Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Fogmatic

Eco Time Button Is For 'reduced Loads', But By How Much?

I've had an Indesit IWC61455 for 2 years and there's a button I haven't tried yet, because I'm not quite clear about it.

The instruction booklet says this 'Eco Time' function button will adjust a program/cycle to do a quicker wash (for lightly soiled cottons/synthetics). (So far, so good).

It also says it's for a "reduced load". But by how much? (Trial-and-error doesn't appeal, especially with the long-distance travel needed from here to replace any clothes!).

Not all the programs that the Eco Time function may be used with share the same maximum load.

I can't find the answer anywhere in the booklet (though I have to say it's still a great improvement on the instruction booklet that came with my last machine, also an Indesit. That one was very dumbed-down and uninformative!).

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Yes it is a little bit vague to just say reduced load. The only thing you can assume is that they mean any load that is not a full load. When washing just a few items or half a load. It probably just uses less water. More sophisticated washing machines will do this automatically by sensing things like the absorption level of the laundry or even sensing the load on the motor. I think it's safe to say that this particular button is just useful if you aren't washing a full load and want to try and save a little bit of time. The only, "harm" you can do using this button is if you select it inappropriately which may result in the laundry not been washed as well.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

These things usually do seem to need a bit of trial-and-error (even the liquid detergent I use shows dosage for hard or soft water, but nothing about load size/capacity). But my last washing machine's booklet was a particularly good example of why all instructions should be written by a non-expert who's new to the subject.

My current machine's not one of the most sophisticated ones, which suits me fine! It's controlled by dials & buttons that provide all the versatility I need, which is quite a lot (and it has an 'extra rinse' setting to offset the modern false economy with water), and it's always cheerfully worked away with no complaint. The last machine had a digital display panel, cryptic fault codes and the temperament of a prima donna. I was glad when it failed definitively and justified a replacement; it had been taking all day to coax it to complete a wash.

My reason for buying Indesit is measurements.

When we moved from the UK to Ireland in 1992, we couldn't afford to move any appliances (or get a water supply). Then, in about '98, my husband found a discarded washing machine under a pile of offcuts at work & brought it home, and all it needed was a new door seal (and we had the water by then). This machine, an Indesit, looked decidedly 1970s in style, but when asked they posted me a photocopy of the instructions for using its few buttons. It served happily for years after that, during which it was accommodated in our building of a utility area.

It wasn't till the machine finally expired that we found out that it was shallower than most machines, and there was no way to fit in a standard size. The appliance shop man insisted all washing machines were the same depth, so I found the model I wanted on the web, went back to the shop & ordered it. (Installing was touch-and-go, as it had a bulging front that they hadn't included in the size spec, but we squeezed it in with 2mm to spare).

Choosing a washing machine seems to have been getting more and more complex. The last 2 machines we had in the UK were simply the latest model of the Hotpoint top-loader (recommended as best machine more or less unanimously for years). Researching for our latest machine started in the shop, by picking up the Indesit catalogue. Having eliminated any models with the wrong depth, I narrowed the choice down to 1600 spin (the fastest), and then capacity (fairly large, but hopefully not uncomfortably large for the machine - I had already discovered your website!). But ithe shop's computer couldn't find my chosen model. They'd been replaced by new ones (before the shop received the new catalogue), so I had to start again.

Maybe this reduced maximum spin is supposed to save energy? Or maybe there's a mechanical downside to speed?

There is definitely a downside to spin speed. It doesn't use any more energy really, at least not anything significant, but it does add to wear and tear on the rest of the machine and costs a lot more. I have an article on washing machine spin speeds.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.