Photo
- - - - -

Is 6 Years A Decent Life For Washing Machine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieC

CharlieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi All,

I have a good quality AEG LAVAMAT that has lasted 6 years so far. The seal got slightly damaged (shirt got caught and slight tear in seal). This resulted in a leak (thank god we were in the house when it happened).

My question is whether to buy a new machine or get the seal replaced about £80. Is 6 years a good run for an AEG?
Or should we just count our losses and use the money toward a new AEG or is it worth getting it repaired?

The seal has smelt for a while (we did not remember to do a service wash) and I also wonder if this may have affected other parts of the machine.

Very happy with AEG by the way, the damage was purely human error. It has also reminded me to thing twice about using that timer at night, it would have been a disaster if we'd not been in the room!

thanks
Charlie

Get Special Offers Book washing machine & appliance repairs Buy appliance spare parts Buy Appliances | Main help site is White goods help

Note: The links above are needed to help keep this site running, please consider using them.

#2 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hello Charlie. I would say it should be worth fixing, especially if you are happy with it. Of course if any other things failed not long after you could wish you'd bought a new one, but if everything else is in good condition it could last several years longer. At the same time as acknowledging how many people prefer not to gamble on repairs these days I also think it's a bad policy to throw things away the first time they fail - especially in these environmentally aware days.

A new AEG washing machine may be 350 or so (depending on the specifications). Ultimately it's a gamble but it should last 10 years or more as long as none of the main parts need replacing.

#3 CharlieC

CharlieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:28 PM

thanks for the guidance.
I also think it is worth the gamble but wasn't sure how long an AEG machine should last. 10 years sounds fine.

This throw away mentality is terrifying and the ramifications are going to hit our kids. So this is a conscience decision more than anything. Now all I've got to do is find an honest washing repair man in south west london :-)

Thanks for the tips on your site - much appreciated!

Cheers
Charlie

#4 Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Washerhelp_Whitegoodshelp

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

You might find this main Washerhelp page useful - Washing machine repairers It contains advice and tips regarding choosing a washing machine repairer and links to a rough guide of the manufacturers labour charges.

I also have a direct repairers page where I list several appliance repair companies - Washing machine and white goods appliance repairs

#5 CharlieC

CharlieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

BRILLIANT. THANKS A MILLION!

:)