John Lewis give 2 year guarantee on white goods appliances

Hi guys & gals,

I urgently need to get a new Washer Dryer.

My first question is:

Is there a list of names/brands under their headquarter names ?

Candy being part of Hotpoint etc.

I don’t want anything to do with Hoover/Candy, so need to know which brands also have nothing to do with them.

Second question is: (the most common one I guess)

What seems to be the best thing at the moment ?

I don’t want the cheapest,,,, I can’t afford the dearest.

I need it to be able to handle small loads as well as large ones. Most of my regular washes are socks, pants & t-shirts – so I don’t need large load washing every time.

Apart from that, I want it to wash clean (!?) & dry pretty well (although I don’t usually dry to bone dry, preferring to hang items for the last hour or so).

Who are good suppliers of such things – including low prices + good service. I’m in West Cornwall, so probably buy on-line.

Any other help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my first post.

Hi. we have a 'middle of the road' washer dryer from Zanussi. It's not the cheapest, but there again, it's not the dearest. It works well and the cleaning is satisfactory and the drying cycle works fine if you don't overload the machine. I would recommend you take a look on the Zanussi web site.

All the best,

gael

Many thanks Gael, for taking the time to write.

I have never owned a Zanussi, though I did use a friends when I stayed with her.

I now see that its owned by Electrolux, so in some pretty good company.

I'll certainly have a look at the brand.

thanks again for your advice Gael

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As per my first question, there is already a list of brands & owners on this site.

This helps a lot if you are brand or owner conscious.

For example, Candy/Hoover also own Kelvinator & Zerowatt (great sounding names eh ?!) though why the good old Hoover got involved with Candy is beyond me.

At least I now know a couple of brands that I will avoid at all costs -(please don't ask - too long & exhaustive).

Hopefully; With the kind permission of the owner, I copy it here for other readers:

CANDY:

Candy

Hoover

Kelvinator

Zerowatt

ELECTROLUX:

AEG

Electrolux

John Lewis brand

Tricity Bendix

Zanussi

MERLONI:

Ariston

Cannon

Creda

English Electric

GDA

Hotpoint

Indesit

Merloni

New World

Philco

Thorn

• Like 1

In your price range I would go for Bosch, Zanussi, AEG or John Lewis brand. John Lewis brand appliances have a 3 year guarantee.

Need a repair or spare parts? 

Book a Repair | Buy Spares (Cheapest prices guaranteed)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

All the really good ones cost more. You can get a Bosch or Zanussi one for that price or less at John Lewis both of which have 2 year guarantees (at John Lewis washer dryers) but make sure the specs are good enough, the Bosch one is only a 5Kg wash 2.5Kg dry capacity which is very small by today's standards. The Zanussi one is 6Kg which is still relatively small but not bad.

There is an 8Kg AEG though currently at £609 with a £70 cash back offer and 5 year guarantee. That's more like it.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your help again.

Since putting that limit, I do now realise that it wasn't quite enough,,,,, well, not for what I want.

I'm the sort of person who expects a Rolls Royce for ten bob ! Its strange how I keep being disappointed !!!!!

I tend to forget that prices have gone up since I bought anything new.

I tend to do a lot of research, get exactly what I want - knowing it HAS to last, and so far has done.

I had seen that AEG one, & noted the 'cash-back', although I can't just recall all the features. My head is swimming with facts & features, but difficult to put said facts to the correct machine now - I'm suffering from 'old-timers disease' !

Never had, used or knew anything about the brand, so might give that one a bash.

cheers for now

• 2 weeks later...

After quite some searching, I think I've narrowed my search to 2 machines - BUT, I'd still appreciate comments.

Can anyone see a lot of difference / pro's n con's, between these two please ?

AEG L75480WD

SMEG WDF147

cheers

I would go for the AEG L75480WD, it's a Which? Best Buy and got a really good review.

Why take out a Which? £1 trial?

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your previous advice Andy.

Since then, I’ve been applying to ‘Business Solutions’ for preferential rates.

After this time, they offered me 2% discount - if I spend over £1000.

JL themselves would offer more than that + Price match, delivery, ext warranty etc.

Soooo,,,, I’m now ready to buy:

I still like the look of AEG L75480WD, but it looks like JL have discontinued it.

I’m sorry to take up your time again, but what - in your opinion - is the current state of affairs for my requirements ?

Is there anything better for the same money (or less),,,, any new Which reports ? I think I want to stick to the same brands/stable – although I have never used SMEG, or know which umbrella the brand comes. I have seen some decent reviews.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Know anything about cookers ?

I’m getting rid of my crap Fagor double fan unit, in favour of a similar (but better quality) Induction hobbed item. Possibly Stoves 600EI.

All the best

If you take advantage of the Which? £1 offer link above you can see all their latest best buys, reviews, and even "don't buys" straight away, plus you get a free Which? magazine.