Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

pierreblonde

Ise 10 Year Guarantee Not Honoured

I bought an ISE washing machine 4 years ago with a 10 year guarantee. After 18months I called the engieer and he fixed the problem. During the next 2 years the machine has been fixed 3-4 tims without a hitch although they are slow in geeting an engineer out and the parts ( can be 2- weeks). In May this year 2013 my washer broke down and I requested a repair 1 week later the engineer came and ordered a new part which didn;t work. 9 weeks later the machine has been stripped and put back together about 6 times but still doesn't work. The company has now put me in touch with an insurance company who are advising me that the cost of the repairs will be taken off me and I would receive a small cheque to purchase a cheap washing machine with no guarantee. ISE customer service is terrible, they have not honoured their 10 year guarantee as I still have 6 years left. They have not repaired the machine but want to now charge me for "REPAIRS". I have a box of parts sitting in my kitchen, a family who are sick to death of me asking them to do my washing and I still have no washer or a resolution. DO NOT USE ISE THEY DO NOT HONOUR THEIR GUARANTEE.

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

I had a similar experience from ISE. I bought a washing machine about 3 years back with a 5 year guarantee. It was bought for a rental flat. I wanted something reliable where I wouldn't get calls from tenants. I researched and went with recommendations from this site.

The machine was a nightmare, after battling with ISE to get engineer to look at it, that was a challenge in itself! It was eventually written off as not worth fixing, took about 6 months of persistent calls to get them to honour the guarantee - they eventually replaced with a cheap washing machine (not ISE).

Painful experience - never again.

Receptionist who I dealt with was one of the rudest people i have ever dealt with.

I've looked into this, and it appears when ISE was set up (by just a handful of engineers) they tried to ensure that if anything happened to the company and they had to cease trading, the guarantees they gave would be safe, covered by an independent insurance company. From what they tell me, and what they have announced, everything was fine at first until the insurance company drastically changed how they dealt with things and started refusing to repair many machines.

ISE are and always have been a very small "manufacturer" who source their customised machines from major manufacturers and don't have the ability to deal with something like this. They've published a statement here

Here's part of this statement -

"ISE Reaction

Given that events have been sprung on us and that these changes, as well as others, have taken place without any form of consultation or no notification whatsoever and with scant regard for our customers or dealers we are at a bit of a loss.
Especially so when this is coupled with what we regard as poor and slow communications when these matters are queried with the broker.
Thus far, no contact with the insurer has been made directly as CSS has not yet given us a direct contact within that organisation.
ISE does however recognise that CSS has managed to sort out payments for claims in February 2013 dating back several months.
That aside, ongoing it would appear that the insurer and/or broker is trying to avoid risk by placing the onus back upon ISE. Risk that ISE paid to mitigate, the primary reason that
ISE chose and paid to insure initially.
We are obviously seeking to find an amicable solution but given the communications and the utterly disgraceful way that we feel our customers are being treated, this is an increasingly difficult position to maintain.
For this, we can only apologise. We tried to do the best possible for our customers only to be let down by forces that are completely beyond our control.
We are stunned to be blunt."

I'd expect none of this is likely to bring much comfort, or gain much sympathy, but it often helps to at least see some explanation for things. I've always supported the ISE concept and written honestly about them in my reviews. I always advised that most ISE appliances were just normal machines on a par with Bosh, Zanussi etc (which is how ISE marketed them on their site too). The difference was that they would be chosen and customised to be easier to repair, and parts would be much cheaper as well as being easily repairable by local engineers, with ISE supplying all technical information and support (unlike many other manufacturers).

As with any company relying on networks of repairers or dealers they've had their fair share of ones who have let them down and not given the standards of levels required.

I personally was always puzzled as to why they didn't only sell the high quality ISE10 appliances, which is the case now. But they tried selling "normal" machines for some years before deciding to concentrate only on the high end ones. Obviously it's likely to be in part because they wanted to be able to supply to all pockets but the ISE10's are genuinely higher quality than most "normal" machines and that's what is needed.

I dropped the bit about them being normal machines a year or so back when they moved over to just the ISE10s but it seems my ISE review on Washerhelp is in need of a total rewrite and update. I still support the concept, but as a very small business they seem to have struggled to achieve some of their laudable aims and concepts, which is a shame, though not really a surprise being as they were such high ideals.

There are some people with machines that the insurance company is refusing to repair, which is completely contrary to the whole concept and point of ISE. It's extremely sad for me to hear about ISE washing machines being scrapped by the insurance company when one of the major points of them was that they would be much more repairable than all the others. That was the annoying and frustrating status quo they tried to change.

As far as I can see ISE have stopped selling all their "standard" normal machines and only sell the higher quality ISE10's which is great (apart from the extra cost needed to invest in one) and they no longer use the insurance company for the 10 year guarantee who are dictating events.

I wrote an article 3 or 4 years ago, which I've recently updated where I point out that these extended guarantee companies are increasingly being relied upon to mitigate the horrendous cost of spares and repairs but naively people are not realising that you can't just pay for an extended warranty and let them take the hit - these companies are surviving by drastically reducing the cover and they are scrapping a substantial amount of appliances instead of repairing them. It's the exact same problem experienced by yourselves but people all over the country are experiencing it too. My article is here What You Need to Know About Appliance Extended Warranties

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

My machine is an ISE 10 and I was under the impression that it was on par with Miele..... wrong...... My niece bought a machine fro Leadgate DIY near Consett and it broke down times in 18months. She only paid 215 pounds and they replaced it and gave her 20 pounds which was the difference in price. I paid 850 and cant get a repaiur or replacement !!! Wish i had gone local and bought a Miele. ISE 10 classed as a great machine but utter rubbish I think.

I've never said the ISE10s are on a par with Miele. They are higher quality than other washing machines though. I've updated my review - ISE washing machines

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

The problem we have found with the ISE concept is it only works if your local "independent" engineer is competent. We have an almost 6 year old ISE10 which we had been broadly happy with, it had been fixed for a couple of minor problems by a competent local repairer before but about 10 months ago it developed an intermittent fault which seemed to have something to do with the electronic control systems (programmes getting stuck mid way through, immediately restarting at the beginning again after finishing a wash without stopping, draining and opening the door with a load full of soapy wet washing and refusing to restart, control light indicators flashing between one setting and another etc.) additionally it also kept telling us the drain was blocked and nothing could be found when this was checked. We called ISE who sent a different local engineer to the one we'd had before. He seemed like he'd never seen an ISE10 before and spent most of his visit reading the manual, he then turned it on and as the intermittent fault didn't show in the first few minutes he said he didn't have time to hang around looking at it and left. We later got a letter from ISE asking us to pay £80 for a no-fault call-out. We wrote and objected to paying out when we felt he hadn't even looked at the machine but got no reply. A couple of months later the intermittent fault became more frequent and we e-mailed ISE who denied ever receiving our earlier letter, we'd sent them an e-mail video of the flashing display lights and they replied back to say it was all our fault for either over-loading, using too much detergent or the wrong detergent. None of their remedies worked including the electronic reset procedures. Eventually we lost patience and got our own independent engineer to have a look (who by coincidence turned out to be the chap who had successfully repaired it in the past). He and his assistant took it apart and examined the inside checking all the hoses/electronics etc. and told us that it had a "low earth" reading on the motor which could confuse the electronics and this would vary according to the length of time the motor had been operating. He felt we needed a replacement motor and also possibly a replacement PCB as well which would not be economic to do unless we could get ISE to do it under the warranty. After E-mailing ISE with this advice and a copy of our engineers invoice on which he'd written his diagnosis we then got a phone call from ISE's original engineer saying he had been asked to come back. On his return he didn't even look at the machine but just told us that from our description and the findings of our engineer he accepted there was a fault but would not order a motor but get a PCB and a new pump and return with that but only get a motor if that didn't work.

It was another 2 months of hearing nothing with the fault getting more frequent when we phoned him and asked why he'd not been back. He said ISE rang him after his visit and told him as he hadn't personally seen/diagnosed the fault then he should do nothing further and that they would contact us which they never did. We e-mailed ISE again with further video footage. Their response was intermittent faults are impossible, we've had 2 full specification checks which have found no fault and they'd only send another engineer of their choosing again if we agreed in writing to pay his costs plus those of the previous 2 visits (presumably £240).

We can't prove their engineer didn't do a full specification check as you don't tend to think you have to make a video recording of a visiting engineer and I'm not sure how many would agree to being recorded while they worked. But now we have a useless lump of scrap metal in our kitchen which is supposed to have 4 more years of guarantee to go!

Legal action would be costly and would likely leave us without a functioning washing machine for months, I'm sure ISE are aware of this!

I would never buy from them or their associated website UKWhitegoods again.

My ISE AW23 machine has just been written off whilst (just) inside the 5 year warranty period. Got a small cheque from the insurance company.

Have contacted ISE but they don't want to know - they just blame the insurance company. ISE refuse to accept any responsibility for the premature failure.

Despite their sales pitch about the machines being designed for longevity, easy to repair etc, ISE do not stand by these claims when things go wrong. They blame it on the insurance company, blame it on wear and tear, blame it on the independent retailer I bought it from !

This is the first machine I've ever owned which has failed to last until 5 years old.

From personal experience, I strongly recommend anyome against buying an ISE machine.

It's a great shame. The ISE AW23 is not one of the extra high quality ISE10 machines (the ISE10 machines are the ones they claim are built for 20 years life), but their ethos and USP has always been to have all of their machines much more repairable, with cheaper parts than anyone else, and to therefore last longer.

From what I can gather from the statement they issued, ISE insured their appliances, but attracted a lot of customers who used their washing machines quite heavily because they saw the promise of something better than the average washing machine. So overall, ISE customers apparently used their appliances a lot more heavily than other manufacture's customers which is what the insurance company based their policy on. Remember these none-ISE10 machines have never been touted as above average high build quality machines). As the breakdowns and costs were much higher than the insurance company expected, predicted and had figures to predict they stopped paying out (no doubt using a get-out clause). If the insurance company have refused to repair it read the explanation from ISE and decide if you can accept that or not (ISE INSURED PRODUCT STATEMENT). It's easy for me to sympathise with their position as I know how sincere and laudable their aspirations were but I've not been personally affected.

They've now stopped selling all appliances other than the Asko made ones which are of higher build quality. If you have any comeback it's (as always) with the people you bought it from and not the manufacturer (under the sale of goods act). Apparently the average lifespan of a "normal" washing machine is now a mere 6 years so a retailer would argue that it's almost lasted an average time but of course they were sold on a promise of lasting longer than average.

I've just learnt today that ISE have ceased trading :(

Hi, I don't believe it. Yesterday my £1000 Ise10 washing machine leaked all over our new wooden floor. We bought the machine in March this year and also bought the tumble dryer I have just phoned our repair agent and he has just informed me that Ise have ceased trading and I will have to pay close to £100 for a call out. My hubby is going to go nuts. Any advice re the next step? The water has come from underneath the machine. Nothing to do with loose hoses etc

Hi Winston, being as you also posted the question in another topic I'll link to my reply there Ise Ceased Trading

Can anyone tell me the name of the insurance company that they have been dealing with re payments for faulty machines? I have a machine with a 10 year warranty. It is nearly 5 years old now. I have had very little trouble with it - just a few minor issues which were solved instantly by a very competent local engineer. When it went wrong in October this year, I discovered that engineer had retired. The following 2 ISE appointed engineers had no ISE experience. Over the last 2 months several parts have been ordered, delivered and fitted, but no success. The last email I received said the insurance company had now decided to "write it off". I have heard nothing for a month now. Can I dispose of the machine? Sadly, 2 years ago, I also bought the matching tumble dryer! I think I have now spent more money at the laundrette than a new (cheap) machine would have cost....!

Hi Sillwood. As far as I'm aware the Insurer doesn't deal with the customer, the extended guarantee (or warranty) is between the customer and ISE. The third post in this thread tries to explain what happened. Because ISE have ceased trading spares are apparently not available at the moment. If it's an ISE10 it should in theory still be worth repairing if it can be but because of the completely unstable and unknown future of these machines it might be too much of a risk unless it's not too expensive. As far as I would expect, if they've written it off they've washed their hands of it. Have you received any money? It might be worth something to an ISE dealer for spares if it can't be repaired?

I had received an email from ISE telling me they would attempt no further repairs and that I would hear from the insurer. But I haven't (over a month now). I have not received any payment. I was hoping someone who had received a payment could tell me who the insurer was so that I could contact them (as I am unable to contact ISE). I gave a whole box of spare parts (ones that didn't resolve the problem) - not sure who I could sell this all too. All advice gratefully received. Thanks.

It should be a good machine, and last a lot longer than 5 years. The problem is that all servicing and spares have stopped and ISE seem to have just closed shop. A great shame. This sort of thing has happened a lot before and to much bigger companies like Servis UK (twice) and MFI to name just 2, and it's always the same. Even if they get bought out the new owners don't usually honour any previous commitments and customers are left with nothing. I have a small article about retailers going bust but not specifically about manufacturers, the principles ought to be very similar though. There's also a link to a Citizens Advice Bureau file - Buying appliances online: What if the retailer goes bust?