thanks for the swift reply.

I'd love to get an AEG, but it's simply beyond my price range. I've looked at the Zanussis available, and the two that are in my price range (the Lindo100 and Lindo300) seem to be rather lacking in features. Both have limited spin speed options and neither seem to have a spin only programme - which I find strange.

There's an LG Titan that comes with a 2-year guarantee, 10-year motor and parts warranty, and the option to get a 5-year warranty. I'm leaning towards it. It was originally £550 (now it's below £400), so I guess that puts it beyond entry-level budget washer. I guess I'll have to think about it, options are really limited.

I also found out today that the Kenwood brand is actually "Currys Essentials".The Kenwood customer helpline redirected me to the Currys technical helpline where a representitive mentioned the Essentials brand when re-directing my call. I don't know how they get away with that. I wouldn't have gone near it had I known it was an own-brand washer.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Unfortunately there's no definitive recommendation other than Miele. I've just updated this article adding a few paragraphs about the badged appliances Which is the best washing machine to buy? You might want to join up with Which? and read through their reviews - Why subscribe to Which?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 21/12/2017 at 12:26, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Unfortunately there's no definitive recommendation other than Miele. I've just updated this article adding a few paragraphs about the badged appliances Which is the best washing machine to buy? You might want to join up with Which? and read through their reviews - Why subscribe to Which?

Hello Andy. Thanks for the link and suggestions. I shall give the article a read. Miele seems to be gold standard of washing machines. To update on my situation: I found out that the repair service had also ordered a water level sensor (along with the PCB) and it was this part that they were still waiting for. Anyway, I've finally managed to get the machine declared as "unrepairable" - I explained that I'd waited long enough for the repair and had been significantly incovenienced. They also informed me that the water level sensor wasn't going to arrive anytime soon.

After almost two hours on the phone, I managed to arrange for the machine to be collected and my account to be refunded. Compensation was a non-starter: I was told they "don't do that anymore". I've decided to replace it with the LG Titan that I mentioned in my previous post.

It's going to cost me around £130 more, but I've managed to get them to waive the delivery and installation fees (as its replacing a faulty machine). It's all due to happen next week (I've been told installation and collection should happen on the same day) . I really hope once I get the new machine in it will be the end of my washing machine woes. 

I hope you have a good Christmas and new year. Thank you for all your advice so far. I'll update the thread once the new machine's in.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd provide an update.

So I've got the LG Titan installed, and the faulty Kenwood is finally gone. Unfortunately, I've now got a new problem. The machine itself is fine: it just hasn't been levelled properly, so it vibrates heavily when it spins up. I found this out today when I used it properly for the first time. The machine vibrates so much on its spin phase that it actually starts to move out from where it has been installed. The machine was installed by Currys' very own "TeamKnowHow". The guy installing it didn't use the supplied levelling spanner nor did he check whether the machine was correctly levelled with a spirit level (he didn't even bring one with him).

He even made me hold machine up as he supposedly adjusted the feet (while his colleague waited in the van). When I tried to point out that machine was not levelled properly, he became annoyed and suggested that my floor was not level, before telling me that if I want to level it specifically to how I want it then I should "do it myself". I've never had a problem with an unbalanced machine, so it's definitely not the floor. To make matters worse, they took the original LG cold fill hose and levelling spanner with them. I've now had to contact Currys to re-order both parts directly from LG. As they never gave me the spanner, I can't even adjust the machine myself.

After several hours on the phone, Currys are going to send someone out to look at it next week. I tried to explain to them that the machine uses a specific spanner, but after speaking to LG, they have insisted that the feet can be adjusted with a regular spanner. I don't know who to believe. It's just another appalling experience for me to endure.

The spanner and hose are your property. You paid for them in the price of the machine.

Saying your floor isn’t level is a bit silly. The whole point of adjusting the feet to make the washing machine level is because floors aren’t level.

Did he take the transit packaging out? Leaving it in would cause the whole washing machine to shake and move about. The washing machine not being level shouldn’t cause serious movement in the machine, only a little rocking. 

It’s not necessary to use a spirit level but it isn’t a bad idea. The main thing is that it looks reasonably level and doesn’t rock from side to side or front to back if you try to rock it. 

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

7 hours ago, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

The spanner and hose are your property. You paid for them in the price of the machine.

Saying your floor isn’t level is a bit silly. The whole point of adjusting the feet to make the washing machine level is because floors aren’t level.

Did he take the transit packaging out? Leaving it in would cause the whole washing machine to shake and move about. The washing machine not being level shouldn’t cause serious movement in the machine, only a little rocking. 

It’s not necessary to use a spirit level but it isn’t a bad idea. The main thing is that it looks reasonably level and doesn’t rock from side to side or front to back if you try to rock it. 

Hello Andy. Thanks for replying. Regarding the spanner and hose - that's exactly what I told Currys, ie it was part of machine package I ordered. They gave me an LG email address and asked me to email them with a set of details and a copy of my order confirmation email so that a new hose and spanner can be sent out to me (free of charge).

I emailed LG yesterday evening, so I shall see what happens next.

Yes, I agree. I just didn't understand why the installer was making such a fuss over my request to level the machine. He only adjusted the front feet of the machine and didn't touch the rear feet at all (I'm not sure whether machines normally have adjustable rear feet). My kitchen is very small and space is limited. The machine itself slots under the worktop. It is a bit of an awkward area to work in, but I still think it should have been installed properly.

They brought the machine up with the transit bolts and packaging removed. When I asked for the transit bolts, the second man told me that he binned them and asked me why I needed them, before telling me that I didn't them. It was only after the installer told him to get the bolts because the customer requested them that he felt compelled to get the four bolts.

Today I attempted to level it myself with a regular spanner, and I found it difficult as I am not very good with such tasks. The machine's feet have two sets of bolts on them: the levelling bolts and the lock bolts. I noticed that the lock bolts wern't even tightened. The LG manual seems to describe the opposite of which direction to turn the spanner to raise and lower the machine, which wasn't particularly helpful. It seems to have stopped rocking, but I won't know how bad the vibrations will be until I put a laundry load in.

The other day, the worst of the vibrations occurred when I ran the machine on a 1200 spin cycle. The machine actually started coming toward me and the vibrations were strong when I placed my hand on the unit. The machine sits on a tiled floor, and the key difference between the LG and my previous washers is the direct drive drum. I don't know whether that may have something to do with it.

Just to update.

I ran the machine with laundry load today and it still vibrates heavily during its rinse and spin cycles. I dialled down the final spin speed to 1000rpm and still got heavy vibration, although it didn't come forward this time. I know machines are prone to a little vibration, but the intensity of vibrations I'm getting can't be very good for the unit.

I hope it's just a case of levelling it properly. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when they look at it.

How did you get on?

On 08/01/2018 at 17:21, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

How did you get on?

Hello Andy. Sorry for the late reply.

I've just found it mentally difficult to cope with this situation and had to step away from it for a few days. It just doesn't seem to be getting any better. So Currys sent round a couple of engineers on 3 January. They said we'll have it fixed in 2 minutes. One of the men pulls out the machine, drops it face first on to floor (when I say drop I mean he literally dropped it so that it slammed into the floor). The other looks at the feet, quickly establishes that it hasn't been levelled and makes a few adjustments.

They right it and slot in back in under the worktop. Then they tested it with the Spin programme at max rpm (1400) and it runs without vibrating excessively. They tell me Currys' delivery teams do poor installs all the time (they just unpack the machine and slot it in without levelling it apparently) and it's up to them [the engineers] to go round correcting it. They said it was down to pure luck if customers got a good install. They apologised and left. 

Tried the machine the next day with a laundry load and vibrations were back. Called up Currys, requested an engineer, they book one for 7 January. I wait on the 7th, get a knock at the door and it's one of the delivery guys from the original install. He has no tools on him apart from a pair of gloves.  I let him look at the machine, explain the problems, attempt to show him my video evidence. He is not interested at all. He turns it on, runs the quick wash programme, and points out there is no shaking. I tell him of course there isn't because it's at the start of the programme. He pulls machine out, says it's level and says my floor is problem and tells me can't level it under the worktop. Doesn't seem interested in anything I have to say. I refused to sign the paperwork and tell I asked for an engineer not a delivery person. He leaves.

I contacted LG today to try to get an engineer to look it. They ask me a few questions about how it is installed. I tell them it's on a tiled floor on a second floor flat. They tell me their Direct Drive machines aren't designed for suspended floors and the retailer should have made that clear (Currys didn't mention this at all on the product description). LG tell me they can't send out an engineer because they can't do anything as the machine isn't designed for suspended floors, ie there is no fix. They suggested I either buy vibration feet to reduce the vibrations or return the machine to Currys as I'm within the 30 day period. They make it clear that there is nothing they can do to eliminate the problem.

So I've just phoned up Currys and asked to return the machine for a full refund as I am within the 30 days. I explain the problem and tell them what LG said about their Direct Drive technology. I thought it would be straightforward. But then the man on the phone tells me that although I'm within the 30 day period as I've used the machine and there's technically not faulty getting a full refund may be a problem. I tell him that Currys did not state that the machine was unsuitable for suspended floors. He was surprised their machines were not designed for floors above ground level. He spoke to manager and then returned to tell that they'd do the refund on this occasion.

I was told I'd shortly receive an email confirming the collection date and that the refund could take up to two weeks.  2 hours have passed and I've got nothing. I'm just worried they aren't going to allow me to return the machine. I think I have valid reasons for the refund. I could only find out that the machine was unsuitable by "using it". To make matters worse, I still haven't received the refund for the Kenwood machine. I got the refund confirmation email on 31 December and Currys told me today that it has gone through on their end,  but I've just looked at my account and there's nothing. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Has anyone ever explained the error E 33 that you've been getting? If it isn't mentioned in the instruction manual then it doesn't sound like an error that is triggered because the washing machine isn't level. If that was the case it would definitely be in the instruction manual.

So if it isn't in the instruction manual, that strongly implies that it is a fault that needs an engineer and is not related to the washing machine being level of being on a suspended floor. If that is the case then it implies that there is so far on diagnosed fault on the machine.

If your washing machine is installed inside the kitchen in a normal flat then there must be many tens of thousands of people who buy LG washing machines to install in similar circumstances. If they are unable to work properly without excessive vibration if installed in flat that is not on the ground floor than people should be told when buying the appliance.

There is a similar situation where many thousands of people are buying fridge freezers to install in their garage. There are many fridge freezers that only have one thermostat and are completely unsuited to be installed in a garage. But no salesman ever asks anyone when they are buying these appliances where they are going to be installed. In my opinion this is poor service. 

Many retailers are very much aware of all these problems because they get the blowback from customers when problems occur. So they should be training their sales staff to check when someone wants to buy a freezer or a washing machine exactly where the customer plans to install it so that they can advise them of potential issues.

I would expect that if you have been told you would get a refund then you will get a refund.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 15:05, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

Has anyone I explained the error E 33 that you've been getting? If it isn't mentioned in the instruction manual then it doesn't sound like an error that is triggered because the washing machine isn't level. If that was the case it would definitely be in the instruction manual.

So if it isn't in the instruction manual, that strongly implies that it is a fault that needs an engineer and is not related to the washing machine being level of being on a suspended floor. If that is the case then it implies that there is so far on diagnosed fault on the machine.

If your washing machine is installed inside the kitchen in a normal flat then there must be many tens of thousands of people who buy LG washing machines to install in similar circumstances. If they are unable to work properly without excessive vibration if installed in flat that is not on the ground floor than people should be told when buying the appliance.

There is a similar situation where many thousands of people are buying fridge freezers to install in their garage. There are many fridge freezers that only have one thermostat and are completely unsuited to be installed in a garage. But no salesman ever asks anyone when they are buying these appliances where they are going to be installed. In my opinion this is poor service. 

Many retailers are very much aware of all these problems because they get the blowback from customers when problems occur. So they should be training their sales staff to check when someone wants to buy a freezer or a washing machine exactly where the customer plans to install it so that they can advise them of potential issues.

I would expect that if you have been told you would get a refund then you will get a refund.

Hello Andy. Apologies for the late reply.

Regarding the E33 error code - that was only something I was getting with the Kenwood washer that I had when I started the thread back in October 2017. I no longer have that machine as it was deemed unrepairable by Currys. They had, however, ordered a new PCB module and water sensor - but as they couldn't get the parts, the machine couldn't be fixed within a reasonable amount of time, so they wrote it off.Presumably the E33 error was - as I originally suspected - related to a faulty PCB/water sensor issue.  I only received my full refund for the Kenwood 2 days ago despite returning it in December.

I replaced the Kenwood with a more high-end machine from LG (a 2017 LG 8kg Titan with a DirectDrive drum to be specific). This machine was also purchased from Currys. The LG machine has been the one that I've had vibration/levelling problems with.

It wasn't levelled correctly on the day it was installed by Currys. This was established and apparently "corrected" by Currys' engineers that came to inspect it a few days after it was installed. However, the excessive vibration problem persisted - so Currys sent round a delivery man to attempt to correct it. He unsurprisingly failed to the fix the problem. So I decided to contact LG directly. I explained the vibration issues I was having (thinking all it required was a few adjustments to the machine's feet).

They asked me a few questions about how and where the machine was installed. LG then asked me if the machine was installed on the ground floor. I told them it wasn't as I live in a second floor flat. On hearing this, LG told me that their DirectDrive machines aren't designed for suspended floors.

LG refused to send out an engineer because - in their opinion - the problem cannot be fixed. They advised I purchase some anti-vibration caps for the feet to reduce (but not eliminate) the vibrations. I tried to explain to them that I had a tiled concrete floor. LG maintained their DirectDrive technology isn't designed to work on suspended floors and that's why I'm experiencing such severe vibrations. LG said that not many people know this, and it was up to the retailer to make it clear to their customers.

The manual for the machine doesn't even mention anything about suspended floors being an unsuitable installation environment. This obscure piece of information only seems to be available from the customer service helpline. The main takeaway I got was  LG's DirectDrive drum technology is designed specifically for ground floor locations.  I still find absurd that LG would design a 2017 washing machine with such a specific installation requirement.A part of me still doesn't believe them - suspended flooring isn't mentioned in the manual at all. And everyone I've spoken to laughs at the idea that a 2017 washer only works properly on ground floor locations. Currys didn't make it clear on their website - and even looking at the machine on their website today, there is nothing along the lines of "this machine is only designed for ground floor homes".

Anyway, since my last post, I've returned the LG (Currys came to pick it up yesterday), so I hope everything goes smoothly, and I get a full refund for it.
I picked up a Bosch Series 4 washing machine from John Lewis on clearance, and I had it installed yesterday. It's smaller (7kg), but it feels much more robust than the LG despite the LG's higher RRP. The Bosch just seems to have a better build quality. It's a normal belt-driven machine, and I've done a few spin tests with nothing in the drum and it has remained completely stable. 

I'll be testing it properly with a laundry load at the weekend.

Perhaps you'll come across this DirectDrive and excessive vibration issue. There's nothing on the web about it at the moment. I know the DirectDrive tech is exclusive to LG, so maybe it's an emerging issue. I still think designing a machine that only works on ground floors is ridiculous from a business perspective. But LG seem quite adamant that their DirectDrive machines aren't designed for homes (or rooms) above ground level.             

• Like 1

Retailers are terrible for not enquiring about how the appliances they sell are going to be used. Thousands of people have also had big problems when they have bought fridge freezers to install in their garage. Many fridge freezers will not work in rooms that are particularly cold, so a garage is just completely unsuitable. When the weather gets particularly cold the freezers start to defrost and are rendered useless. It is exactly the same style of problem that you have in that retailers rarely if ever ask where the appliance is going to be installed and used. If they did they could give their customers the kind of excellent advice that we should all expect, but rarely get, especially from retailers that essentially just exist to shift as many products as possible.

There might be an argument that if a customer is not intending to install an appliance in the place where most people accept is the normal place then they should enquire if it is suitable to do so. However, I would not think that buying a washing machine for a flat is a special or unusual place. I doubt that anybody would think twice about it, there must be millions of flats.

Until I've just checked on Google now, I didn't even realise that a suspended floor could be made of concrete. I had always assumed that they were made of wood. However, as to whether you definitely have a suspended floor or not I do not know. I could not find anything as to how to tell. Do flats above ground level always have a suspended floor? I don't know.

As far as I'm aware, most if not all washing machine manufacturers would say their machines are not suitable for suspended floors because a suspended floor can be quite bouncy. But if the washing machine is installed right at the edge of the floor, which it normally is, I can't see how it could be that bouncy. However, it's possible that vibrations caused by the washing machine during spin may be amplified throughout the flooring.

I don't know of any reason why the LG direct drive would have any particular problem with a suspended floor compared with other washing machines. The direct drive aspects of the washing machine simply does away with the motor and drive belt. The motor is built into the back plate instead, and as it turns, it just directly turns the drum. A normal washing machine has a motor fixed to the bottom of the outer tub and then a drive belt attaches to a drum spider to drive the drum. There is nothing about either system that should make one significantly different. If anything, you might expect a direct drive washing machine to be slightly more stable because the motors on the normal washing machines are commonly fixed to one side of the drum which make them inherently less stable. In fact isn't one of the selling points that LG push is the fact that it is a quieter machine?

How stable a washing machine is likely to be on spin is more likely to be defined by the quality of its suspension, chassis, and general build. Anyway, it sounds like you've had one hell of a time with it all. Hopefully this Bosch washing machine will be the best of the three.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 16:26, Whitegoodshelp (Andy) said:

How stable a washing machine is likely to be on spin is more likely to be defined by the quality of its suspension, chassis, and general build. Anyway, it sounds like you've had one hell of a time with it all. Hopefully this Bosch washing machine will be the best of the three.

Hello Andy. Thanks for the informative post. I caught your reply by sheer chance today.

I've finally been refunded for the Kenwood and LG machines I purchased. However, I've been left with a massive phone bill thanks to amount of calls I had to make to the Currys Team KnowHow helpline. I only make about a tenner's worth of calls per quarter, but my next bill is going to be about £130 in calls plus BT's line rental charge. I'm going to try to claw some of it back from Currys. I don't whether it's even possible, but I'm going to try. I ended up seeing my GP because of the stress of having to make so many calls (with a minimum 25 minute hold time) and repeatedly dealing with such poor service. The whole thing has put me off Currys for life. 

The new Bosch installed by John Lewis seems to be working well. It completes the cycles, and it is incredibly stable when it spins up. There is a small problem I've noticed: when ever I hit the start/pause button to start the Cotton wash cycle it pauses instead of starting instantly. Only when I press it a second time, does the programme begin. These new VarioPerfect Serie 4 Bosches have touchpads, so perhaps it's a little too sensitive. I can live with it (the machine works perfectly in every other aspect), but after everything that's happened, I have started thinking about it.

I was completely unaware about the situation regarding fridges. I still think LG is talking nonsense when it comes to their DirectDrive machines. My flat is on the second floor and was built after the second world war -  it's not a new build luxury apartment or anything. The floor is definitely concrete - and as you say there must be millions of flats like mine in England. I think they class it as a suspended floor simply because the home isn't on the ground. It's ridiculous that LG would design a machine that excludes so many households. It's just doesn't make much sense.

Looking back,  I really think the vibration issue I had must have been down to an internal fault or incorrect levelling. This Bosch is rock solid when spinning at 1200rpm with a full load of washing. As you say the direct drive design should result in a more stable washer. One thing I instantly noticed about the LG was how plasticky the chassis was. It did not feel like a chassis from a machine that usually retails for £550. The unit's plastic case would creak, even under slower drum motions. And the tinted door was very light in terms of weight and finish. Perhaps the poor plastic chassis played a part in amplifying the vibrations. I'm just happy it is gone.

I just hope it's third time lucky with this Bosch. A couple of weeks in, and apart from that small issue with the start button, it seems to be working well so far.

• Like 1