Appliance Offers
Thepeted

Strange Washer Installation?

Hello washerhelp.co.uk!

I have just moved in to a new house and whilst I have a basic understanding of plumbing in a washer, both me and my Dad are flummoxed with how things have been left for the washing machine.

I've included a couple of photos to illustrate:

post-2011-0-54103000-1349360108_thumb.jp

The first photo shows the gap left for the washer.

post-2011-0-82306400-1349360152_thumb.jp

The second photo shows the arrangements under the sink.

There is fitted cupboard inbetween the two - distance from washer to standpipe is about 4ft.

Whilst there is a hole for the waste pipe in the gap for the washer, we think the units must have been fitted around the waste pipe - wondering whether we are therefore knackered on that front - unless there are any tricks for feeding it through (best guess, coathanger and a piece of string!)?

Another mystery is how the waste pipe was fed in to the standpipe? Assuming the outlet to the right is removed?

I was planning to utliise the installation service from the likes of comet/currys, but I'm worried they'll take one look at this and run! More generally speaking, is this a sensible arrangement anyhow? There is an outside drain on the opposite side of the gap for the washer, however aside from the cost a drawback of this route is that the gap is already shallow, without having to accomodate a standpipe.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Pete

Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Retailer's installation services will almost always just connect the machine to existing plumbing. If there's any problem at all they'll refuse to do it and many will still charge. I doubt they can legally do so if properly challenged but I've seen cases where they charge to "connect" a machine but unless it's a 2 minute job requiring no tools they refuse to do it and refuse to refund the money. I appreciate this may be acceptable if they've sent someone out specially, but not if the same guys who deliver are charging to connect it and don't.

The drain hose must have fed al the way round the back of the units into the cupboard with the u-bend in and connected to the plastic spigot on the u-bend. They may have had a longer drain hose or extended it. You can extend drain hoses if it won't reach or fit an extra long one..

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks for your reply Andy. I'm feeling more confident about retaining the existing configuration and installing myself.

Are there any special tools or techniques that can be used to feed the drain hose along the back of the units though? I can't access the space behind the units, only the holes at either side.

Great site by the way.

Pete

Thanks Pete. It depends how far it has to be pushed through, would an unravelled wire coat-hanger taped to the end of the hose help?

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your Spares (4Washerhelp)

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

That's my plan, although it will take 2 coat hangers taped together as the hose has 4 foot to travel. First attempt ended in failure I'm afraid but I think it's worth a few more attempts.

I will update this post with the results in case it helps others.