Appliance Offers
tarragonrookie

Miele Wp2789 Washer Dryer Nightmare

Apologies for too many words but some background is relevant:

Two years ago we made a huge mistake of replacing our Bosch washer/dryer with a Miele. For months we have been plagued by foreign matter/bits of debris in the machine after a cycle. We recently had to get a Miele engineer our as the dryer fan had seized. The removed part looked like it was 20 years old and seized solid. It beggars belief that Miele could design a machine that would run with a fan seized and not display an error message, that's what they have done.

Miele customer service and website is an embarrassment to them. Today, the machine works OK but we still get some sort of gritty residue after a wash which seems to have come down the dryer air return duct at the top front of drum. We eliminated limescale, zeolites, things left in pockets, dirty clothes etc, long ago. The machine is used regularly on a hot wash with bio powder and is clean.

The Miele engineer inferred that the fan problems was down to how we used the machine. I took this to be Miele diverting any blame against them or their product. I also note that the engineer did not use any sealants or lubricants when replacing the fan assy and bottom section of ducting from drum to fan.

My wife gets very upset with all the particles of grit and whatever is coming out of the machine as she takes so much care of it and does not let me near it. We do not have photos or have stripped it down to examine what this detritus could be.

Of all the washing machines we have had over the years, this is by far the worst and most expensive, by a country mile. I am convinced we have to scrap it and propose to take this up with Miele.

I am convinced this grit is not something that we are introducing to the machine. The repair did not replace the dryer heater element. Are there any experts that may have an idea of what this contamination could be and put us out of our misery please?

Thanks

PS: Our advice to anyone reading this is AVOID MIELE. All machines will go wrong at some point, but they will not have cost you the Miele premium you pay for thinking you have the best. The designed for 20 year advertising shows they have a sense of humour!

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

If a dryer fan seized up a machine might still run, but the dryer heater should definitely stop working otherwise the whole machine would seriously overheat and possibly even catch fire. I too would expect some sort of recognition by the machine that the fan is not running. How have they inferred that the fan problems was down to how you used the machine?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

The fan was seized and the heater cut out had activated. There is no indication on the display to indicate that anything was wrong, the dryer cycle would run for hours despite being defective. The inference by the Miele engineer was that maybe we had not carried out sufficient service washes and run the fluff removal program often. This grated a bit, as we always do this. As an engineer myself, I am dumfounded that someone would design something like this. as a fan of all things German this has knocked our confidence. Thank you and regards.

Yes that would seem surprising that something as sophisticated as a Miele would not realise that the dryer is not heating up and just blindly carry on running. It's perfectly safe, even the cheapest appliances would have adequate safety cutouts for if the fan stops running, but I would definitely expect a Miele washer dryer to realise that the temperature was not rising and abort the drying program with an error code.
As frustrating as you might find this there is no doubt in my mind that Miele are still by far the most well-built and sophisticated appliances. They may not be perfect but they are still the best.
I would have thought that either the fan seized up through mechanical failure, or it seized up because it got jammed by fluff. If it was the latter I would expect the engineer to state that as a fact, an inference is pretty useless in such circumstances. It would be a surprise if the fan could be seized up through lack of service washes and fluff removal program although you would need to refer to the instruction manual to see how important these things are and if it is made clear that breakdowns and mechanical failure could be result of not carrying them out or not.
If you feel the fan failed due to mechanical failure than as a high-quality and expensive brand I would agree that it is not what should be expected. If Miele don't cover it under their guarantee you would have to take it up with whoever you bought it from under the sale of goods act.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi, I just had to reply to your post - I have had the same problem but managed to resolve it...I very recently bought a used 3 yr old Miele washer dryer and was so excited - it was delivered and I ran the service wash - 95 degrees - to clean out the machine. Result - the bottom of the drum had lots of grit and sand in it - tried it again - same result.

I have since discovered that the grit is simply hard water deposits which probably shook loose when the machine was moved, when the high temperature and descaler had done their job and by the high spin I used to 'clear out the pipes' so to speak. I used the 'rinse out fluff' programme nearly 40 times and each time there was grit - sometimes less and sometimes more - eventually the grit had all been cleared from the machine. I occasionally get a smidgeon of grit when I run the rinse out fluff cycle now but only occasionally and very little appears.

The previous owners must have had extremely hard water as evidenced by the completely gummed up fabric softener dispenser.

I lived in rented accommodation for years and so had many types of washing machine and the Miele was far superior to anything else - I had a Miele dishwasher which was 36 years old and still going strong. When they go wrong the repairs are ridiculously expensive and I agree that Miele support is not what it once was. In the meantime though - they are marvellous and wash beautifully - no other brand comes near it in my experience.

One thing to be aware of though - if you book a service visit online then in the contract you are agreeing to accept either a Miele engineer - the genuine article - or a local repair service authorised by Miele - thus I will book a service by phone and ensure I am getting the genuine article - I once had a local repair man, authorised by Miele, who had never seen inside a washer dryer let alone done a course on how to repair one!!!

Hope this has been of some help and your enjoyment of your machine has not been too spoiled.

Hi, just to thank you for taking the trouble to provide a good response. The saga actually went further, in that we found heavy corrosion like deposits inside the dryer ducting, motor and heater element housing. Had Miele back for third time in four months and now all the dryer parts have been replaced. The machine is on a water softener circuit and all the usual sources of contamination were eliminated. We still do not know what the white gritty residue is that appears inside the drying ducts. I have put this problem on another forum and have not ruled out some reaction inside the alloy dryer parts to softened water. We now accept we should have never bought a washer/dryer. I am convinced this machine will be in the tip inside two years despite being a 2012 purchase. Subsequent learning is to avoid the washer/dryer which is a shame as our Bosch washer dryer was fantastic for 10 years. looking back the decision to include a drying facility was naive on our part. We have had three washing machine engineer visits in 2015, more than in my whole 61 year life.

Thanks again.

If your machine is connected to a water softener system that softens the water I wonder if it could be somehow related to your problem. Miele definitely advise not to connect to a softened water supply, but I would have thought it depends how much the water is softened. If it only softens it to normal levels I can't see how that would be an issue but maybe the artificially softened water causes problems? Basically, if the water is too soft it will cause excessive soap suds, this can result in people reducing the amount of detergent, which in turn can stop the detergent properly protecting against limescale. However, the irony is that if the water is too soft there shouldn't be any limescale.