Appliance Offers
fairmount

Water Inlet In Domestic Machines

Hi,

Does anyone know if ANY of the water that enters into the washing machine go straight into the drum? We want to add a certain liquid into the washing machine before switching it on. But want to find out if any of it will enter into the drum directly OR if it will go straight under the drum.

The one that I have got goes straight under the drum, but what about other washing machines? any expert advice will help immensely.

Is there any place I can look at to find out the percentage of washing machines that might let water into the drum?

Your person experience is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

FM

Book washing machine & appliance repairs

Ransom Spares

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

Water runs onto the outside of the revolving drum from the dispenser hose. Some will splash directly into the drum through the small holes and most will run down into the outer tub and slowly rise until it gets into the revolving drum through the holes in the bottom.

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Book appliance engineer | Buy your appliance Spares 

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

Thanks Andy. The reason I asked the Question is I want to wash some fabrics with 2% concentration of caustic soda. I intent to pour 20% caustic soda solution (1 litre) in the soap drawer before switching on the machine. Do not want the highly concentrated solution to touch the fabrics. From what you are saying, it should go under the drum first right?

Is it the same in all washing machines? or are there any old ones in which they go directly on the drum?

Thank you once again.

FM

Yes it should be the same for any washing machine but some water will go into the drum as I described. It sounds pretty strong stuff to be putting into a washing machine. Does it say it can be used in the washer? Couldn't you dilute it in a container and pour it in the drawer once it's started filling? Still not fully sure what you are trying to do :)

Need an engineer, or to buy appliance spare parts? Please use my affiliate links to support this forum.

Warning:  Read this before attempting any diy repairsNo representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of advice. I can't be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

No, it does not say it can be used in a washer. This is generally used for mercerising cotton and is for industrial use only. But, I want to try it in a washer. Just trying to soften some cotton fabrics. Do not want to be diluting around 15 litres of it every time.

Ideally, I want to slowly pour 1 litre of this chemical into the soap dispenser before switching on the machine. Do not want this to come in contact with the fabric before the machine is switched on. I intend to ask several of my friends to try this at home...hence want to make sure that the poured chemical goes under the drum in all the machines.

who better to ask than experts who deal with several washing machines.

Thanks for your responses.

Kind Regards,

FM

Is it 2% or 20%? You use both percentages so I'm unsure. Many washing machines only take in about 3 litres or so of water on wash. It sounds like you know what you are doing regarding the fabrics and presumably if the solution won't harm cotton it won't harm plastic, rubber or glass in the washing machine?

If dilution strength is critical I would suggest filling the machine with water on wash and then cancelling the programme and letting the machine pump the water into a bucket to judge how much water will be taken in and therefore dilution quantities. If none can touch the laundry before it's all in the water then you can't pour it into the soap dispenser because some of the water will definitely go into the drum and onto the laundry.

oh..sorry for the confusion. I meant that I will be pouring a 20% concentration in so that it becomes 2-3% after the water is added in.

It is really interesting to know that some machines take only 3 litres though. I measured with a water meter on couple of machines (2006 indesit and 2011 hotpoint) and they took about 8 litres during the main wash cycle and assumed will be the same for most of them.

Guess I have to check for every washing machine that I intend to use.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

FM

The amount of water used can vary considerably between makes and models plus smaller drum capacity washing machines will take in less though it was only a very rough approximation.