This page contains a full list of all the washing machine information on Washerhelp in topic order.
Buy spare parts
Specific parts explained
Genuine washing machine parts advice
- Genuine spare parts (part 1) topics covered -
- Genuine washing machine spare parts (part 2)
Avoid these pitfalls
- Spare part pitfalls advice (Avoid these common mistakes when purchasing spares) topics covered -
- Manufacturers sometimes fit different versions of parts to the same models (So you may need to specify a specific number to get the right part)
- There's often a model number on the control panel but it's useless for locating spare parts
- Can washerhelp send me a spare part?
- Can Washerhelp give me technical support and help me track down and fit a spare part?
Spare parts suppliers
- Washing machine spare parts suppliers section topics covered -
- What's the difference between spare parts suppliers and a normal retail shop?
- Is the model and serial number all I need?
- Are numbers on the actual part any use?
- How to find a spare part - what information you need from the washing machine
- Where to find the proper model number and serial number on a washing machine
Buying and repairing washing machines - your rights
- I don't want my washing machine repaired - I want it exchanged
- More consumer advice on washing machine repairs (part 2)
- More consumer advice - washing machine repairs (part 3)
- Repair company only give a 3 month guarantee on repairs. Is this reasonable / Challengeable?
- If I take time off work and an engineer doesn't turn up, can I claim compensation?
- My (under guarantee) repair company can't send an engineer until next Wednesday and it's Thursday - can they do this?
- Repairers say the washing machine fault is not covered under the guarantee and I have to pay
- More consumer advice - washing machine repairs (part 4)
- More consumer advice - washing machine repairs (part 5)
- What are our rights when buying a washing machine online?
- I bought a second hand washing machine from a trader, what are my rights?
- I bought a second hand washing machine in a private sale, what are my rights?
- I want to claim compensation because of faults on the washer
- How to take court action
- The company I bought my appliance from has gone out of business, what are my rights?
* More… (go to consumer advice section)
Washing machine reviews index. NOTE: Many are now archived and not necessarily available any more though they give a good idea of the kind of quality the brand offers.
- AEG Lavamat L76669
- Bosch WAA24160
- Candy CN120
- Dyson CR01
- Electrolux EWN 14991 W Time Manager
- Hoover H160E
- Hotpoint WD64 washer dryer
- Indesit W103 (UK)
- Indesit WIL133
- Indesit Moon (This is an article on my white goods blog)
- John Lewis JLWM1202 (Washerhelp recommended)
- LG WM14225FD
- Miele washing machines - build quality review (Washerhelp recommended)
- Miele W864 (Washerhelp recommended)
- Miele W 3740 (Washerhelp recommended)
- Tricity Bendix AW1001
- Zanussi ZWF1010W
- 100's of current washing machine reviews at Which? for £1 (Including Best Buy's and Don't Buys)
- More reviews on Washerhelp's forum
- Are new washing machines made as well as they used to be?
- Are new washing machines only built to last 5 years?
- Do washing machines have built-in obsolescence?
- Washer-dryer, or separate washing machine and dryer - which is the best?
- If I pay more for a washing machine will I get a better one?
- Which are the most and the least reliable brands?
- Which is the best washing machine to buy?
Buying a new washing machine tips
- What do the new energy labels mean?
- Are all new washing machines the same size?
- Do all new washers use the same pipes and plumbing?
- Should I buy an extended warranty / guarantee?
- Should I buy a cold fill washing machine or hot and cold fill?
- How to install a washing machine
- Spin speeds : Are fast speeds a con?
- ECO energy labels and washing machines
Hotpoint Carbon Brushes FAQ
- How do I know if I need to fit new carbon brushes? (useful advice for most washing machine brands)
- Which carbon brushes do I need?
- How to replace carbon brushes in a Hotpoint washing machine
- Is it safe to repair my own washing machine?
- Where to buy Hotpoint carbon brushes
- Hotpoint carbon brushes diagnostics and fitting
Specific DIY advice *
Don't copy repair advice and pass off as your own in other forums and sites, which damages Washerhelp. Please only quote small sections and at least link to the information
Water leaks, filling, draining and heating problems
- No water comes into machine
- Fills with water overnight or when switched off
- Won't pump out the water
- Won't pump out water after connecting in a new house - but it did before
- Not heating up the water
- Constantly fills with water and goes down the drain
- more diy advice below ..
Washing problems and programme faults
- Program sticks mid-cycle
- Making holes in clothes (Ext link: my Blog)
- Not coming out clean or has marks on it (Article now revised and updated, and moved to my white goods blog)
- White streaks after washing
- Badly creasing laundry
- Stops with an error code
- Stops with lights flashing
- Empties the water and aborts programme just after starting, or mid-wash
- Program selector knob (dial) clicks round continuously
- Hotpoint washing machine shows tESt in display
- Fusing, or tripping the electrics
- Won't spin or drum won't turn round
- Drive belt keeps coming off
- Door is jammed and won't open
- Door or hinge broken
- Washing machine is dead and wont start
- Washing machine is noisy
- Getting electric shocks from the washing machine
- Washing machine smells or gives off bad odours
- What causes washing machine smells or grease, slime & black mould in washing machine
- Conditioner doesn't get taken into washing machine
- Gets taken out too soon
- Conditioner compartment full of water after wash
You must be competent to carry out repairs, and must accept responsibility for your own and other people's safety.
Washing Machine Usage
Usage tips and advice
- Am I overloading?
- How do I avoid out of balanced loads?
- Washing isn't coming out clean or has marks on it
- How to avoid grease, slime and black mould inside washing machine
- How safe is it to leave washing machine running whilst out or in bed?
- Should I turn off water taps when washer not in use? (This article is revised and moved to my white goods site)
- Which is best detergent - powder, liquid or tablets?
- Should I use Calgon or other anti limescale tablets?
- Is it better to put detergent in soap dispenser or straight in the drum?
- How to remove stains from my washing / laundry
Hard water and limescale in washing machines and plumbing
- What is hard water?
- How do I know if I have hard water?
- Is hard water bad for you?
- How does hard water and limescale affect washing machines?
- How does hard water and limescale affect plumbing and other appliances?
- Should I use Calgon anti limescale tablets or other such products?
- How can I deal with hard water and remove limescale? Should I use a water softener?
Instruction books and user manuals
- How to wire a plug properly
- Who really makes your washing machine
- Using extension cables safely with appliances
- What do the energy labels for washing machines mean?
- Can I install a washing machine in a bathroom?
Product safety recalls on washing machines