I have a couple of problems with my machine relating to the water. I had a repair man come out to fix the machine (pump issues) and when he left I put the machine on, and when the drum turned anti clockwise there was a loud clonking noise which stopped when it turned clockwise. After the cycle had finished the clunking noise hasnt started again since but Im wondering if this is to do with the water issues Im having?

When I turn the machine on, the machine fills with water then drains a tiny amount out, then starts the cycle, is this normal?

The machine is not filling with enough water, I looked in the manual and it said the water should be at the bottom of the door but it is nowhere near reaching this level although it seems to when it goes onto the rinse cycle? I was told to turn the stop tap up and have turned it up but it hasnt made a difference and I guess I am asking is there something else I need to try before ringing the repair centre?

I don't believe it would fill then drain some out, that would be a waste of detergent.

Turning the stop tap up wouldn't affect my machine one bit. Machines have a pressure sensor and as water enters the drum it increases pressure in a plastic tube with goes to a switch. Once there is adequate water, the pressure switch operates and then turns off the water and allows the cycle to begin. Sometimes as the cycle starts it may take in more water as the clothes soak some up and reduce the pressure, you would expect that, but not for it to drain some away. Maybe the tube has some muck at the bottom of it. You can see the tube usually connected to the bottom of the drum and run up behind the front panel. If I get problems with water the first thing I do is disconnect the tube from the switch and give it a hefty blow.

• Like 1

My (Miele) washing machine activates the pump first when it starts a wash cycle, for a few seconds, then takes in water. Dishwashers commonly fill and drain at the beginning to flush things through. It shouldn't be necessary for a washer to flush water through at the start of a wash but if it wanted to it would let water in through the pre-wash compartment to avoid flushing any detergent into the machine.

Turning the water pressure up would be appropriate if the water pressure was so low it was timing out but if it was filling up to slow it would abort with an error code.

A fault on the pressure system (usually a blockage) could cause it to not take any water in and start washing immediately if it thought it already had water in but this same fault would also prevent it spinning. It's rare for a washer to not take enough water in yet go through a cycle OK. Is it washing the laundry OK and spinning it out properly?

• Like 1

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thank you both for your replies. Ive watched the beginning of the cycle today to try and explain what happens. First it takes in water in the pre wash compartment and fills the machine up then it drains a tiny amount out. Then it fills up with water in the detergent drawer and starts the cycle. I turned the pressure up on the stop tap and its made no difference. I stopped the cycle and drained the water with a jug and it measured 4 litres and obviously my clothes were wet so I think I can add another 2 litres or water onto that. Is 6 litres too little for an 8KG machine?

It's hard to say because washing machines these days try to use as little water as possible. Many have circulation pumps or design the drum paddles to scoop up water so that water is constantly sprinkling down on laundry to emulate a shower v bath. If you only drained with a jug there will be up to twice as much water still inside the machine under the drum and in the sump hose (unless you mean you let it pump out into a jug a bit at a time).

• Like 1

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thank you both for the help, just to confirm the pump is working fine. I stopped the wash mid cycle and just scooped the water out of the drum with a jug as daft as it sounds! Yes the machine does have an eco button on it but the funny thing is I'm experiencing the problems on the hot washes. If I use the eco button to wash in cold water it does bring the water level up to the door where it should be, its only when I do anything over 40 degrees and not eco that I'm having the problems with and Ive been topping the machine up manually by pouring water into the dispenser drawer. I guess Im just really asking whether it sounds like I do need to book a repair or not or whether it is all actually normal.

Ive added a pic to show the water level.

water_zps01ec366f.jpg

The 60 degree wash is the one they test for the eco labels. They may well use less water on the 60 degree wash so that they can cheat the energy usage labels. By using less water they can claim it costs less on that cycle because it will cost less to heat up a lesser amount of water. They get up to all sorts of tricks including even not letting them get to 60 degrees (Washing machines not delivering right temperature)

• Like 1

I'm still suspecting the pressure switch. It's shutting off the water too early. I had this problem on my hotpoint where the clothes were just getting damp for a wash. Strange thing is, I installed a new pressure switch and there was little improvement. I noticed small adjusting screws on the back of the switch and I discovered that altering these let me change how much water went into the drum. I'm not kidding when I say this is very fiddly because one slight turn and the drum fills to the top. Now my clothes are actually buried in water. Have you tried blowing down the plastic tube inside the machine? which runs up from the bottom of the drum to the pressure switch?

• Like 1

It should never be necessary to adjust anything on a pressure switch though, the screws always used to be sealed with wax to discourage it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp its very interesting and I never realised all that!

Edd, I haven't managed to blow on the tube, to be honest with you I wouldnt have a clue what Im looking for and the machines too heavy for me to lift on my own. I may ask a male friend to have a look for me as I think your on the right track with what you say.

I have a Hotpoint as well and to be honest its just been problem after problem and usually the engineers just fob me off as Im a middle aged female with no knowledge of how these things work!

I put the machine on this afternoon and topped if up with a few kettles of water and I could see the difference in the cleanliness with that extra water added in.

Please could I just ask one more question? I've noticed that on the wash cycles it does it in three parts; wash rinse and spin. When it washes it takes in the tiny amount of water and just uses that water for the whole of the wash, it doesn't take in anymore water or drain out a few times until the rinse. Is that normal?

Many thanks for your help.

Yes that's normal. It should fill with water, heat the water and wash in it until finished then drain it out and begin rinsing. With absorbent laundry you may get top ups of water as it gets soaked up by the laundry during the first minute or so of wash but then it should stick with that water until it's finished washing.

If there was a fault causing inaccurate water levels I would expect the level to be wrong on every wash cycle and not only on some.

What might be useful is if you give some idea of the time it takes to fill as far as it does. For example, once the water starts to flow into my machine, it gets to a quarter of the way up the door in 1 minute 15 seconds. Draining all that water takes 30 seconds.

• Like 1

Hi Edd,

Ive but the machine on a 70° wash today and then put it straight on an eco friendly wash straight after and here is what it does:

70° Wash

Fills in prewash for 5 seconds and stops

Fills in prewash for 30 seconds and stops

Drains out for 2 seconds

Machine pauses for 2 mins and creaks at the back

Fills for 15 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 16 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 15 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 11 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 11 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 10 seconds, drum moves,

Fills for 10 seconds drum moves and wash begins.

The water level is not visible, the clothes have soaked up the water and as the drum in turning water is not being splashed on the door. It is slightly wet on bottom of the door. The drum door is virtually dry after the wash. It then goes onto the rinse cycle:

Fills for 2:06 seconds and I would guess at the bottom of the drum there would be about 1mm of water. It drains this out after rinsing then refills for 2:06 seconds, rinses then spins.

ECO Cycle

Fills for 7 seconds in prewash drawer and stops

Fills for 32 seconds in prewash drawer and stops

Drains out for 3 seconds

Pauses and makes clicking noises for 49 seconds

Fills for 20 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 16 seconds, drum moves,

Fills for 12 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 13 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 12 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 8 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 6 seconds, drum moves

Fills for 17 seconds.

The water level is just below the door with the weight of the clothes pushing it up and the clothes look very wet.

It then does the wash then goes onto the rinse:

Fills for 2mins 36 seconds

Fills for 8 seconds

Water level visible to the bottom of the door. It rinses then drains then goes onto the second rinse and take 2mins 49 secs to fill and again the water level looks good. It took 42 seconds to drain. Unfortunately I forgot to time how long it took to drain on the 70° wash.

It doesnt seem right to me as I thought the eco wash used less water and it uses more than the hot cycles do.

If the washing machine is filling for as long as this it should easily be overfilling. On the eco cycle it's filled up for enough time to have totally flooded the kitchen. I have no idea why it would empty for a few seconds after the initial fill, but it could be starting it siphoning. Read this article carefully, which explains how a washer can get stuck in a fill and drain cycle - Washing machine fills and drains at same time

If it isn't siphoning then the washer must be sounding as though it's filling but hardly any water is going into the machine in reality. If you can see by pulling out the dispenser drawer that it is taking reasonable amounts of water in but the water level never gets higher than the lip of the drum then it must be siphoning out down through the drain hose.

Well there are 2 possibilities here. Ether a) not enough water is getting into the machine in the first place or B) the water is being drained as quickly or virtually as quickly as it comes in. I assume that the machine is attached to the kitchen sink waste? in which case as it's filling you should hear water running inside the kitchen sink drain. If its running through the wall separately from the sink, then a look outside at the drain when its filling will let you know if its draining it. This is the first and easiest test. With regards to a) I'm not sure if there's a timer involved where it gives up trying to fill irrespective of whether there is sufficient water or not. If this is the case then your water supply pressure is too low. Perhaps check where the washing machine pipes (flexible ones red/blue or both) are connected to the water pipes in the kitchen. Maybe under the sink. There are usually small taps either circular or lever type and you can check if these are both fully on. If you open the dispenser draw when the machine is filling you should see a real gush of water in there, so obviously only keep it open for a few seconds. If the water is only coming out slowly then the taps are not fully on, OR the pipes could be kinked. If the machine was pushed back into position with the pipes not carefully positioned, they may have been bent, cutting off a huge amount of pressure.

• 1 month later...

Hi thanks both for the replies, my friend finally got round to doing the checks you advised as its definitely not draining the water out when its filling up. The tap is fully on too. He took the drawer out when it was filling up and there was water coming out but he didn't need to replace it quickly as it wasn't going to overflow and flood the kitchen. He said there are no pipes kinked so its all still a mystery!

Its started behaving odd now, in the middle of the wash cycle it will just stop dead for about 2 minutes, then will fill up with loads of water to above the door level, then about 30 seconds later it will drain it all out then do a short spin before filling up and going onto the rinse cycle.

Just editing to add: It washes for 1 hour 5 mins, fills up for 1 minute at the end of wash cycle, then washes for 1 and a half minutes then drains out. As I was timing it, I heard the most almightiest crack by the door handle which to be honest as frightened the life out of me but I cant see any damage.

It needs checking out properly by an engineer.