Appliance Offers
vinylj

Beko Wmb71642W - To Buy Or Not To Buy?!"

Hi

I am considering buying the Beko WMB71642W but am unsure if its a good decision.

Although it has generally good reviews I also hear that Beko machines in general have a relatively poorer safety record and that buying spare parts can be difficult and expensive.

Has anyone had any personal experience of this model? Particularly repair engineers!

Any thoughts or advice are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks

Jason

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Reviews do seem to be mostly positive. Beko are a budget brand but generally OK. They do seem to have had a few problems with safety issues recently but then so have many other brands including more expensive ones. Spares are pretty OK too and plenty available on 4washerhelp - Beko spare parts

Beko are usually easy to work on too but personally I'd favour Zanussi or Bosch.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I wouldn't touch new Zanussi machines with a barge pole.

The quality has completely dropped off on them, the cycle lengths are too long and the new range all have a horrendous "filter in the drum" set up. I also believe Zanussi have scrapped their top end machines with the induction motors, so all their range now has a rather cheap, chinese made motor in them which makes a very high-pitched whiney sound when the machine is spinning.

AEG are now pretty much the equivilant of what Zanussi machines used to be in terms of performance and build quality.

AEG have the completely sealed tubs too. Most washers are not very good. I would definitely favour Bosch over Zanussi but even they are cheap washers now. When looking at the budget end - there aren't any genuinely "good" ones :(

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

It's a sad state of affairs really these days that you have to pay through the nose for a decent machine (Miele). Not so long ago, you could buy any machine and it would perform relatively well and give you at least more reliability than a modern machine.

My other half has just replaced a Hotpoint WF225 with a Beko WMB71642W 1600rpm (£259 from appliances online) and it's a darn sight better than the Hotpoint ever wash in just about every way - quieter, better washing results, more options, faster spin and good cycle lengths. I really can't fault it, so lets just hope it lasts.

I did research for my article - are washing machines made as well as they used to be? and found that a Hoover washing machine cost £94 in 1973, which is equivalent to £973 in today's money. They are no where near that price, which in most part is due to mass reduction in quality and repair-ability.

I did research for my article - are washing machines made as well as they used to be? and found that a Hoover washing machine cost £94 in 1973, which is equivalent to £973 in today's money. They are no where near that price, which in most part is due to mass reduction in quality and repair-ability.

That's a really great point, Andy, nice one!

In theory, when looking for a new machine that is the same or of similar quality and reliability to an older machine, one should expect to pay the equivilant amount. £973 would get you a Miele, Siemens or ASKO/ISE - all very high quality machines.

• Like 1

Cheers JetSystem. Although improvements and consolidation in production techniques will account for some reduction in costs, completely dumbing down quality to as low as possible and making them unrepairable accounts for most of the disparity in costs between what they used to be and what they cost now. Completely sealed plastic outer tubs help no one but reduce the costs of manufacture by a small amount which when multiplied up to the millions they churn out becomes desirable to manufacturers - either because of greed, or quite possibly a real need to survive.

Ultimately though, most people think £800 is outrageous for a washing machine when the reality is it's a reasonable real-world cost for a high quality machine and £200 for one with similar specs is going to get you unrepairable junk in comparison.

It's not just limited to the washing machine world either. A friend of mine recently bought a new vacuum for £25 (yes, £25). I said "why didn't you splash out a bit on something that will last and do a better job?" Her response? "Well, if it breaks in 6 months I'll just buy another one for £25. Not big deal". I was shocked. I remember going to the repair shop to get our vacuum fixed when I was a kid. But as I learned when recently trying to replace the carbon brushes on some Vax bagless heap of rubbish, most (if not all) cheaper vacuums are now glued together and you can't get into the motor housing without smashing the machine to bits.

I spent £175 on a Sebo X1.1 and never looked back.

Actually, come to think of it, all my appliances are German. Funny that :rolleyes:

I bought a Sebo about 7 years back, it's rock solid, just like they used to be made in the 70s. I remember back in the 80s I used to repair irons, kettles and toasters :)

Nice choice witht the Sebo, Andy. I bought my Sebo when I moved into my house 4 years ago. Never missed a beat and it's built like a tank.

Gosh, yeh, I remember getting our iron fixed - I think all it had was a replacement cable and it was a fairly cheap repair. These days, of course, it would be thrown in the bin and end up in some landfill somewhere.

I used to replace the main elements on irons, and the stats back in early 80s. You tell that to the kids today... and they won't believe you.

The wife hates the Sebo btw. It's far too heavy - doh! Can't win ;)

I used to replace the main elements on irons, and the stats back in early 80s. You tell that to the kids today... and they won't believe you.

The wife hates the Sebo btw. It's far too heavy - doh! Can't win ;)

Hey, I'm 24 and I remember getting things like the iron, vacuum and the TV repaired.

My Mum borrowed my X1.1 when her Panasonic gave up the ghost and she also found it too heavy. She now has a Sebo Felix, which is a tad lighter and a bit more versatile to use, but equally as good. She's perfectly happy with that.

• Like 1