9 replies to this topic

#1 marko2002

marko2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hi guys.

I somehow managed to put detergent in both the drum and the conditioner tray yesterday and as you would expect there was foam everywhere!.

The cycle finished and my wife went about rinsing the clothes, which, after 3 rinse cycles still were not rid of the soap. So I took them out and flung them in the bath to rinse them as she went about putting in another load. The machine fired up, sounded as though it was trying to drain something and then simply stopped and all the lights (included the on/off switch) started to flash. We tried turning off the power at the mains for a few minutes and tried the washer again. Same thing.

So, I checked the filter and a whole load of black water came out of it, along with a couple of coins!. Cleaned things up a little and still the same ... no matter what cycle we put it on, it will only go so far and then stop with all lights flashing. I poured water into the drum with the filter out and it came straight through but I did notice that water didn't seem to be getting in so checked the supply and all fine.

I put the filter back in place and poured a couple of jugs of water into the drum and tried draining - flashing lights again. I tried a normal spin, and this time the machine DID start filling with water and went half way through a wash cycle, and even drained but when it came to spin it died again and all the lights just started flashing on and off.

The machine is just over 2 years old and I'm tearing my hair out at this having to cost me a small fortune to have it repaired - I mean 2 years old?!.

If anyone can offer any advice or troubleshooting I'd seriously appreciate it Posted Image
Thanks in advance
Marko

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#2 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

If you get soap, or something like washing up liquid inside a washing machine the suds can be so strong that the pump is unable to pump out the water properly. The impeller simply whips up the foam more and more and it fails. In such circumstances the only way to clear the water is to keep pouring in cold water and letting it drain out of the machine into a bucket or bowl until you've diluted it enough for the pump to be able to cope. If this is the cause of your current problems though I would expect there to still be a fair amount of visible foam in the machine.

As you have moved the washing machine in order to look at it, one possibility is that you've pushed the drain hose pipe to far down the waste water stand pipe (if it uses one) which will cause the water to siphon out down the drain. The reason I mention this is that at one point you say "the water doesn't appear to be getting in". Check this article

Washing machine constantly fills with water and goes down the drain

Please consider using my relevant affiliate links and ads to support my sites. 

• Disclaimer: You must be competent to carry out repairs, and accept responsibility for your own and other people's safety* -  DIY repair safety and tips

* I use all reasonable efforts to ensure information contained on Washerhelp is correct and accurate, no representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of such information. I therefore cannot be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information appearing on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

#3 marko2002

marko2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply - just to clarify ... the water doesn't even go in the machine, it's as if there is no supply at all, but I've already checked by taking the supply hose off and turning on the supply valve and water most certainly shoots out. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be foam in the machine, I've took out the filter, checked it, I've even taken the pump off altogether and it's certainly free from any suds as is the drain pipes, etc.

I haven't checked the drain waste pipe that goes to the fittings under the sink (not a stand pipe, actually plumbed directly into the waste pipe under the sink) but I didn't really think I'd have the need to. At the moment, I pluf the machine back in, select a program (wash) and it's as if the drain pump kicks off for a minute of so, then the drum will start turning slowly (still no sign of it taking water from the supply) and after a while it simply stops and all the lights start flashing.

I had someone out yesterday to look at the machine and he "reset" the memory and checked a few other things over. He said there was a little dampness inside the machine and advised we leave it off overnight and it should be OK this morning. It's still doing the same thing and I've called him back again but I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what could be wrong myself to avoid having to constantly put money out on it.

Cheers
Marko

#4 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

It sounds like the issue is that the washing machine isn't taking any water in now.

• Disclaimer: You must be competent to carry out repairs, and accept responsibility for your own and other people's safety* -  DIY repair safety and tips

* I use all reasonable efforts to ensure information contained on Washerhelp is correct and accurate, no representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of such information. I therefore cannot be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information appearing on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

#5 marko2002

marko2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks again Andy .. the person who was "meant" to come back today didn't show so luckily we have someone in the family who deals with washing machines so tomorrow we'll hopefully have an answer :)

#6 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm not surprised to be honest. From your report of his first visit it didn't sound like he was onto the problem. Let us know how it pans out please.

#7 marko2002

marko2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Well, our in-law managed to get out on Saturday and tried a variety of resets on the machine, manually putting water into the drum and starting a cycle and he even called an engineer collegue he knows who works for Hoover and he explained that normally in these circumstances they would just replace the "board" as its more or less a "fix all" for most things electronic, which he reckons this one is, so thankfully he's coming back out today with the necessary gubbins and we'll get a very favourable price - probably a quarter of what it would usually cost, so my wife is hovering over the collection of washing we have in the hope he appears anytime soon :)

Thanks for the help mate
Marko

#8 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Fingers crossed. Please let us know if it worked or not.

#9 marko2002

marko2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Well, unfortunately we had even more hassles as the guy who was meant to be coming back out didn't show either, a few calls later and he was trying to get the part required but as the days turned into more than a week we've basically just decided to scrap the idea altogether of attempting to fix the damn thing and we're just buying a new one. It's really quite a sad day when we're willing to pay someone to fix our machine and people just don't seem to want the hassle - kinda brings a new perspective on the economic crisis if I'm honest - I work with computers for a living and if someone wanted to pay me for a job I'd bite their hand off, I certainly wouldn't leave them hanging with no phone calls or contact for over a week - why is it so difficult to find someone to fix something in return for cash these days !??
Anyways, thanks for the help offered and I'm just sorry I couldn't post a more satisfactory outcome to the tale
Cheers
Marko

#10 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Yes it's outrageous how some tradesmen treat people. I've had many experiences myself over the years of so-called tradesmen in most trades that are a disgrace. It's very hard to find a truly excellent tradesman and if you do they should be treasured. Many of them couldn't even be bothered to return a telephone or email query about a potential job.

Many of them, if not out and out cowboys just cherry pick easy jobs, and anything that looks difficult, awkward - or even any customer they don't take a shine too or who looks like hard work - is ignored or given the run-around. They don't deserve to survive in business.

I suppose most are men, and we all know men hate to admit they are wrong :) so when they are unable to fix something maybe they just can't find it in them to simply say I'm sorry I can't fathom out the problem. Some of them just blatantly make up a load of rubbish and tell them they can fix it, but quote such a high price they know that no one in their right mind would pay it, so they "cleverly" get out of it.

Finding good repairmen

One of the best sources of high quality repairmen is if you are a Which? member and can use their Which? Local service. I've used it several times to find tradesmen and had really good people come round. Full details and other engineers can be found on my appliance repairers page and you can get a trial membership for a full month for just £1 which comes with a lot of benefits as described here - Which? £1 off - what's the catch?