John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Washing machine just replaced and STILL getting black spots on clothes! Please help

Please help I am getting black spots like mould on my clothes, sometimes reddish pinkish smears too!! thinking it was my old washing machine maybe a leaking oil drum or something I replaced it. I have a brand new washing machine which is 3 weeks old and it's happening again!!  what could this be??? something from the pipes?? any ideas appreciated thanku :)

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi thanks for your reply there. there is no black mould on the door, I don't think it's actually.mould on the clothes it's more like black spots, maybe debris or rust?? my old machine started doing this so I've replaced it and really confused as my new machine is doing it now too.... Can't think what it could be. 

• Like 1

If it isn't the washing machine - and it can't be if a new one is the same then it only leaves the water coming into it and the laundry itself or the way it's being washed. All of the relevant things related to marks, and laundry not getting cleaned properly are contained within the links I posted (and links in the pages). Make sure you aren't leaving the laundry in the drum after washing.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

The water coming into the machine should be filtered at the water valve. Turn off the water tap to the washing machine and take off the inlet hose. Have a look at the plastic filter inside the valve to see if has anything nasty in it. On a new washing machine it should be totally clean and clear. 

Thanku for that. I will check this. I tried to watch the guys who installed new washing machine and I'm sure they used a new hose and valve but I will inspect it. if it's clear it must be something happening in the washing basket.... I'm running out of ideas. thanku for your advice. 

Could you upload a photo?

It looks at first glance like damp laundry been left in a cold damp room. It looks like it could be light mould but can't be sure. If it's happening on a 3 week old washing machine then it's a mystery. You need to be sure you are using the proper amount of good quality detergent. If you don't then dirt and grease can be deposited back onto laundry. Also make sure you are using proper wash cycles appropriate for the labels on the laundry, and not these rubbish "quick" wash cycles that don't wash properly. 

Thanks for that. it could be mould it's generally around the areas on baby clothes where there has been some milk or sick etc!! but it's still strange. I tend to use a daily wash cycle it runs for  about an hour and washes at 60c. I'm maybe not using enough washing powder....I'll try more powder and examine  clothes on way in  thanks for all your help.  

• Like 1