Appliance Offers
chambo

Help To Identify Washing Machine!

Hi there,

This is my first ever post.

I have just moved into a new flat and the washing machine appears to be unbranded and built into my kitchen. I have taken a few photos of the dials and front of the washing machine. Unfortunately there is no manual and no clear instructions on the front. Does anyone have any idea what brand and model it might be and also what the the different program settings are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hksml9zq4rx1uar/2014-09-10%2008.16.27.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh6zq9nh5gpskk0/2014-09-10%2008.16.18.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ko7ydgvupcyef9/2014-09-10%2008.16.21.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hksml9zq4rx1uar/2014-09-10%2008.16.27.jpg?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am desperately in need of some clean clothes.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

It looks old. Familiar too, but can't tell what brand it is from just the control panel. What's that sticker on the top of the control panel in pic 2?

Try looking for a rating sticker behind the kick strip at the bottom, behind the pump filter or on the hinge behind the door which are all places they commonly put model and serial number numbers.

Also, for an idea how to use a machine without an instruction manual read this - no washing machine user manual

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your reply. The sticker at the top is just a Electrical test sticker to say it has passed. The only serial or code I can see is on the inside of the door. I will take a photo of that this evening.

Cheers

Hi Jason,

Looks like a Merloni machine to me based on the programming. Merloni made a lot of unbranded machines for certain kitchen companies.

If would help if you could post a picture of the detergent drawer as this should have a program list on it.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I keep forgetting to take photos of the machine and the code in the door.

The previous tenant/tenants must have replaced the detergent drawer unfortunately as it has no porgram list or anything written on it.

The only text visible on the front is pretty much what you see in the above photos.

Cheers.

Hi Jason,

No problem. Thankfully, these old mechanical timer machines are quite easy to figure out. The program timer is essentially just how vigarous you want the wash action to be and the temperature dial controls the heat. Looking at the positioning on the dial, it looks like the programs are:

1 - Pre-wash

2 - cottons 95

3 - cottons 60

4 - cottons 40

5 - cottons quick

6 - rinses

7 - spin

The little wavey icon on the dial is the dryer function.

The buttons from left to right are - full/half spin, 1/2 load/dryer function, heavy soil and power

You should be fine using program 3 for bedding and towels and program 4 for clothes. Annoyingly, the temperature dial is missing. You should be able to adjust this whith a pair of pliars, the flat part of the spindle is where the arrow should be. Please try and avoid using anything less than 40 degrees as it can cause these machines to go mouldy.

Hi jetsystem,

Thanks so much for the info. You're a life saver. We have been washing clothes on completely the wrong setting.

Do you know what the programs 8-18 may be for? And also how come there are two time markers, one with an empty orange box.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

Programs 8-11 are synthetics and delicates, I'd imagine, but I can't decifer what they are. I imagine the 2 different markers around the dial are to identify different types of wash action.

I stand slightly corrected about the above, I think 1-4 are cottons as advised, but 5 is rinses and 6 is softener rinse/special treatment, with 7 being final spin. The grey areas seem to indicate rinses and spins, whilst the orange areas are wash programs. The solid thick line is cottons, I suspect the hollow orange areas are synethetics with the single line being delicates. So, just hazzarding a guess, but I suspect:

1 - Pre-wash

2 - cottons 95

3 - cottons 60

4 - cottons 40

5 - cottons rinses

6 - softener rinse/special treatment

7 - full spin

8 - synthetics 60

9 - synthetics 40
10 - synethetics rinses

11 - short spin

I'm guessing 14 might be a delicate cycle. Not sure about 16-18, sorry.

It might be best to try a few cycles out with no clothes in the drum and see what they do.

Cottons cycles should have lower wash water levels, vigarous wash action, 3 medium level rinses and a full spin at the end.

Synthetics should have a medium wash level, more gentle wash action, 3 medium rinses and a short spin

Delicates should have a deep wash level, very gentle wash action, 3 deep rinses with a short, slow spin

Maybe worth having a play around to decifer what's what? I know that 1-8 are definitley cottons and can be used for most day to day washing.

Thanks once again for such a detailed reply. I have actually printed off your responses and stuck them onto my notice board for when I do my washing.

It was quite frustrating not knowing what all the numbers and baffling icons meant.

I think your replies are a prime example of the usefulness of forums and members who have such a fountain on knowledge and information like yourself.

Really appreciate your help.

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

No problem Jason, glad I could help.

It's quite easy with the older, mechanical timer machines - usually, the higher the number, the longer and hotter the cycle will be with spins and rinses towards the end. It doesn't help that this machine doesn't have a detailed program list on the dispenser like most do.

Happy washing!

It's quite easy with the older, mechanical timer machines - usually, the higher the number, the longer and hotter the cycle will be with spins and rinses towards the end.

Aye that's what it says in my help article which I linked to in my first post but many thanks for going the extra mile and posting a detailed analysis JetSystem :)

• Like 1

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

It's quite easy with the older, mechanical timer machines - usually, the higher the number, the longer and hotter the cycle will be with spins and rinses towards the end.

Aye that's what it says in my help article which I linked to in my first post but many thanks for going the extra mile and posting a detailed analysis JetSystem :)

No problem, glad to help. I know that 90% of people don't pay half as much attention to their washing machine (or washing machines in general) as I do lol!