The problem continued so suspecting a faulty sensor I decided to order a replacement Temperature Limiter from Partsmaster for £33.29. I fitted this but after a couple of days the same problem reoccurred.
It happened again today, so while I had the lid off for the umpteenth time to reset the limiter I decided to bite the bullet and dismantle all of the hot air extraction ducting and extraction fan housing. There were a few bits of fluff in the ducting itself but the extraction fan was another story, the gaps between all of the fan blades were clogged solid with fluff/lint, it is no wonder the sensor was tripping due to overheating as the fan will have been barely drawing any air in this state. After about an hours work with a pair of tweezers I had cleaned the fan out and had collected the dish full of fluff in the photo. I expect the drying performance of the machine to improve dramatically after this clean out, and presumably the temperature limiter trip problem should now be sorted.