Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

PENZZZ

Washing Machine Hose Flow Rates

This isn't a repair how-to repair question. Rather, I am seeking information surrounding the importance of washing machine hose flow rates and importance to the machine. My wife purchased a high capacity washing machine. When this machine fills with water, it sounds like a jet is taking off somewhere in the house. So I removed a hose and measured the inlet hardware diameter and found ~ .375" and assume they're .375" diameter hoses. In doing research into hose diameters I found some "high capacity" metal braid, .500" ID hoses. Wanting to increase the water flow to the machine (and maybe quiet the water fill) I ordered them. The hoses arrived today and I found the hardware opening on these to be .300".

I can't measure the ID of the hoses themselves so can't ascertain they're .500", but even if they are it appears the hoses have a constriction on the end hardware. If someone can comment on the physics of water flow through fill hoses I'd appreciate it. I'd like to learn whether the high capacity hoses will actually increase flow rate despite the narrow entry/exit hardware. Or, other options. Thanks.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Water valves usually have a flow restrictor built into them to slow down the water otherwise they can leak. Also, I would normally be looking to turning down the water pressure by turning down the taps to quieten the fill.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thank you for your response. My two hoses are connected to a device used to shut both flows when we're away. A lever handle shuts both simultaneously with a pair of ball valves. So I'm still interested in learning more about why .500" hoses have a constriction on both ends, and the impact of those constrictions.

If I was capable of slowing flow to the washer I believe my wife would object.

Thanks again.