Appliance Offers
MrTumble

Dispute With Retailer (Currys) Not Honouring 5 Year Warranty On Washing Machine

Hello everyone,

I hope someone could give me some advice on what options I have....

A number of years ago I purchased an LG washer/ dryer from Curry's for £750 and it lasted just under 2 years. It was out of warranty and was uneconomical to repair as it needed a new circuit board. I lost out and had to buy a new washing machine with a 5 year warranty, which lasted a happy 5 years, albeit with a couple of repairs along the way to keep it going.

So, in March 2012, I purchased a new Samsung washing machine from Dixons online (Now under Curry's) for £450 which was sold to me with a 5 year parts and labour warranty. All been fine for first 2 and half years but now is need of a repair. So I contacted Curry's who initially transferred me to Samsung who refused to entertain as they said the warranty had not been registered. So I then contacted Currys who I had purchased the appliance from, they confirmed that they will honour the 5 year warranty, but then I was pushed from pillar to post, and about 5 phone calls later, each lasting an hour over a week of chasing I eventually got to talk to Currys Out of warranty customer service team. Only to be informed by their customer service rep that only as a goodwill gesture Curry's were informing me about their obligations under the Sales of Goods and Services Act, which they didn't have to, and if I didn't quote it then they would have stayed quiet about it and done absolutely nothing. So, the offer Currys are making me under this so-called goodwill gesture, is that I have to provide Currys with an independent engineers report on the defect at my own cost. Currys will then review this and decide whether Currys are obliged to remedy the defect. I discussed this with Currys customer service rep at length and Currys are unwilling to budge, and I cannot understand why I must pay for an independent engineer to inspect the washing machine. Even if I pay for this report then there's still no guarantee that Currys will accept that they have to remedy the defect. I believe they want a report and will be looking for a way out of repairing the machine, i.e. if the report cannot conclusively identify an inherent defect. I'd be grateful if someone could offer any advice on what options I have here, remembering that I only purchased this product because it came with a 5 year parts and labour warranty and I feel that the retailer is pushing a call out charge on to me as well as walking away from the warranty, let alone his obligations under the Sales of Goods and Services Act.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Regarding the manufacturer, I've seen it many times before where an extra long guarantee is given on condition that it is registered, so the chances are that if you didn't register it they may be able to refuse to honour it.

Regarding the retailer, under the Sale of Goods act, if a fault occurs after 6 months the onus passes onto the customer to prove it has an inherent fault, which they can't do without an engineers report. Normally, if under warranty the engineer would come to check it out and hopefully just repair it if he can see it is a fault covered by the warranty but if Samsung are saying it's not under warranty (which is a shame), then Currys would not be able to get paid for carrying out any repairs.

So that just leaves the retailer Currys and the sale of goods act. Technically they might be able to say they have no obligation because you didn't buy it from them, and although they may have taken it over when Dixons Online ceased trading and they are also sister companies, technically it was a different company so they could legally say it's nothing to do with them. I suspect this is where their, "good will gesture" comes from because they realise they could wash their hands of it but that would create a lot of bad feeling and lose you as a future customer so they are willing to acknowledge your consumer rights under the SOGA. Having said that they only want to pay out for a repair if the fault is actually something that should be covered, and that's fair enough.

So without any actual warranty you only have the Sale of goods act which says a product must be of durable quality and free from inherent faults. The problem is that, until an engineer has seen exactly what is wrong and what has caused it, no one - including yourself - really knows what the correct and fair course of action is. The fault could be anything including obstructions in the machine causing blockages or even something worn out through heavy use (just speculating generally) - or a leak for example could be coming from the plumbing and so on. The sale of goods act allows for products to break down (as explained in one of my articles linked to below). Depending on how much it cost, how it's been used and how often (big family of 5 or just 2 pensioners?) a fault after 2 and a half years "could" be deemed acceptable if it's only minor. These issues are rarely straight forward and highly subjective. Conversely if it is something very serious your chances of claiming it hasn't lasted a reasonable time are stronger. Ironically, the previous purchase you made where an £750 LG washer/ dryer lasted just under 2 years and was declared uneconomical to repair is a classic example of a washing machine not lasting a reasonable time and you would have had a very strong case under the sale of goods act.

So in summary, no retailer would ever swap a machine over or even offer a free repair until an engineer had reported exactly what the problem is. If you get an independent engineer out it will obviously cost you to get the report (although you could claim that back if you subsequently won a case), and may even be difficult to get one willing to do it, then there'd be delays in getting Currys to see it and (hopefully) accept it. In this situation I would consider getting Currys own engineers out who would hopefully be in a position to carry out the repair if they could see it should be covered under the sale of goods act.

Sadly though, all my experience shows that retailers very rarely do any repairs out of the initial warranty period for free under their sale of goods obligations unless forced to. If it's a clear cut case of being beyond economical repair they may, but if it's just a normal fault they will almost certainly be stubborn about it but if you felt strongly it should be covered you could decide to fight it in the small claims court. Without knowing exactly what is wrong you are completely stuck in limbo. Once you know what is wrong you can decide whether to accept paying to have it repaired or whether to fight them about it. Bear in mind that if you win they are allowed to knock off an amount to cover the 2 and a half years use you've already had from it so you would never get a full refund anyway but if this one is not worth repairing as well I would definitely fight it. You can't keep buying new machines every 2 or 3 years. Let us know how you get on please..

Take some time to read some of my consumer articles here for more insight into this -

Is the sale of goods act too hard on retailers? (this gives insight into why they are so reluctant to offer free repairs or replacements)

Out of guarantee – even by a long time doesn’t always mean you should pay

Sale of Goods Act gives us 6 years to claim for faulty appliances?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Many thanks for the quick response and advice.

I have already asked Currys to send out their own engineers, but they were unwilling to do this.

I don't know where I could find an independent engineer who would be willing to write such a report for me. Any help with how to locate an engineer and typical costs for such a service would also be greatly appreciated. I'm based in the NW England.

Thank you

I can only assume they won't send one unless you agree to pay if they say it isn't covered? It would be better if you could find a reliable local engineer but most tend to be uninterested in coming to write a report as there's no money in it unless they charge the same as for a repair. The biggest problem you have is that you don't know for sure you even have a valid case until you know what is wrong. What symptoms does the machine have?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Symptoms - Its a Samsung Ecobubble WF0804X8E Washing machine. It switches on and goes through washing programme cycle for the most part seems fine, but when it gets to spin it doesn't spin and the digital display shows a 'UE' error. I've looked in the instruction manual under trouble shooting which refers me to cleaning the filters, and spreading the load within the drum. I've done all that a number of times, checked the hoses to check that it's receiving water and draining etc, performed a number of 'drum clean' cycles but still appears to be having this problem. Even on drum cleaning cycle when the drums empty it fails to go into spin and displays the error above. Thanks

If the error description refers you to cleaning the filters and checking the load is balanced then it sounds like it's either not spinning because it can't balance the load, or it's draining the water out but not receiving the signal from the pressure system that the water has gone so it won't spin (thinking it's still full of water).

If the fault was caused by a blocked pump filter it would be leaving a lot of water inside the drum. If it was I'd expect you'd have mentioned that so I presume it is emptying OK. Obviously the laundry will be sopping wet if it hasn't spun but a blocked or failed pump would leave a lot of water in the drum.

The fault doesn't sound serious (hopefully). If the pressure system is blocked it could cause these symptoms and wouldn't be covered by any sale of goods act or guarantee (unless you could show it's a design fault) therefore getting rid of this dispute. If you use mostly liquid detergent and especially combined with lots of low temperature washes the pressure system can get gunged up. To read up on how this gunge and slime can build up read here - washing machine gunge & smells

However, it could also be an actual fault on the machine somewhere. The only thing you can do is either check for a pressure system blockage or get an engineer to diagnose the fault properly. If they say the pressure system is blocked then pay to get it fixed, if it's a fault elsewhere you would have to decide if it's worth taking the retailer to the small claims court to try and get it fixed under the sale of goods act but unless it's an expensive fix it's not going to be worth it sadly.

This article explains common causes of a Washing machine not spinning and links to more helpful and relevant articles including the one about out of balanced loads (If it is caused by out of balanced loads it should spin OK with no laundry inside (does it still have the fault if you set it on a normal wash cycle with no laundry inside?

Many thanks for all your help with this issue. To close this out then.......

Curry's weren't willing to help me and wanted me to get my own independent engineers report at my cost when they have an army of engineers at disposal (the least they could have done is sent out their own engineer - Its called good customer service and helps retain customers), so I've decided to never purchase anything from them or the other retailers under this group of companies for being so unhelpful about the whole matter.

So, I decided to try Samsung again and got through to a helpful agent. From my experience here it really comes down to your luck depending on who you get to speak with. The issue here was that as Samsung were claiming that I hadn't registered my 5 year parts and labour warranty I was no longer entitled to this (According to Samsung the warranty has to be registered within 90 days of purchase and a proof of warranty retained by the customer). I wasn't aware of this, and had sent off my warranty registration card 2 and a half years ago and hadn't received any kind of acknowledgement (I didn't know if I was suppose to). Anyway having telephoned Samsung the first time the unhelpful agent appeared to have my details, and I don't have any other Samsung products so I knew the only way Samsung had my details were through the warranty registration process, but wasn't 100% sure. So, eventually the helpful agent has done a history search and confirmed that Samsung had in fact received my warranty registration documents 2 and a half years ago. I asked for confirmation in writing to which they said was not possible now but in the future if I could my enquiry reference number that should suffice. Well Samsung are now progressing the repair under warranty and an engineer has carried out an inspection of the machine and confirmed it needs major repairs, new motor, drum, seals etc, so I have now been offered an exchange by Samsung, so I'm now waiting for confirmation of delivery of new machine and pick up on the old one. Hope this part now happens without further issue as it's been 3 weeks without a washer with trips to the local laundarette.

• Like 1

We have just encountered exactly the same problem with a Samsung washing machine purchased in 2015, the only difference being is that we bought the machine directly from Currys with the so-called 5 year parts and labour warranty. Following many phone calls to Samsung agents reading from the same script we were fobbed off with "Do you have proof of the registration of the warranty" despite giving them the reference number and emailing them all the sale documents including receipt. We then went to the Currys store in Belmont Durham that we bought the machine from and waited in a long line of customers complaining about their warranties not being honoured. We gave all the documents to the staff person dealing with complaints and he said they would be in touch within 72 hours. On the final day we received a letter claiming that our machine was out of warranty but Currys were offering a £144.99 voucher to spend on a new washing machine in full and final settlement as it was uneconomical to repair. When we rang the number to speak to the senders of the letter it was explained that the only route they could offer was the "Out of warranty route" which was a voucher towards the purchase a new one. When I stated that we bought a 5 year parts and labour warranty and wanted it repaired they explained that Currys only cover the first 2 years then the next 3 are supposed to be covered by Samsung. This is a blatant case of mis-selling as none of this was explained at the point of sale and we only bought it because we thought we had 5 years cover. When we explained that the voucher was no good as we would never buy another thing from Currys they offered a direct payment by BACS into our account within a further 72 hours if we accepted it as full and final settlement. So to summarise there are 2 lessons learned here - 1. Currys mis-sell their products with impunity and are not to be trusted so don't buy anything from them and 2. Samsung provide products which do not last as long as advertised and do not honour any "warranties" that they allegedly provide and furthermore have pre-prepared scripts for agents to fend off long and many calls from people who have bought these warranties in good faith so don't buy Samsung products period.

We have learned a costly lesson but like the person above hopefully our bad experience will help other consumers to make the right choice when shopping both in terms of who to buy from and which brands not to touch with a barge pole.

Yours,

Neil Mckie