Appliance Offers
Funter

Hotpoint WMFUG742 beeping

Interesting to read through the conversations and to find out I'm not the only one with a beeping Hotpoint Aquarius. I'm just doing a "fastwash" and it started making one beep every 5-6 seconds for about 20 minutes, then only just stopped a minute ago. Now, how long should a fast wash cycle last? Mine has been going for 55 minutes with the time saver button on.

Edited by Cheekyone
Typo detected

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I have just started getting the same problem but mine is showing a message "Cycle-no change" no mention in the book and google gives nothing about messages, just error codes which I am not getting

This is obviously a 'common issue' with these machines (as after 18 months my machine has just started to do the same during a normal wash, drum rotating back and forth etc). It is sad that manufacturers seem unwilling to assist consumers in understanding what these beeps mean and how to investigate them. A nice little earner for engineers, I expect.

Regards

Ralph

Yes sadly error codes are a blessing and a curse at the same time. I have written about them here Appliance Error codes – Friend or Foe?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

On 16/11/2019 at 13:32, Chorlton said:

This is a common issue with a bizarre fix. Press the "Delay" button once and you will hear the same 3 beeps again, but never again for that cycle. Don't doubt, try it!

I think you may have just saved my sanity! I've tried everything, cleaned it the drawer, made sure there were no kinks in the hose, cleaned the filter, tried it on different wash settings. It's been doing this for a year, manual says nothing on it! Thought maybe it was an uneven load warning. It does it on different stages of the cycle so just couldn't work it out. I've just pressed the delay button and voila! No beeping. How did you know how to solve it? And why does this solve it?!

• Like 1

In retrospect I'm not sure this has been a complete success.... No fear. I've just found out my machine is now on the fire recall list! Everyone take note and check the news today on this subject.

• Like 1

Mine started doing this last month. It washes fine though. I did wonder if the filter needed cleaning maybe, but I can't get the front off. I have however tried the pressing delay button fix, and it has worked! Perhaps these button are getting pressed accidentally when wiping down the machines? Anyway, no beeping at the moment, so thank you very much for the hint. 

• Like 1

Just give the bottom plastic trim a tug to expose the filter, and then use a pair of grips to rotate it free. It isn't the reason you get the beeps, however.

I think the cause may be corrosion/bad connection in the control panel. Pressing the delay button might just periodically disturb the contact enough to stop it.

I think it's just coincidence. The beeping happens for me mid-cycle when the pump isn't operating: therefore how would it detect a problem with the filter? The beeping is intermittent, so unfortunately I'm confident it will reappear.

I kept pressing various buttons just to get the cycle going but it was stuck either on draining the water or just turning and it must have gone on for about two hours before I gave in and turned it off. Selected the fast wash hoping this would cure it but even that went on for over an hour ... I am buying a new washing machine, I think I just about had enough of Hotpoint.

Edited by Cheekyone
  • Like 1

I am having this with my washing machine also (HOTPOINT FML 942P) absolutely no idea why! I have just sent Hotpoint a message as it's bugging the hell out of me. We use colour catcher sheets and now and again they seem to get down the seal and get stuck in the filter at the bottom right. When this happens it does actually beep more. We've now started putting them in a laundry bag so not small enough to get down the seal but it's still beeping away. Nothing in instructions in regards to this. Some days it beeps more, some days it beeps less, its very odd - and very annoying!

Thank goodness I'm not going mad, had my washer 3 and abit years and it does this intermitant beeping too. Exactly the same, no rhyme or reados to it, just does it!

Is there no answer? I couldn't see one in the other notes.....

At least my husband now heard it as well....!!

Check whether your machine is on the recall list first, a potential fire is a lot worse.

Check / clean the pump filter.

If that doesn't resolve it then pressing the Delay button once during the cycle should temporarily stop the beeping until the next wash.

• Like 1

I have exactly the same problem.. Hotpoint WMEF742 bleeps at random throughout the wash cycle. It started doing it when machine was about 5 years old? Water pressure fine so definitely not that. Often completes a cycle with no bleeps at all. Heats up and washes fine. I have just pressed the delay timer button as advised by someone previously and the bleeping has stopped! The manufacturer must be aware of this obvious fault as there are so many people posting on here with the same problem?

• Like 1

I've had the same issue for a while and ive just discovered if I lightly press anywhere on the front panel (around screen and buttons) it causes a the beep to occur. At least i can now demonstrate this to the engineer. I assume it is a circuit board problem.

• Like 1

Found this on another forum, after I'd tried everything on this one and still had the same beeps driving me insane.

Take the top of the washing machine, 2 screws at the back near the top, the lid pops off at angle from there.

Look to the front of the machine at the top and see the circuit board, you need to remove this, unscrew the screws holding the aluminium bar that sits at the top front of the machine (this gets in the way otherwise), then unscrew the 3 screws holding the circuit board in place, then (this is fiddly) pop the circuit board out from the plastic clips holding it in - once out, look at the front of it, the round dial where the main twist button of the machine goes in too, needs to be removed from the board, it has several red plastic holders holding it in place, take this dial bit off the board and you'll reveal what looks like a small bit of copper with 3 or 4 prongs on it.

That needs cleaning, it often has grease/oil on it, wipe it clean (gently) and dry it, then put it all back together, ensuring the dial bit goes back on the exact way you took it off, it has a flat bit within the hole that needs to match up with the flat bit of the dial (it should make sense when you see it).

I did this and thankfully it worked a treat, no more beeps at all.

Apparently the guy that posted this online is an engineer and says this clears that fault 9 times out of 10.

If it doesn't, you have a faulty board and that isn't a cheap fix.

good luck 

• Like 1

My machine has started doing this recently. Mine is about 3 years old now and never used to do it.

Theres no pattern intact the reason I've been spurred into googling it and came across this site is because I actually thought I was going to have to remove the power from it to stop it just now.

It seems to work fine just started this annoying beeping.

Maybe I'll open it up and reset everything plugged into the circuit boards and clean the filters and water feed screen and see if it goes away.

It's just so random though hard to replicate and we've had a few months between episodes.

Vince

I've got exactly the same thing with the same machine. I don't think it's anti crease because I've had the machine a good 3 years and it's only started doing it the last 2 weeks. 

I've got a hypothesis on what causes the beeping.

My fairly new washerdryer INDESIT XWDE751480 started randomly beeping some time ago, showing no obvious pattern.
Googling for solutions didn't help. I decided to run a cleaning program as instructed in the manual (hold A and B for 5 seconds).
Somewhat about 5 minutes in the program the washer went into a beeping frenzy. It got me nervous and I had to switch it off.
This incident tipped me off to the idea that the temperature might be associated with beeping.

The evidence is:
1. All the beeping happens only during the wash cycle. That is, when the heating occurs.
2. The washer beeped sporadically on a short program with 30 degrees.
3. The cleaning program caused the washer to beep intensely. The program must run at 60+ degrees, a higher temperature than on the shorter cycle.
4. There was no load in the drum during the cleaning program, suggesting it has nothing to do with load or bearings.
5. Finally, I ran the washer with temperature set to off. And... it didn't beep at all.

As a result, I suspect that the heating element is the cause, possibly got covered with limescale and not transferring heat as expected.
I would not be surprised given how hard the water in my area is.
It could also be that heat makes the front panel expand and push against the buttons, because it seems like pressing on the button panel or the delay button helped
some to clear the beeps.

To confirm this hypothesis, can I ask those who had the beeping issue to run their washers on a program with 0 degrees and on a program with 60 degrees,
and see if there's no beeping during the temperature-off program and lots of beeping at the 60 degrees one.

Thanks,
Max

• Like 1

On 17/12/2019 at 21:38, SarahCH said:

I think you may have just saved my sanity! I've tried everything, cleaned it the drawer, made sure there were no kinks in the hose, cleaned the filter, tried it on different wash settings. It's been doing this for a year, manual says nothing on it! Thought maybe it was an uneven load warning. It does it on different stages of the cycle so just couldn't work it out. I've just pressed the delay button and voila! No beeping. How did you know how to solve it? And why does this solve it?!

when u have turn the machine on to a cycle started do u press the delay button 

hello 

i got a hotpoint 2in1 washer and dryer the model no is FDF 9640 p uk. it started to bleep during a wash cycle recently, i have done a auto clean and clean out the filter pump to see if it was that it was tell me to do but it’s not that. the display on the front doesn’t say anything about the bleeping. it’s still working normally washing stuff i’m thinking it’s to do with the weight in the drum i wait for a response back if anyone can help me