Appliance Offers
chris101

Washing Machine Miele Vs Aeg?

My washing machine has packed up and I have £700 from JL to use for another washing machine from them.

I have narrowed my decision to the following 3. My current washing machine is used for a family of 2 adults and 2 children (3 children in the future).

I am keen on the Miele WMG 120 as it has some great sounding tech regarding automatic dose where it stores detergent and fabric conditioner for around 3 months within the machine and applies it to the load depending on weight and wash...

However the AEG has some good options as well for £400 cheaper or £300 cheaper after cash back..

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

AEG L98699FL Freestanding Washing Machine, 9kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1600rpm Spin, White £700

www.johnlewis.com/store/aeg-l98699fl-freestanding-washing-machine-9kg-load-a-energy-rating-1600rpm-spin-white/p231353034?navAction=jump&_requestid=15314016

Miele WKB 120 Freestanding Washing Machine, 8kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1600rpm Spin, White - £849 (After £100 Cash Back)

www.johnlewis.com/store/miele-wkb-120-freestanding-washing-machine-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-1600rpm-spin-white/p1813456?navAction=jump&_requestid=15313408

Miele WMG 120 Freestanding Washing Machine, 8kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1600rpm Spin, WhiteEdition - £1000 (After £100 Cash Back)

www.johnlewis.com/store/miele-wmg-120-freestanding-washing-machine-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-1600rpm-spin-whiteedition/p1179231?navAction=jump&_requestid=15308169

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

The AEG looks good but 9 kg is a massive drum. Personally I think even 8 kg is probably too big for most people. These extra large drums sound great, and you can wash quilts etc. but you need to make sure you have enough laundry to fill the drum otherwise you are only using half the drum capacity, which negates most of the economic advantages of larger drums.

A big drum like this is cheaper to use, uses less water, less energy and less detergent - but only if the drum is full. Most people wash relatively frequently and would find it difficult to find any where near a 9Kg load for most washes (the average wash load is still only around 4.5Kg). However, I would expect the Miele at least to be sophisticated enough to adjust water levels for smaller loads.

If money isn't too much of an object I would choose the Miele every time. They are by far the best washing machines money can buy in the UK. A modern day AEG is no match for a Miele on build quality. I like AEG but they are (like most other brands except Miele) becoming less and less repairable by design.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I'd personally be concerned about the potential for mould growth around the Twin dose system. Stagnant liquid and or water is a bacterias paradise and the location of the catridges suggests cleaning would be a nightmare. Would put me off buying a Miele with that system.

I've seen the automatic dosage system at Miele's showroom, but I didn't study it so I'm not sure exactly how the detergent goes into the machine. Therefore I'm unable to comment on the mould growth concern other than to say I'd be extremely surprised if Miele would design something with such a flaw, especially as they have been using the system in semi & professional environments.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I've seen the automatic dosage system at Miele's showroom, but I didn't study it so I'm not sure exactly how the detergent goes into the machine. Therefore I'm unable to comment on the mould growth concern other than to say I'd be extremely surprised if Miele would design something with such a flaw, especially as they have been using the system in semi & professional environments.

I would have thought the storage area is just like it would be kept in the bottle and in terms of the journey to the drum, this would all be washed through after the/during the cycles? so no risks as such?

The detergent is stored at the base of the machine just under the main drum and forced directly into the drum through a short pipe run.