Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

mac74

Best Wsh.mach. For £400Ish Please Advise

Hello all, my hotpoint wf321 6kg 1200 spin has just passed on after 6years, (never serviced it, 2/3wshs a week on av, single guy), and ive got to go out 2moro to get a new one from either currys, j.lewis or hispek. and was hoping for some advice. The main things im looking 4 in a machine is the ability to do 30min quick washes , whilst being ABLE to set the spin on max! rather than say 800. I know that a lot a w.m's dont do this (my old 1 didnt) and was wondering which do?? I was hoping 4 say a minimum 8kg/1400spin if poss?

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Unfortunately there are so many new washing machines with a ridiculous array of specifications and features it's beyond a joke. All washing machines should have the exact same features with differences only in build quality and drum sizes. Everything else is just stupid marketing and smoke and mirrors. They've been making washing machines for many decades, by now it's obvious what makes a good washer, what features are useful, which are essential and which are next to useless. They prefer instead to beguile with every washer being different in some way.

The only thing I can suggest is that John Lewis should know their washing machines features more than any other retailer so they will help, or if you have time, take up the Which? £1 offer which gives you full access to all their latest appliance and product reviews with several other extra benefits too.

In the £400 price bracket you are limited, I would look at Bosch or AEG, or John Lewis Brand (3 year guarantee) but none are perfect.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

I would highly recomend the Beko WML95145L. It features a 9kg drum, 1400rpm spin and features a daily quick cycle which does 3 rinses, a full spin and has variable temp from 30 - 95 (the daily quick 40 cycle takes 40 minutes and is fine for lighty soiled, everyday items. The daily quick 60 takes just under an hour is great for bedding).   It also has a split tub design, so any repairs that need to be carried out in the future will be relatively quick and cheap to do. It's available in Currys for £329.99  

Beko WML95145LW

Ps. If you're going to insist on using quick washes, please make sure you are using a good biological powder detergent and are performing regular maintenance cycles on your machine to keep the drum and door seal clean and mould free.

thanks 4 all replys, im sorted now.

Out of interest, what did you opt for in the end?

I got a (dont laugh) hotpoint wmef742 7kg 1400 spin A++, cheap @ £246 hi-spek (a which mag best buy,4 what thats worth?) The 30min fast wash is cold only 3kg load @800 spin, OR a 40/60/90c full 7kg cotton load, full 1400 spin @ 90mins.(time saver button). It will do a 60/40 degree was in 60mins and a full 1400 spin, BUT its a shame it only wants a 3.5kg half load? NOW here is my question - WHAT WILL HAPPEN if i put in say 5/6 or 7kg of washing in on that program??? Balance prob?? if so what will that do??, the guy in the shop reckons the wash would just prob take longer but still spin @1400?? PLEASE ADVISE anybody as ive not had time to try it yet and dont want 2 damage it. Anyway if it lasts me 6yrs like my last hotpoint, with me not adhering to the weight guide and just filling it up and not worrying about it, i will be v happy. In the end upon choosing a new one i thought it was counter productive spending twice as much on a machine lasting twice as long, because its the same difference! and even then u would probably have to buy a £800+ meile to get 10yrs+ i would imagine? I would feel gutted if a bought say a £500 bosch, 4 it to breakdown on 5/6yrs, and it costing couple of hundred quid to have it fixed. Maybe im missing something.Thank you 4 all replys. m

Hi Mac,

Don't worry, I'm not laughing. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it sounds like you got a good deal and it's all relative. The thing to remember is that it's not just reliability that you pay extra for. A Miele will wash, rinse and spin more effectively that the Hotpoint. It will also be more reliable, quieter and, in my experience, more time efficient.

With regards to washing full loads on quick, I wouldn't advise it. The machine isn't programmed to fill with enough water on those cycles to wash full loads, so you could end up with clothes that aren't washed properly and have dry patches on them. It could also cause issues with the spin as, again, the machine won't be programmed to distribute a full load on that cycle and the spin could fail alltogether. The full spin on a cottons wash is designed to build up in a way that the motor can handle such a heavy load, whereas on the quicker washes, it won't do this and could cause damage to the machine and leave the clothes sopping wet.

Now, please please PLEASE don't wash in cold water. Not only will this not wash your clothes properly and leave everything smelling musty, it will also leave your machine covered in mould.

Personally, I don't use quick wash at all. Are you really in that much of a hurry to get the washing done? Why not put the washer on at night on a full cycle and then it's ready to be taken out and dried the next morning? Failing that, standard cottons 40 with time saver will be fine for most things. The fast wash 60 will be good for bedding and towels.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a quick wash which will wash clothes properly. Only useful for freshening up stuff like a shirt or trousers worn only once. If any laundry is stained or dirty in any way they need washing properly, which takes a long time. There's no getting round the laws of physics.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Hi Andy,

Not necessarilly. My Grandma had a 1980 Hotpoint 18371 until 2010, that only took 45 minutes on cottons 40 and wash well everytime. The difference being that modern machines are cold fill only and use less water, so the heating stage is longer and the wash time longer to make up for the lower water level.

The modern Beko machines that feature the "daily quick" cycle with a full 6 or 7kg use a hell of a lot more water and very fast, vigarous tumbles, much like an older machine (I know, I'm flogging Beko to death aren't I? They really are the best of the budget machines though).

We're kind of stuck really. Many people still remember their old Hotpoints, Hoovers, Servis and Zanussi machines taking an hour tops. Consumers still want this, but they also want economical machines. The 2 features cannot possibly work together.

I'm with you all the way with regards to modern machines - quick washes are fine for small loads of items that just need a freshen up, but for full loads of dirty washing? Forget it. I also suspect that quick washes are largely responsible for detergent-triggered skin irritation as they can only do very quick rinses which do not effectively remove all the detergent.

Mac, on balance, in your new machine you're much better off using the full cycles and using the 7kg drum capacity to it's full potential. It'll be far more economical and your clothes will be cleaner. Quick washing full loads, you risk potential damage to your machine and poorly washed clothes.

Chris

Thanks andy/chris 4 the help, so if i wanted a faster 30/40c wash i would have 2 go to the biggest drum size re: the half load prob? i.e say a 11kg will do a 5.5kg decent quick wash? I could pass my new hotpoint onto my neighbour (maybe??) as hes looking 4 a new one, and take a sml knock on it. But b4 i go on 4ever, WHAT is the best machine to do short washes under £400? Sorry jetstream, but not a beko because they are very frowned upon when talking 2 people, and do look a bit cheap, sorry mate, but thanks 4 the fedback.

So you're out off Beko because they are "frowned upon"? Beko are a budget machine and for that, a lot of people can get very snobbish about them. I've had absolutely nothing but positive experience with Beko. My fridge freezer and cooker are both Beko. My best friend has a Beko washing machine. It's 5 years old in February. She has 2 children under 5 and the machine is never off and it's never missed a beat.

Whilst the budget end of the Beko range are quite cheap (and rightly so for £180!), the higher end models, particularly the 9kg models, are incredibly solid. They're also VERY cheap and easy to repair, should anything go wrong.

As far as I'm aware, Beko are the only brand in the budget end of the market that offer a quick wash cycle at full capacity. The budget range don't have this, but the mid and higher range machines have the "daily quick" cycle which will wash a full 7kg load in 39 minutes. You could always try it and if you're not happy with, return it within 28 days for a full refund or exchange to another machine? I have a £700 Miele and that won't do a quick wash at full capacity. Neither do Bosch or AEG.

Alternatively, you could just save yourself buying a new machine and use the full cycles on your current Hotpoint. Are quick wash cycles REALLY so important? Is it really going to be worth buying ANOTHER new washer just so you can use a quick wash cycle? Seems incredibly pointless to me.

I was thinking of all the modern machines JetSystem, with their quick washes designed for lightly soiled or freshening up only, which many people take for alternative programmes to normal ones but quicker. The old ones used to use much more water but even they only had quick washes intended for lightly soiled. A proper quick wash programme needs to wash with proper wash action as you say, and use proper amounts of water but even then with modern detergents designed for slow washes I wouldn't expect proper good wash quality results unless relatively lightly soiled laundry.

I've said for years that what we need is washing machines capable of washing in proper eco mode but also capable of washing in thorough but quick mode so that people can choose what's most important to them.

• Like 1

I would prefer a Beko to Indesit, or Candy.

I would prefer a Beko to Indesit, or Candy.

I wouldn't touch anything made by Hoover/Candy or Hotpoint/Indesit with a barge pole. If I was on a budget and buying a new machine, I'd get a mid-high end Beko for between £250 and £350.

Miele, Beko, Bosch/Siemens and (at a push) AEG are the only brands I'd consider owning.

I agree with your point above, Andy. Quick washing does not wash effectively. And not to be rude, but anybody who washes bedding, towels or underwear on a quick wash really needs to rethink their washing habbits.

• Like 1

Mac, the Beko WMB9144LW is on sale at Appliances Online for £300 with free delivery. It will wash a full 9kg load with a full 1400rpm spin in 39 minutes. Appliances Online have a 10 day "no fuss" return policy, so if you don't like the machine you can return it no questions asked within 10 days. Why not give it a try and if you're not happy with it, return it?

Failing that, try the Zanussi ZWJ7140W (also with appliances online). That has a "quick wash" option which brings a cottons 40 cycle down from 2 hours 15 minutes to 55 minutes. That's a bit more expensive at £425 and it has a smaller drum, but it is a JetSystem machine, so it's very quiet (with an induction motor) and it "showers" the clothes with water as they tumble around the drum. Again, the 10 day no fuss return policy is avaiable on this.

Beko - http://ao.com/product/WMB91442LW-Beko-Washing-Machine-White-23635.aspx

Zanussi - http://ao.com/product/ZWJ7140W-Zanussi-Washing-Machine-White-27585.aspx

Hello all, firstly chris, when i said beko were frowned upon, i was referring to sales staff in places like (old) comet, currys, hi spek and i did andys advise on the which £1 trial, and there was loads of 'dont buys' in the beko range, and the wm you mention beko wmb91442lw only scored 44% Sales staff also slag indesist, which are crap as my sister has had them, (yes i know they are the same company as hotpoint) but hotpoint are supposed to be their higher end stuff? Also im very aware that quick washes are only a helpful addition to NORMAL washing cycles, and are not 4 proper cleaning. The hotpoint model i went 4 was purely on the strength of the which best buy, 57% recommendation. However if id have known the spec of the beko b4 i got mine i would have conflicted between the two tbh because yours ticks all the boxes. Thanks m

• Like 1

Hi Mac,

Hotpoint and Indesit are built using the same parts and programming. Under the facia, they're exactly the same machine.

I never ever listen to sales staff in Currys. They're not trained and Currys are paid large amounts by manufacturers to push their brands. Hence Currys will try and force sell Dyson vacuums from time to time. The best in-store advice you'll get is in John Lewis as their staff are trained on a specific department (such as white goods) so they know what they're talking about.

Which? aren't always right with their testing. They've been known to rate 2 machines in the same range differently, despite having the same programming.

In my experience, you've just got to find a machine that suits the spec you're looking for and take the plunge. In terms of reliability between Beko and Hotpoint (for example) is likely to be very insignificant, but the Beko seems to have far better programming and are easier to repair if anything goes wrong