Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

malcspring67

Hoover Optimawashing Machine

Hey folks. First time poster here. We have the above machine and have had it for about 18 months 2 years now, but it has had a horrible black deposit on all the internals of the machine including the soap drawer and chute running down the pipe into the machine for quite some time. It has also left a black sludge on the inside of the door seal. Not only does the inside of the machine smell but it has transferred the smell to the clothes, so they are left with a foisty smell once they are dry. The smell is very pungent and it is horrible as it obviously follows you around everywhere. I have bought Hoovers own brand machine cleaner, but that doesn't seem to work. Yesterday I resorted to putting a load of bicarbonate of soda in the drum itself and sqirted some bleach into the soap drawer and ran it on a 90 degree wash, but empty.

We do live in a good water area (no limescale), but I don't know where this biofilm is coming from. We keep and use our machine in a utility cupboard, but all the plumbing is routed out of the cupboard and down the drain.

We did have an Indesit machine a few years ago and that had the same problem and we threw it out after a year. Quite clearly there is a problem, but I am at a loss as to what it is. We are at our wits end as the machine and our clothes are tainted with this awful smell.

Can anybody shed any light as to the problem?

Thanks alot

Malc

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I have an article on this very problem here - what causes black mould on washing machines?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.