• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 shawlw

shawlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

That's pretty shocking about detergents being so harsh. I'll have an update I think in a few weeks. I've used mainly the earth friendly liquids, and years ago I used a powder that made the fabric feel harsher, even though whiter, which is why I ended up on liquid, and the last few months also trying a "baby" soft type liquid detergent. Thanks. Laurie

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#42 shawlw

shawlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi. I bought a new washing machine and no longer have the holes occuring in my clothes. It was the only way I could see to resolve this. Very happy with getting back to normal spin cycles too.

Thanks for everyone's comments on the Forum. There is more to washing than I ever thought :-). Cheers, Laurie

#43 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Laurie. Researching small holes in clothes has revealed it's a problem with many possible causes, and the washer is just one of them. It seems to have been the culprit in your case though. It's always good to get follow up information

#44 SazzyLG

SazzyLG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

This is happening to me too.  It's always my clothes at the front.  I rarely wear a belt and it's happened to clothes that I know don't have holes when I put them in the machine and they do when they come out.  I do chuck everything in the same wash, so maybe should try putting my clothes in a delicates cycle.  But having read everything I'm thinking of just going and buying a Miele.  Is that a bit too rash and expensive?  It's driving me mad and ruining all my clothes!! Help!!

#45 shawlw

shawlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Andy (Administrator) has collated a lot of information from differing view points and experiences in the Forum. So, I went through the content and tried different things out to make sure. I reached a point where in my case there was only one way to solve the problem which was via my bank account. What I can say, is that after I made that decision, I can't tell you how relieved I have been to have things back to normal, and that was worth it.  Something else may go wrong down the track, but this time around, my purchase decision was based on country of origin, hopefully parts availabiity here in Australia across a range of brands, and not tying in an engineer to one brand. I can't comment on this aspect correctly though as I am not experienced in the ins and outs of it. The Forum does not discuss machine brands, so I may not comment on the brand you mentioned. I might add, it is kind of funny, my friends have washing machines that have been going on for years and years, and years!

#46 Martin Miele

Martin Miele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

I too have a problem with my Siemens washing machine creating small holes in mainly t-shirt type fabrics.  I think I have resolved the problem and would like to share my ideas with you all.

Irrespective of spin speed, the fabric should not be pushed through the drum holes where it can be snagged or caught and my Siemens washing machine which is around 5 years old started to do this a few weeks ago having never done it before, so I knew a fault had developed; but perhaps not an obvious one to an engineer such as a sharp area in the drum etc.

The fabric was subject to an additional force, other than the centrifugal action of the drum spinning, in order to pull it through the hole in the drum and I now believe I have linked this to a blocked vent tube on the water drain hose, that would create a vacuum in the drum area, caused by the water exiting under pressure from the drain pump.

If you do not have the skills to attempt this then please don't, but make this suggestion to your engineer.

With the top of the machine removed, trace back the drain hose and near to where the hose exits the chassis, there is a feedback hose approximately 8 mm diameter and 120 mm long connected to the outer drum casing and also the water drain hose.  I assume this allows a small amount of water to enter the drum area whilst the water is being pumped out so a vacuum is not created.  Guess what, my hose was blocked with gunge like detergent and conditioner and water could not flow back into the drum so a vacuum strong enough to pull fabric through the drum holes was being created.

I removed the small tube and cleaned it out, blew on one end to ensure that air and water could enter the drum and I have not had the problem since.  This hose may not be something an engineer would check as there doesn't appear to be a fault and it is unlikely that he would measure for a vacuum being created in the drum as the water exits.

I would be interested to see if there is a pattern across all machines as I am sure they will all share this design, so please let me know if you or your engineer checks this tube and it is blocked and whether this solves the long-standing mystery of small holes in t-shirt fabrics.

Good luck!

#47 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Very interesting theory thanks. It can't account for all the holes as there are many different causes but it might account for some. I have a comprehensive help article on checking the pump for blockages

Please consider using my relevant affiliate links and ads to support my sites. 

• Disclaimer: You must be competent to carry out repairs, and accept responsibility for your own and other people's safety* -  DIY repair safety and tips

* I use all reasonable efforts to ensure information contained on Washerhelp is correct and accurate, no representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of such information. I therefore cannot be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information appearing on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

#48 Sinmon

Sinmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

I just found this website after being frustrated with my washing machine. I bought it almost two years ago and thought I was going crazy. After my boyfriend moved in and started using my machine, he also started noticing small holes in his clothes. The holes are all the same size and shape and occur on items like knit tops and lightweight cottons.

I am resigned to the idea of buying a new washing machine, but reading these forums makes me wonder what kind I should buy? Without mentioning a specific brand, can you recommend a specific type like a top loader vs a front loader?

Thanks in advance,
Suzy

#49 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Miele should be the gentlest of washers, especially models with their honeycomb drum, but even the odd Miele owner has complained of holes in laundry. However, we don't know if they were caused by the washing machine or one of the other causes not related to washing machine or not.

Front loader or top loader?

#50 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing holes in my clothes due to a front loader. I have a 10 kg Eco bubble smart front loader of a brand mentioned in earlier posts. The machine is causing damage to everything and anything from towels, cotton t-shirts, my daughters tutu dresses, woollen blend socks you name it. New, old, never worn, never used, first wash and I'm finding more holes with each wash.

My machine is under warranty so I have had the manufacturer send out a technician to assess and repair, the technician found "no fault" by the machine but still sent the manufacturer photos of my damaged clothes. The outcome was that I was told to drop the water temperature and spin speed. If I was to experience any more holes I need to document the wash cycle used and photograph the damage.

Well I now use a cold wash with a spin speed of 400rpm and guess what yep you guessed it it is still putting holes in my washing! arrgh
The latest damage was just this morning. I hung on the line a brand new Gym towel only to find not a small hole but a huge rip! Now this item has never been used, it was straight out of the pack and going through its first wash! (Cold wash and spin speed of 400rpm)
I was back on the phone to the manufacturer only to find myself more frustrated than ever when they tried telling me there was nothing wrong with my washing machine. Long story short, I now have the technician returning to assess and "fix" my washer in a few days.

I am determined to not let this big manufacturing company sweep this issue under the rug or drag it out until my warranty is up. I paid $1300+ for this machine and believe that no matter what cycle chosen a washer should not be causing this much damage to clothes. There has to be a fault with the machine and not the user.

I will keep updating as this issue progresses.

#51 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

It's interesting that the holes still continue even on 400 rpm spin, which is extremely slow. It does sound to me though the the manufacturer is taking it reasonably seriously, despite believing there's no fault they are still trying to get to the bottom of it. Try stretching an old pair of tights over a hand and rub it all over the drum and paddles so see if you can find something it snags on which might account for it.  Please keep us updated.

Please consider using my relevant affiliate links and ads to support my sites. 

• Disclaimer: You must be competent to carry out repairs, and accept responsibility for your own and other people's safety* -  DIY repair safety and tips

* I use all reasonable efforts to ensure information contained on Washerhelp is correct and accurate, no representations or warranties are made (express or implied) as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of such information. I therefore cannot be held liable for any loss arising directly or indirectly from the use of, or any action taken in reliance on, any information appearing on this website, which is given free of charge and in good faith.

#52 Joshbicky98

Joshbicky98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

If you have a Miele honeycomb drum or any machine with a drum like that, no holes appear even at 1600

#53 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Miele should be the gentlest of washers, especially models with their honeycomb drum, but even the odd Miele owner has complained of holes in laundry and I know of at least one who had honeycomb drum. However, we don't know if they were caused by the washing machine or one of the other causes not related to washing machine or not. I wouldn't expect a Miele honeycomb drum to cause holes.

#54 ladana

ladana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

So happy I found this site as I have been going crazy for the past year trying to figure out why my husbands t-shirts (pretty durable material) has holes after washing.  Actually synthetics are ok, but cotton t-shirts are the victim here.  I will try some of your suggestions, however, I wanted to chime in to tell everyone this is also happening with Miele washers as well....with the super smooth honeycomb drum.  It was very expensive and has been eating our t-shirts since the very beginning.   

#55 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi Lovyan, unfortunately there isn't an "answer" because the problem seems to have multiple causes and it's not always the washing machine. All the possible causes I'm aware of are listed in my article (linked to above) plus there's useful information in all the comments. Some have reported changing the washing machine and it stopped the problem but others have changed theirs and it didn't. Some have found it eased by using slower spin but others haven't. It would certainly be worth trying reduced spin speeds though.