John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Integrated Washer Dryer

Rate this topic

jamescollins

• Members

Hi All,

My integrated Bosch washer dryer has died (apparently the drum has deformed). I need to buy a new one, but all the options see unappealing - it really seems to be finding the best of a bad bunch in this category. I like to buy quality that will last, but at £2,349.00 the Miele WT2789 is twice what I could afford to pay (although it does look rather lovely). Bosch / Siemens / Neff seem the obvious choice, but all three appear to sell three identical models which are rebadged for each manufacturer. The reviews, and Which? reports, are pretty negative about all of them. Same goes for AEG. I've pretty much discounted Hotpoint Zanussi Indesit Candy and Hoover due to the widely discussed lack of quality. I'd even take a punt on a Panasonic or LG, but it seems like they aren't in the integrated market. And nothing from John Lewis either.

So it seems like that's it? At the moment I feel like the best bets are:

Electrolux EWX127410W

or Bosch WKD28540GB

I don't think I've ever been quite so unsatisfied by a shortlist for any major purchase. I suppose the other options are to: buy very cheap, buy non integrated, buy an integrated washer only or put the Miele on the credit card. However none of these options are appealing. I'm not even that concerned about performance, and I am not a heavy user, I just want something solid that will fit in the kitchen.

Please let me know if you think I've overlooked anything before I make a purchase.

Thanks in advance,

James

• Members

Hi James,

We had a new kitchen fitted nearly 4 years ago and we have a Zanussi Intergrated Model ZK1245 installed. In the time we have had our refit, the washing machine has never let us down. It gets used once a week and my wife puts on on average 3 to 4 loads each time. We find it reasonably quiet and reliable and have no complaints at all. I think the secret of a washing machines long life is never to over fill the drum. Anyway, the Zanussi is a middle range washing machine that doesn't bust your bank balance. We would recommend it.

Sláinte,

Piet and Siusaidh Ceanadach.

• Root Admin

As you say James, it's almost impossible to buy a really great machine without spending a fortune especially for built in appliances. Out of the two you mention Electrolux should be the better quality and have better aftersales service and spares as the Electrolux group has a good reputation for aftersales compared with most others.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

• Members

We had a new kitchen fitted nearly 4 years ago and we have a Zanussi Intergrated Model ZK1245 installed. In the time we have had our refit, the washing machine has never let us down.

Thanks Piet, I will look up the Zanussi

As you say James, it's almost impossible to buy a really great machine without spending a fortune especially for built in appliances. Out of the two you mention Electrolux should be the better quality and have better aftersales service and spares as the Electrolux group has a good reputation for aftersales compared with most others.

Thanks Andy. So, in your experience, is Bosch now worse in terms of overall quality (in the long term) than Electrolux? I knew Bosch etc had gone mass market but I didn't think it had gone this far.

I do feel sad at the state of all this; but I have to buy something. I may well go for the Electrolux on your recommendation. Before I do so, I might see if I can fettle my kitchen units to fit a free-standing washer, which would open all sorts of options up.

Again, thanks both for your input.

• Root Admin

Hello James, the cheapest Bosh washing machine I can find is £230 but the cheapest Electrolux is just under £400, which says it all really. However, there are some very expensive Bosch models too but I doubt they are much better made, most brands have very little difference in build quality between cheapest and most expensive. The more expensive models usually just have bigger drum capacities, faster spin speeds and more features with possibly a bit more sophistication but rarely better quality parts.

Is a more expensive washing machine a better washing machine?

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.