Appliance Offers
Gavin

Miele W820 Start Problems on some Program Settings

HiFolks

I have a Miele W820 Washing Machine that's approximately 17 years old and is now not starting it's cycle (ie does not commence filling) on some Program Settings, but is ok on others. The machine starts correctly in the following positions:

- In the 'Cottons' programs the 70,80&90 deg C positions work (not 30,40,50&60)
- In the 'Minimum Iron' programs the 40,50&60 work (not 30)
- In the 'Delicates' programs only the Cold works (not 30,40,50&60)
- In the 'Woolens' programs only 40 works (not Cold & 30)
- None of Starch, Spin, Drain & Quick Wash programs work

They didn't all fail simultaneously & there seemed to be some indeterminacy when the failures began to occur (a few months ago).

I have taken out the electronic control module (ie the one with the Program Setting knob from behind the front panel) & cleaned the selector switch contacts with Deoxit (though you can't get to the inside of the switch, the spray would have penetrated) & have buzzed the contacts & it seemed to be ok. I'm assuming the problem is with this selector/control module, but the failure mode does seem odd.

Has anyone got any ideas on fault finding to help narrow the problem down? – I know there's another larger PCB behind the front section as I opened it up a few years ago to change the shocks. Has anyone out there got a service manual?

Thanks in advance
Gavin

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Just a quick check, is it a hot and cold fill washing machine? If the hot water isn't getting in it can affect some cycles but not others.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

It's the only thing I can think of to explain how some cycles fill but others don't. If it's just a cold fill washing machine it may have a double or triple valve and one of the solenoids has gone. However I couldn't rule out some other cause. The water valve solenoids would need to be tested individually for continuity. There's mention of it at the bottom section of this article won’t fill with water

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for the follow up & trying to think of something Andy.

No it's not the solenoids (it has triple valves) though we only use the one 'cold' inlet & it's clearly working (I changed the diaphragms about 6yrs back). Unfortunately the machine/electronics don't even 'try' to activate anything on the Program Settings that don't work.

Gavin

That's my point Gavin. If it's a triple valve, one of the solenoids could be faulty or open circuit. The valves all use the same water supply but send water into different places. Most likely pre-wash, main wash and fabric softener. It's possible that some programs use only the solenoid that's failed. I can't be sure, but as an engineer I would disconnect the machine, remove all the wires from the valve (take a photo first!) and then do a continuity test on each solenoid before checking anything else.

The only other thing could be if you leave the washer on one of the cycles that doesn't work for 10 mins and see if it produces an error code which would may indicate the issue.

Thanks again Andy. I'll take a look at the solanoids, though for memory, when I last did the solenoid repair I only did it to the main, & wired all the other to control it so it should be the only one that's operating. Also, it still starts/fills on the same program cycle but just with dfferent temp settings ( ie n the 'Cottons' programs the 70,80&90 deg C positions work (not 30,40,50&60) & they use the same fill function. And of couse following the changes I made to the solonoids (6 years back) it's been working fine until very recently.

Good suggestion re having it fill & seeing if there are any error codes generated. TBH I didn't think this machine is set up to display error codes. I'll have to look into this.

Thanks

Gavin

Check the instruction manual to see if it mentions error codes. It won't give you much information about any other than the most basic such as not emptying or timing out on fill but it will tell you if the machine should give error or fault codes. I'd be surprised if a Miele didn't unless it was quite old. Having said that, even with a fault code you can be no wiser as they are often kept from the public and even engineers but some are available for looking up.

Thanks again mate.

No, there isn't any mention of Error Codes in the manual. I'll try your suggestion (re filling it then changing the program setting) when we get back from a 3 week holiday.

Gavin

G'day Andy,

Back from holidays & I've experimented as you suggested. Ie filling the machine on a setting that 'allows' filling, then changing the program setting to where the 'fill function' doesn't work at all. When I do this the machine continues to completion without a hickup. Ie refills & rinses when it needs to.

Does this give a clue as to where the problem may be?

Gavin

Sorry I missed this Gavin. It implies the fault is caused by one of the fill solenoids not working as I initially thought. Another way of confirming this would be to put it on one of the faulty wash cycles and adding water manually from a kettle to see if it starts up. Don't know exactly how much you'd need to put in but observe the water level of a normal wash cycle that works and try to replicate. Do the observing and experimenting with no laundry inside.

Thanks mate & good suggestion. However as it works on some temperature settings within the same program cycle I can't understand how it could be a solanoid as the same one is used (and I only have the one woeking one anyway (been like this for a long time).

Gavin

I hadn't noticed the relevance of the temperature setting you initially mentioned. But if it was a sensor or stat fault it should still not work when you allow it to fill on another setting that works ok and then change the setting. Not unless by any chance if once the cycle is initially set, moving it to another doesn't change anything and it's really just continuing on the first cycle.

I would try my suggestion of putting it on a cycle that won't fill and manually adding the water to see if it starts up just to once and for all discount a fill fault.

Thanks for your suggestions Andy.

I've finally got it going, and as I initially suspected it was the Programme Selector module. - I bought a 2nd hand machine off eBay & got the working module that I needed.

Gavin

Thanks for the update. Presumably it wasn't supplying the valve with power. Sounds like a rare fault. 

Yes that's correct Andy; but only on some settings which means the problem was within the electronic module itself. Either the Pragramme Selector dial or the electronics. - My money's on the selector, though it did seem to meter ok.

Gavin