Appliance Offers
nickking360

Hotpoint WML730 Aquarius won't start programme

Afternoon,

Our Hotpoint WML730 Aquarius washing machine started making a noise during the spin cycle yesterday, this coincides with 'grit' appearing in our water, whether it's related or not I don't know.  When I got home from work the water was clear but small speckles of grit were found in the detergent tray, we cleaned this out as well as the filter, where I found 55p :)

I started a quick wash and the washer filled up and the drum turned for a while, as soon as it got to the spin cycle it stopped.  I powered the machine off a few times and tried various programmes but nothing appears to work.  If I have the detergent tray open then I can see water going in to the tray area, water also appears inside the washer.  I've uploaded a few videos to You Tube which will hopefully help in diagnosing the problem.

For the record I replaced the carbon brushes approx. 6 months ago as we had a similar issue, I've checked the brushes and they appear OK although I'm not sure if these are again the problem. 

The drum spins by hand and the belt is in place and hasn't snapped.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Nick.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

It sounds quite rough in the first video. I can't tell if the noise is coming from the pump or the motor or the drum though. It sounds (at a guess) like something could be stuck inside the pump and constantly hitting the impeller, it also sounds like something is loose with the drum but I can't tell if the drum is spinning or if there's a load in or not. The carbon brushes shouldn't be worn again after such a short time but something could have gone wrong with them or the motor if it's now stopped running altogether. 

The fault you have is not that it won't start the programme because taking in water is starting the programme, the problem is that the motor isn't running. Unfortunately that can have a lot of different causes - Washing machine motor not running (drum not turning)

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for the update. It shouldn't really be possible for one brush to wear down and the other not, and for a brush that would normally take years to wear down to wear down in 6 months. Are you sure the brush isn't still held in place and didn't release properly when you fitted it? There should be a small brass lug that needs bending away once the brush is fitted to release it.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.